Modern Life Is Rubbish

Life ain’t that bad. Had a few hours on an allotment helping my elderly neighbor this morning and he persuaded me to have a couple of quid each way on a horse in the Northumberland plate at 12/1. I’m thirty quid better off after taking his advice and I might treat myself to something nice to slurp this evening.

17 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Yes we all have access to a wide range of opinions but consensus of views will continue to be as elusive as ever.

False prophets abound 

No rational person sees consensus anytime soon  :)

What we have here is the 100 year old "class struggle" between Left and Right, Communism vs Capitalism.

Moderates, fence sitters, and what some call liberals, "useless idiots" have little power or influence over the outcome.

Almost every societal and political issue,  can be broken down into these two "sides" of the equation.

The battle goes on, with each side taking prisoners from time to time, but the outcome is unpredictable.

Who will win the day depends on how much people trust the government to be capable and competent to run their lives, and promote the general well being.

That question remains to be answered.

Recent Headline

Macron goes to Elton John gig as Paris burns in mass protests

27 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That pretty much typifies the meaningless point scoring that goes on in politics.

It really is an irrelevance.

43 minutes ago, trastrick said:

No rational person sees consensus anytime soon  :)

What we have here is the 100 year old "class struggle" between Left and Right, Communism vs Capitalism.

Moderates, fence sitters, and what some call liberals, "useless idiots" have little power or influence over the outcome.

Almost every societal and political issue,  can be broken down into these two "sides" of the equation.

The battle goes on, with each side taking prisoners from time to time, but the outcome is unpredictable.

Who will win the day depends on how much people trust the government to be capable and competent to run their lives, and promote the general well being.

That question remains to be answered.

Recent Headline

It's comical the way you sum up the modern world in the guise of "a thinker" and then give away your weakness for the media,  by thinking that,  Macron going to a gig is worth mentioning. 

It's time you started living in your own little world too and leave the "news sensationalism"  alone for a bit.   This alone proves the shallowness of your thinking.

That's the modern day equivalence of being an old fish wife and enjoying the gossip.         Do you really think we care that Macron's going to a gig ?     Dear God, do you even care ?

odder and odder

Edited by Organgrinder

20 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

It's comical the way you sum up the modern world in the guise of "a thinker" and then give away your weakness for the media,  by thinking that,  Macron going to a gig is worth mentioning. 

I don't claim to be anything other than what I am.

A poster to a "gossip" blog, who has an opinion, and is not afraid to state it!  :)

As for Macron dancing with celebs while Paris "burns" and Police say they are "at war with vermin".

Some folks find that newsworthy, some don'T

To each his own!

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

I don't claim to be anything other than what I am.

A poster to a "gossip" blog, who has an opinion, and is not afraid to state it!  :)

As for Macron dancing with celebs while Paris "burns" and Police say they are "at war with vermin".

Some folks find that newsworthy, some don'T

To each his own!

World leaders need their R&R like everyone else.

Johnson liked a party and Trump had 150 days golfing during his term in office.

Who would begrudge them a little social life?

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 10:45, Delayed said:

So you’d prefer to die rather than live in a world where you are restricted toward filming children?

I was quite clear what I said, and it was not what you are implying I said : :

Chekhov said:
I never said I would prefer death than living in a changing world, particularly as I have a son growing up. And even when he's grown up I'd like to see my grandkids, assuming him and his wife are lucky enough to be able to have them.

But there is no doubt about it I do not like the way the world is going, and, if I ever find I only have weeks to live, I have already decided my best strategy. I will make a list of all the cobblers I do not like about this modern world and read it regularly thinking at least I won't have to put up with that lot any more!

That is being positive in a big way !

On 01/07/2023 at 14:54, Mister Gee said:

Life ain’t that bad. Had a few hours on an allotment helping my elderly neighbor this morning and he persuaded me to have a couple of quid each way on a horse in the Northumberland plate at 12/1. I’m thirty quid better off after taking his advice and I might treat myself to something nice to slurp this evening.

Well done,  and thanks for the warning:thumbsup:

• Haha 1