Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Sorry where did I "tell you what to think" ?

Right here 

Coming from someone who thinks it's fine to deny people most of their rights "stay at home, meet up with nobody" your opinion on what constitutes "a right" is rather narrow.

And for the record it's not my opinion on what constitutes videoing your kids a right. 

if you can find anything that states parents have a right to film their children at private venues then I'll happily change my stance.

unfortunately I don't see that anywhere in the ECHR

• Like 1

And now for something completely different, but still based around Modern Society's excessive risk aversion.

I am certain I am not the only one getting ***ed off with all these one time passcodes they require you to use. Even if you are logged in to your digital banking with your password and PIN code they still often want to fart about sending me a one time passcode. And that isn't to transfer money out of my account, I can accept higher security should apply for that, it's just to access your accounts and poss transfer money between them !

But come on, I have just paid my business PAYE to the HMRC and my bank (RBS) insisted on sending me a one time passcode for it to go through.

To pay the HMRC for Gawd's sake ! 

Now, who the hell would use a stolen card to pay the HMRC ! ! !

It's laughable.....

Edited by Chekhov

22 hours ago, Delayed said:

>>Chekhov said:
Sorry where did I "tell you what to think" ?<<

Right here 

Coming from someone who thinks it's fine to deny people most of their rights "stay at home, meet up with nobody" your opinion on what constitutes "a right" is rather narrow.

Good to hear I was wrong and you do not you think it was fine to deny people most of their basic rights, "stay at home, meet up with nobody".

I am more than happy to correct the record.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Good to hear I was wrong and you do not you think it was fine to deny people most of their basic rights, "stay at home, meet up with nobody".

I am more than happy to correct the record.

You're twisting my words to save face. 

I did think that staying at home was the right thing to do in a time of national crisis.

On the topic of this thread, restricting the use of cameras in a private venue is not a denial of a basic right. 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

And now for something completely different, but still based around Modern Society's excessive risk aversion.

I am certain I am not the only one getting ***ed off with all these one time passcodes they require you to use. Even if you are logged in to your digital banking with your password and PIN code they still often want to fart about sending me a one time passcode. And that isn't to transfer money out of my account, I can accept higher security should apply for that, it's just to access your accounts and poss transfer money between them !

But come on, I have just paid my business PAYE to the HMRC and my bank (RBS) insisted on sending me a one time passcode for it to go through.

To pay the HMRC for Gawd's sake ! 

Now, who the hell would use a stolen card to pay the HMRC ! ! !

It's laughable.....

It is irritating, particularly at this time of year. A partial solution is to pay these big bills through your the saved payments on your online bank account and on the same device. Our bank stores previous transactions and enables another payment to be made to that account-it seems to recognise the mobile and asks for more proof but the PC and laptop payments go through without any more checks.  This seems reduce the number of 'hoops' you have to jump through to satisfy the bank security. Unfortunately it does not stop my stupidity when I once sent a considerable sum to the whole of the HMRC.

45 minutes ago, Delayed said:

You're twisting my words to save face. 

I did think that staying at home was the right thing to do in a time of national crisis.

On the topic of this thread, restricting the use of cameras in a private venue is not a denial of a basic right. 

Ehhh !

I said that, and you contradicted me !

>>I did think that staying at home was the right thing to do in a time of national crisis.<<

"National crisis" ?
A virus 99% of people survived and had an average age of death in the 80s ?

If you think that was a national crisis, what word would you use to describe the Bubonic plague ?

Or WWII ? 

Or even Spanish Flu ?

>>On the topic of this thread, restricting the use of cameras in a private venue is not a denial of a basic right.<<

You may say that. 

I feel that preventing me filming my lad doing the most wonderful thing he has ever done is so.

PS have you got any kids ?

And are they good at anything ?

If so how would you feel if you were prevented from videoing or taking a picture of their achievements ?

And for nothing more than a theoretical risk which is far less likely to kill anyone than their parents driving ?

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Ehhh !

I said that, and you contradicted me !

>>I did think that staying at home was the right thing to do in a time of national crisis.<<

"National crisis" ?
A virus 99% of people survived and had an average age of death in the 80s ?

If you think that was a national crisis, what word would you use to describe the Bubonic plague ?

Or WWII ? 

Or even Spanish Flu ?

>>On the topic of this thread, restricting the use of cameras in a private venue is not a denial of a basic right.<<

You may say that. 

I feel that preventing me filming my lad doing the most wonderful thing he has ever done is so.

PS have you got any kids ?

And are they good at anything ?

If so how would you feel if you were prevented from videoing or taking a picture of their achievements ?

And for nothing more than a theoretical risk which is far less likely to kill anyone than their parents driving ?

It was a crisis and was treated as such. You can't rewrite history. Same as Spanish Flu and both World Wars

Have I got kids? Irrelevant

Prevented from video or photographing  - Disappointed but I'd understand. Next time I'd find a venue that allowed it.

Theoretical risk - Not for me to say and that's up to the venue.

All of which still doesn't detract from the fact that video or photographing is not a basic right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

@Chekhov

Regarding your latest experience at the swimming gala.

Were you expressly forbidden to take a photo or video at this event as it seems that some do allow filming of their own children.

TBH RJ, most pools say no cameras, generally just a sign, but many people ignore it, as I suspect the pools know. They have done their bit, got themselves covered, with their little signs, that's what I think most are bothered about. But the pool my lad swam in was a small one with a small crowd. Contrary to first impressions I would rather not have a stand up row with anyone.

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

It was a crisis and was treated as such. You can't rewrite history. Same as Spanish Flu and both World Wars

Have I got kids? Irrelevant

Prevented from video or photographing  - Disappointed but I'd understand. Next time I'd find a venue that allowed it.

Theoretical risk - Not for me to say and that's up to the venue.

All of which still doesn't detract from the fact that video or photographing is not a basic right. 

>>It was a crisis and was treated as such. You can't rewrite history. Same as Spanish Flu and both World Wars<<

I have answered this point here.

>>Have I got kids? Irrelevant<

It is completely relevant.

If you had kids, esp one who was particularly good at something, I can assure you that you would not be so blase about not being able to film them doing what they excel at.

>>Theoretical risk - Not for me to say and that's up to the venue.<<

The venue have no interest in the risk. Nor could they know what it is as there is no objective evidence as to what camera bans are actually achieving. It's a load of overly risk averse people saying well, potentially there is a risk, so just ban it. Just like the Covid "experts" they are not really that interested in the damage their ban is causing.

As far as the pools are concerned it is no skin off their nose to ban people using cameras, and if it fills some tick boxes for them that's just fine and dandy.