Modern Life Is Rubbish

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>Are there any aspects of modern life that you think are much better than what went before?<<

Not much, medical advances would be about it.

I honestly think that, nett of the negative aspects of the internet, it is not such a wonderful thing.

But you're communicating your views via the internet - so it can't be such a bad thing.

I really mean it when I say I wish I was bringing my child up in the 70s, or even the 80s, rather than now. And I'll tell you something else, most parents who are old enough to remember those times (older parents I grant) think the same.

As someone who was brought up in the 1970s and 80s I would agree that there are lots of aspects of that time that were great for young people. None of that was to do with less authoritarianism. It was to do with times being much more innocent, less focused on the bottom line, and a lot less cynical. Though I admit, if I was an adult back then, my view might have been a lot different.

I will note you have not mentioned the increase in restrictions on all of our lives as being a big negative. That can only be because you are happy about it, i.e. you are an authoritarian and people being told what to do and having their lives micro managed, and even told what to think, comes naturally to you.

>>the acceptance of the status quo [is a negative]<<

I absolutely agree with you on that sole point.

If people think they're being asked to do BS stuff (or banned from doing other stuff) for no proportionate reason, they should ignore the little Hitlers.

In your rush to shoehorn in your favourite motif about restrictions, being banned and being micromanaged you omit to mention the fact that in the good old days many people were restricted because of social norms at the time - people feeling trapped by circumstance - such as many women or men feeling that they were weren't able to escape unhappy relationships due to being economically dependent, or for fear of what others would say. The amount of shaming and pointed fingers on people doing their own thing certainly prevented a lot of people being fulfilled.

I don't feel my life is micromanaged now, not because I'm authoritarian, or I 'enjoy it', simply because I don't feel as if I am being micro managed.  I'm able to do what I want in my life, and happy for it. 

You couldn't take a photo of your kid at a swimming event, okay, get over it. You can take a photo of them outside the swimming baths. We went through a time of 18 months 2 years where there was an infectious pandemic, and as a consequence were advised to wear a mask. We don't anymore. 

Can you really build a narrative of society through a couple of odd events? No that's not balanced, proportionate or even meaningful.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But you're communicating your views via the internet - so it can't be such a bad thing.

As someone who was brought up in the 1970s and 80s I would agree that there are lots of aspects of that time that were great for young people. None of that was to do with less authoritarianism. It was to do with times being much more innocent, less focused on the bottom line, and a lot less cynical. Though I admit, if I was an adult back then, my view might have been a lot different.

In your rush to shoehorn in your favourite motif about restrictions, being banned and being micromanaged you omit to mention the fact that in the good old days many people were restricted because of social norms at the time - people feeling trapped by circumstance - such as many women or men feeling that they were weren't able to escape unhappy relationships due to being economically dependent, or for fear of what others would say. The amount of shaming and pointed fingers on people doing their own thing certainly prevented a lot of people being fulfilled.

I don't feel my life is micromanaged now, not because I'm authoritarian, or I 'enjoy it', simply because I don't feel as if I am being micro managed.  I'm able to do what I want in my life, and happy for it. 

You couldn't take a photo of your kid at a swimming event, okay, get over it. You can take a photo of them outside the swimming baths. We went through a time of 18 months 2 years where there was an infectious pandemic, and as a consequence were advised to wear a mask. We don't anymore. 

Can you really build a narrative of society through a couple of odd events? No that's not balanced, proportionate or even meaningful.

Very well put,  Mister M

Edited by Organgrinder

47 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Good to hear some good news from the U.K.

Your Media are screaming everyday about this or that "crisis" homelessness, housing shortages, inflation, Health and education crises, rampant racism and homophobia, toxic masculinity,  societal divisions, and  impending doom from both  climate change, and the new war in Europe.

Who's right?  :)

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Good to hear some good news from the U.K.

Your Media are screaming everyday about this or that "crisis" homelessness, housing shortages, inflation, Health and education crises, rampant racism and homophobia, toxic masculinity,  societal divisions, and  impending doom from both  climate change, and the new war in Europe.

Who's right?  :)

It is possible to have a society beset by huge economic and social problems, yet still be able to point out when someone is barking up the wrong tree.

Kewl post though.

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It is possible to have a society beset by huge economic and social problems, yet still be able to point out when someone is barking up the wrong tree.

Kewl post though.

Maybe somebody over there will figure out that there may be a connection between your "huge economic and social problems" and somebody "barking up the wrong tree".

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I certainly am not lying and you are talking rubbish.

The problem is all of your own making because you are not thinking about what you are writing.

You said :

>>I have been perfectly honest with you and told you that, I'm not the slightest bit interested in your holidays,  masks, cars, your warm house, or [your] pictures of [your] kids.

You are just a moaning minnie who thinks the world should put you first<<

By saying you have no sympathy for the fact I will have my holidays restricted, have been forced to wear masks, will have to pay more for my car, more to warm my house, and not be able to take pics of my child doing significant things in his life, you are also saying you have no sympathy for anyone else suffering these issues. And that is most people

>>You are just a moaning minnie who thinks the world should put you first<<

Err, what I am moaning about is stuff most people are unhappy about (or will be when the stuff hits the fan).

You have quoted me and then changed what I wrote so you most definitely,  ARE A  LIAR.

I don't converse with liars.    so    moan as much as you like   -   I'm off

Edited by Organgrinder

18 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Maybe somebody over there will figure out that there may be a connection between your "huge economic and social problems" and somebody "barking up the wrong tree".

Good luck!

Well insofar as many of the huge problems which are besetting Britain that you've mentioned have happened under a Government who most of the time seek to obfuscate and gaslight you could be right.

So what's your solution to them?

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Well insofar as many of the huge problems which are besetting Britain that you've mentioned have happened under a Government who most of the time seek to obfuscate and gaslight you could be right.

So what's your solution to them?

Well, for a start, I'd stop blaming other people, right or left, and get on with the job I'm paid to do!

That's how it world in the real world, outside of government!  :)

I've gone on at length here about what you should do.

Maybe start by putting a stop to all that money you are borrowing to prop up Third World tin pot dictators, and either seriously try to win that latest endless war in Europe, or find a way to end it.

The waste in lives and treasure is obscene!

4 hours ago, Delayed said:

I agree, vaccines are great

Not for the first time you are getting yourself confused, I was jabbed for Covid, only the first double vaccination though.

Vaccines are great provided :

1 - They are used appropriately, all have side effects, the question is how much at risk of the illness being vaccinated against, is the person being vaccinated ?

2 - They are never mandated, and certainly never for any virus which 99% of people survive (and with an average age of death in the early 80s)......

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

Positives and negatives. I am often unsure about forums anyway, they waste so much time.

You couldn't take a photo of your kid at a swimming event, okay, get over it. You can take a photo of them outside the swimming baths.

>>get over it [as in so what ? It's not that important]<<

Easy for you to say as you do not have a child swimming competing, much less winning.

It's very easy for any person to say ban anything which they themselves are not affected by.

I used to be in favour of banning smoking, but what happened during Covid opened my eyes. This is supposed to be a free country, let them smoke, just so long as they don't get my clothes to stink of it.

>>You can take a photo of them outside the swimming baths<<

Why ? What would be the point of that ?

TBH it'd probably just wind me up every time I saw it, it'd be reminding me how I was stopped from getting a video of my lad swimming. Particularly if he swam well.

We went through a time of 18 months 2 years where there was an infectious pandemic, and as a consequence were advised to wear a mask.

No we weren't, we were forced to do so, incl 4 million secondary school pupils who were at no risk from Covid.....

Edited by Chekhov