Modern Life Is Rubbish

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Another one for checkov to get his knickers in a twist over.

Greenking aren't allowed to charge 1952 prices for Pints for the jubilee because of licensing

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/greene-king-giving-away-free-pints-to-mark-platinum-jubilee-after-being-told-it-cannot-charge-6p-each-12624290

Trebles all round to them for that bit of marketing.  Ooooh, we didn't know!  The Licencing laws, you say?  We had no idea! Such a surprise!  Now, be a good hack and report the free pint offer (terms and conditions apply. see in pub for details).

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Why should they only cover private rents ? Are they saying Council and Housing Assoc tenants don't require them because they are somehow immune from electrical shock (even if it is an exaggerated danger anyway) ?  If so it's an even bigger load of cobblers than I thought before.

Still, it increases the amount of work for Sparkies, so at least they'll be happy.

>>There isn't a requirement to repeat the test on change of tenant as far as I can see, just to give the new tenant a copy of the certificate.<<

I'm only repeating what his electrician told him. Are you sure ?

We live in housing assocation  and had it done last week 

Guest sibon
37 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Why should they only cover private rents ? Are they saying Council and Housing Assoc tenants don't require them because they are somehow immune from electrical shock 

I think they wrote the law like that specifically to irritate you.

Now that we know that you've over exaggerated this particular "problem", perhaps you could move on to the next thing.

There is a next thing. Right?

41 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Why should they only cover private rents ? Are they saying Council and Housing Assoc tenants don't require them because they are somehow immune from electrical shock (even if it is an exaggerated danger anyway) ? 

No -  Council & H.A. properties are covered by different legislation - they are required to carry out the same check, though.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

>>There isn't a requirement to repeat the test on change of tenant as far as I can see, just to give the new tenant a copy of the certificate.<<

As you are a landlord and have legal obligations to fulfil I suggest that you read up on it for yourself rather than asking a random stranger on a forum.

Show me your papers, Herr Citizen.

I just came back from identification papers heaven. After COVID where I needed to show my documents to some uni student in the restaurant who couldn't read spanish so she wouldn't let me in, list my contacts, and then License to Live renewals which took a whole week of, "We are experiencing a higher than normal volume of calls", and crappy music, and 10 minutes of instruction in two languages (Canada's like that) of how to go to the website i'm calling to complain doesn't work :)

Now I'm back in the "third world", where, after I get my passport stamped, I've never had to show any papers for anything. not even COVID.

And, believe me or not, there's another set of onerous restrictions coming down the pipe, while they try to change the weather, a hundred years from now :) 

Apparently there are enough would be authoritarians in the world that love this stuff, but mention requiring photo ID to vote and they go nuts!

It's a crazy world.

So I said stop the world, I wanna get off, years ago!

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

My single Mom said she asked the school, why I failed the Eleven Plus (twice) when I was top of my class and went on to become Head Boy.

They said I had enough points to go to grammar school, but she wouldn't be able to afford me the things I needed, and seeing as how she had no financial, support it would be better for all, if I got a trade to help her practically. I don't argue with their reasoning, they meant well.

I believe in live and let live Anna.

Remember we agreed a long time ago, that satisfaction comes from trying to leave the world a little better than we found it?

Problem is, everybody has their own belief in how to do that, so here we are at checkmate!  :)

I was fortunate enough to be able to pass along life advice to a few bright students, and people I met along the way, but to be honest most couldn't be "arseked".

I still hear from a few people in my life who did listen. Satisfaction enough.

Now I live a life of harmony with my local community, and my only vice is here, on this forum, engaging with fellow Sheffielders who think my experience is all 'boll***" and "tripe".

It's a hobby that keeps my creative juices flowing!  :)

Thanks for the kind words.

That's so sad, for both you and your Mum. Did it actually make you more determined in an obstinate kind of way?

My Mum had a similar story. She got a place at the local grammar school (before the war) but her mother was a single parent too and couldn't afford the uniform so she couldn't go. 

Thank God for the welfare state eh?

Just now, Anna B said:

That's so sad, for both you and your Mum. Did it actually make you more determined in an obstinate kind of way?

My Mum had a similar story. She got a place at the local grammar school (before the war) but her mother was a single parent too and couldn't afford the uniform so she couldn't go. 

Thank God for the welfare state eh?

No, like me, and the folks I live with among  now, they don't allow their success or failure to be doled out to them from some "powers that be", Their success or failure comes from the ability to work hard, and educate themselves in the real life skills they need to survive, and prosper..

The welfare state is for the folks who really need it, No need to make it "universal" so that Boris and Trump, other millionaires and their families, get education, child care, free medical, child credits and all that!  :)

Putting everybody on welfare is a cost nobody in a democratic society has ever figured out a way to pay for. It's all on borrowed money. The bills will be coming due, one day!

Now it's time for my walk to the beach for an ice cold Presidente Lite.  :)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, sibon said:

I think they wrote the law like that specifically to irritate you.

Now that we know that you've over exaggerated this particular "problem", perhaps you could move on to the next thing.

There is a next thing. Right?

Yes. It will be along shortly 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Why should they only cover private rents ? Are they saying Council and Housing Assoc tenants don't require them because they are somehow immune from electrical shock (even if it is an exaggerated danger anyway) ?  If so it's an even bigger load of cobblers than I thought before.

Still, it increases the amount of work for Sparkies, so at least they'll be happy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

Its all contained in here and when we rented out a property through a letting agent it was less than £80 a year for the certificate.

Some landlords are good but others are shockers so a safety certificate is a must to protect tenants and their families