Modern Life Is Rubbish

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

In your rush to shoehorn in your favourite motif about restrictions, being banned and being micromanaged you omit to mention the fact that in the good old days many people were restricted because of social norms at the time - people feeling trapped by circumstance - such as many women or men feeling that they were weren't able to escape unhappy relationships due to being economically dependent, or for fear of what others would say. The amount of shaming and pointed fingers on people doing their own thing certainly prevented a lot of people being fulfilled.

TBH I think a bit more social pressure for couples with kids to stay together would be a good thing.

That obviously would not extend to genuinely violent or abusive relationships, but I am confident most relationship breakups are not caused by that.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Not for the first time you are getting yourself confused, I was jabbed for Covid, only the first double vaccination though.

Vaccines are great provided :

1 - They are used appropriately, all have side effects, the question is how much at risk of the illness being vaccinated against, is the person being vaccinated ?

2 - They are never mandated, and certainly never for any virus which 99% of people survive (and with an average age of death in the early 80s)......

Positives and negatives. I am often unsure about forums anyway, they waste so much time.

Agreed. And that's why they are great because points 1 and 2 are met. 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>get over it [as in so what ? It's not that important]<<

Easy for you to say as you do not have a child swimming competing, much less winning.

It's very easy for any person to say ban anything which they themselves are not affected by.

I used to be in favour of banning smoking, but what happened during Covid opened my eyes. This is supposed to be a free country, let them smoke, just so long as they don't get my clothes to stink of it.

>>You can take a photo of them outside the swimming baths<<

Why ? What would be the point of that ?

TBH it'd probably just wind me up every time I saw it, it'd be reminding me how I was stopped from getting a video of my lad swimming. Particularly if he swam well.

No we weren't, we were forced to do so, incl 4 million secondary school pupils who were at no risk from Covid.....

I think the entire premise of your argument is based on your own individual perspective rather than the needs and wants of everyone else

To a greater or lesser extent societies develop and adapt to the needs and wants of its population, and what is happening at the time. 

A theme of your posts seems to be your freedom to do as you wish, but there are millions of others in this country who have different needs and wants to you. Your wants and needs may impact on others freedoms and vice versa.

By and large, given the vast array of competing interests and needs of such a diverse population, I think we all rub along okay.

Like I said, Covid was a very particular time and scenario. You had to wear a mask, as did millions of others. You seem to see that as catastrophic and momentous. I thank my luck stars I didn't have to work 12 hour shifts in a boiling hot hospital, under massively stressful conditions, with full PPE and one of those ultra restrictive masks. It's just a question of keeping perspective.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

TBH I think a bit more social pressure for couples with kids to stay together would be a good thing.

That obviously would not extend to genuinely violent or abusive relationships, but I am confident most relationship breakups are not caused by that.

But social pressure manifests not just to keep couples together, social pressure not to be who you want to be, or to do something for a living that you want to do. To some extent that that still exists, but as a society it's not as rigid or malign as it once was. 

Social pressure to buy a house when the economic conditions don't allow this; to get qualifications or experience when the world of working is so insecure.

I think at the next election Housing, Health and Social Care, and the wider economy should be the 3 main factors that the opposition parties should focus on. If they can develop genuinely progressive policies to meet the challenges in these areas, the sitting Government don't stand a chance with their stupid 'culture war' type crap.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I think the entire premise of your argument is based on your own individual perspective rather than the needs and wants of everyone else

To a greater or lesser extent societies develop and adapt to the needs and wants of its population, and what is happening at the time. 

A theme of your posts seems to be your freedom to do as you wish, but there are millions of others in this country who have different needs and wants to you. Your wants and needs may impact on others freedoms and vice versa.

By and large, given the vast array of competing interests and needs of such a diverse population, I think we all rub along okay.

Like I said, Covid was a very particular time and scenario. You had to wear a mask, as did millions of others. You seem to see that as catastrophic and momentous. I thank my luck stars I didn't have to work 12 hour shifts in a boiling hot hospital, under massively stressful conditions, with full PPE and one of those ultra restrictive masks. It's just a question of keeping perspective.

Like most people I am most bothered about what affects me.

But, that is not to say that stuff that bothers me does not also bother other people. I am certain most of what bothers me bothers a great many other people. This excludes non-opening train windows, I am sure mast people would not normally even think about it, though a rather greater proportion of those who booked t trip on a steam special might....

The theme of my posts can be summed up by my signature.

Basically, a sense of proportion, with the default being not to ban anything unless it there is absolutely concrete proof that the cost is worth it.

And banning people from leaning out of the window on a steam special through Scotland (or parents filming their kids in a swimming gala) does not meet that criteria by a million miles. 

Society / the government should not be micro managing our lives in this unnecessary way.

Edited by Chekhov

36 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Like most people I am most bothered about what affects me.

But, that is not to say that stuff that bothers me does not also bother other people. I am certain most of what bothers me bothers a great many other people. This excludes non-opening train windows, I am sure mast people would not normally even think about it, though a rather greater proportion of those who booked t trip on a steam special might....

The theme of my posts can be summed up by my signature.

Basically, a sense of proportion, with the default being not to ban anything unless it there is absolutely concrete proof that the cost is worth it.

And banning people from leaning out of the window on a steam special through Scotland (or parents filming their kids in a swimming gala) does not meet that criteria by a million miles. 

Society / the government should not be micro managing our lives in this unnecessary way.

wpid-photo-201406250802406.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

wpid-photo-201406250802406.jpg

1 - No line side furniture is ever that close (though, in fact, the infamous death back on the Gatwick Express in August 2016*, was caused by National Rail's failure to keep the gauge clear, but it was cheaper for them to require trains operators to ban opening windows than to do their job right.....).

2 - Anyone with half a brain would carefully look before leaning right out. If they don't Darwin's theory would be proven correct.

3 - If anyone gets their head knocked off it's their own fault. Personal responsibility is the essential adjunct to personal freedom. Just out of interest, should they ban opening windows in cars ?

* 2016 ! Look how far back they had to go for that stat. Meanwhile about 650,000 people a year die, so, since 2016 that'd be over 4 million (that's over 4,000,000) people have died. One death is not worth doing anything about, it would be way less than the number of people dying every year getting out of bed (about 20 people a year die falling out of bed......).

Edited by Chekhov

55 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 - No line side furniture is ever that close (though, in fact, the infamous death back on the Gatwick Express in August 2016*, was caused by National Rail's failure to keep the gauge clear, but it was cheaper for them to require trains operators to ban opening windows than to do their job right.....).

2 - Anyone with half a brain would carefully look before leaning right out. If they don't Darwin's theory would be proven correct.

3 - If anyone gets their head knocked off it's their own fault. Personal responsibility is the essential adjunct to personal freedom. Just out of interest, should they ban opening windows in cars ?

* 2016 ! Look how far back they had to go for that stat. Meanwhile about 650,000 people a year die, so, since 2016 that'd be over 4 million (that's over 4,000,000) people have died. One death is not worth doing anything about, it would be way less than the number of people dying every year getting out of bed (about 20 people a year die falling out of bed......).

Holy smoke , you really are repetitive.