Modern Life Is Rubbish

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

If you have been working with electricity for 20 years unless you are incredibly lucky I cannot believe you haven't had a mains shock. Every TV engineer I ever worked with regularly got them. It's more likely you didn't even realise you'd had one....

I've worked as a commissioning engineer on electrical control systems on industrial sites for 30 years, on LV switchgear amongst other things, never had a shock.

Not incredibly lucky, just not incompetent.

Edited by Bargepole23

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

That's so sad, for both you and your Mum. Did it actually make you more determined in an obstinate kind of way?

My Mum had a similar story. She got a place at the local grammar school (before the war) but her mother was a single parent too and couldn't afford the uniform so she couldn't go. 

Thank God for the welfare state eh?

It all worked out eventually.

Mom, a hospital canteen lady, got to have Don Hoe, sing his cliche, "Tiny Bubbles" to her, in a Wai Ki Ki restaurant, courtesy of brother Roy (Royston on SF ex pats).

She was overwhelmed and couldn't believe she was actually there.

Edited by trastrick

Another very annoying thing about Modern Life is all the BS language that's used now, and I'm not even talking about the fact more and more words are considered "politically incorrect". I am sure much can (and probably will) be said on that, but below is an extract from an E Mail we have had from one of our customers :

To achieve this goal, we need to embrace the opportunities of harmonization and continue to drive forward the transformation of the value chain. 

What does all that pretentious ballcox even mean ?

Edited by Chekhov

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Another very annoying thing about Modern Life is all the BS language that's used now, and I'm not even talking about the fact more and more words are considered "politically incorrect". I am sure much can (and probably will) be said on that, but below is an extract from an E Mail we have had from one of our customers :

To achieve this goal, we need to embrace the opportunities of harmonization and continue to drive forward the transformation of the value chain. 

Work harder and shut up.

48 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You should drill down and focus like a laser beam in order to optimize and leverage your best practices to a scalable level, in order to synergize and reach a robust and mutually beneficial outcome for your stakeholders. And empower your team to ensure maximum core competency.  Determine your price point impact.

Or as Anna B. says, "work harder" and keep your customers coming back! :)

Edited by trastrick

21 hours ago, hackey lad said:

We live in housing assocation  and had it done last week 

Thus proving my point the cost really is hundreds of hundreds of Millions of pounds a year.

What an Effin waste of money......

21 hours ago, sibon said:

I think they wrote the law like that specifically to irritate you.

Now that we know that you've over exaggerated this particular "problem", perhaps you could move on to the next thing.

Sorry, in what way am I exaggerating [the cost of EIRC reports] ?

If there are, say, 5 million rental homes affected at £30 a year, that's £150 million a year. Could be a little more or a little less, but it's still a humungous amount of money to waste.

Unless you do not consider it a waste of money, in which case :

1 - Why are you saying it is not a waste of money ?

or

2 - Can you not think of hundreds of things that £150 million a year should be spent on ?

I suspect your attitude would be it might save a life so any amount of money is of no consequence (esp if it isn't your money), am I right ?

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

No -  Council & H.A. properties are covered by different legislation - they are required to carry out the same check, though.

i.e. wasting even more money.

The figures I have are about 4.5 million private homes, and 4 million Council / Housing association, so that's 8.5 million in total, at £30 a year = £255 million a year, that's a quarter of a Billion pounds, every year........

Edited by Chekhov

21 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

As you are a landlord and have legal obligations to fulfil I suggest that you read up on it for yourself rather than asking a random stranger on a forum.

My tenants don't move out, they love living in my flats and think the rent is reasonable, so that would not affect me anyway.

20 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's a crazy world.

So I said stop the world, I wanna get off, years ago!

I used to laugh when I heard that phrase, but not any more......

Edited by Chekhov

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

My tenants don't move out, they love living in my flats and think the rent is reasonable, so that would not affect me anyway.

I don't think you can opt out of a legal obligation regarding regular electrical inspections of your flats without potential consequences, if that's what you are suggesting.

Did you read the links provided?

20 hours ago, RJRB said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

Its all contained in here and when we rented out a property through a letting agent it was less than £80 a year for the certificate.

Some landlords are good but others are shockers so a safety certificate is a must to protect tenants and their families

I would have thought the vast majority are good why would any landlord want to let their property deteriorate ? PS The clue is their property....

I spoke to a couple of electricians I know and both quoted around £150.

Now, if hundreds of tenants were getting killed every year in properties with dangerous electrics I could understand spending a quarter of a Billion pounds a year on electrical inspections but that is very far from the case.  In the time I am prepared to spend on this is it is not that straightforward to find out how many people died of electrocution in the home, but it will be  a very low number. You have it add to that fires caused by electrical faults, but what is at issue is the number that would have been prevented by this legislation, a fire or electrocution caused by a faulty or overloaded mains adaptor or extension would not be prevented by any number of electrical checks.

As mentioned before my mate's property needed hundreds of pounds in work doing not because it was dangerous, but because it wasn't up to the latest regs, a fuse board is no longer counted as acceptable, even if they have been for about a hundred years. A classic case of Heath & Safety mission creep.

11 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

I don't think you can opt out of a legal obligation regarding regular electrical inspections of your flats without potential consequences, if that's what you are suggesting.

Did you read the links provided?

That isn't what I am suggesting, what I said was I will not have to pay for an extra EIRC if my tenants move out because, err, they don't move out.

Unfortunately we all have to abide by the law, even if the law is a (disproportionate) ass.

Edited by Chekhov