Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

operations.

It isn’t a personal attack on your freedoms<<

I think it is an attack on my freedoms.

But I hate that term "safeguarding" anyway. It's used to justify all sorts of disproportionate authoritarian cobblers. In my view they shoud scrap all of that stuff and return to the concept of "reasonable care".

I really don’t have the inclination at the moment to argue point by point.

However I do think that reasonable care is expected from both those running operations and those using them .

That includes parents supervising and setting a good example to their children.

A proportion of unaccompanied kids will always test the limits .

To pick up on one of your hobby horses ,that might well include trespassing on railway lines.

I find it perfectly reasonable to absolutely forbid anyone doing this.

Why?

Not just because it could be dangerous but because such a pursuit may involve vandalism,theft,graffiti artists.

So there is a blanket ban to prevent anyone opting to trespass on the track.

Rules apply for good general reasons .

I am sure that I could drive safely through Oughtibridge at 50 mph for much of the day,

But I have to tootle along at 30 mph to observe an arbitrary limit whether its 4 in the afternoon or 3 a.m. in the morning.

I have to stay in my seat with seat belt fastened until the pilot gives the word.

How that helps if the plane nose dives I am not sure.

But rules is rules.

Thats how it is.

12 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"Are you for real ?"(sic). Yes, I am making sure that our readers are aware that you are confusing the recent Jacobite "opening doors" issue that led to the enforced suspension of a Train Operating Company service. Again you refer to the unrelated issue of window opening  on mainline trains two decades ago.

"Unbelievable." This may be to you but this is about the failure of a Train Operating Company to ensure safe practice with agreed door opening procedure on mainline railways.

"What utter cobblers." The only opinions on this issue have been yours.

Try and keep up with modern railway practice and especially those that apply to heritage stock running on the mainline. This will hopefully allow heritage stock to continue running on the mainline without the risk of access being ended by the thoughtless of a few.

All round the houses...... yet you STILL have not explained to me how having non central locking doors on trains was safe for 175 years, but since 2005 is now "dangerous".

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

I am sure that I could drive safely through Oughtibridge at 50 mph for much of the day,

We're on the other side of the respective argument there. The only time when it'd be safe to do 50mph through Oughtibridge would be at 3.00 in the morning.....

But, the reason why I have no time for these ludicrous rules, e.g. about non opening train windows and central door locking on trains is that, in the very rare instance when anything goes wrong, it is the person stepping out of a moving train who is primarily in danger.

It's called personal responsibility which goes with personal freedom.

On the other hand a speeding driver is probably more likely to kill (or seriously injure) someone else. That's the difference.

21 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Over protective parent to ensure glue guns are never to be used in a classroom again, and, whilst she's at it, tries to help ensure the teacher shortage gets even worse. 

I do wonder if her child is embarrassed by his own mother, I would be.

Teacher forced to resign over pupil’s ‘superficial’ glue gun burn
A deputy head teacher with an “unblemished” record was forced to resign after a ten-year-old boy gave himself “two tiny blisters” using a glue gun in an art class.

Staff in an A&E depot who assessed the boy said in their clinical notes the burn was "superficial", consisting of "two tiny blisters".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/teacher-forced-out-over-pupils-glue-gun-blisters-khmlgjb7n

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/teacher-enfield-school-asked-quit-8662913

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/backlash-over-glue-gun-misconduct-hearing/

As an aside, I cannot help speculating that this particular mother would be one of those trying to stop parents taking pics at school events.....

Who'd be a teacher these days? 

There are so many rules and restrictions alongside an increasing amount of work.

Yes, of course they have a duty of care, but accidents happen, especially in a class of 30+ children. (And that's partly how they learn about risk.)

Sounds like the profession is losing teachers at a spectacular rate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

We're on the other side of the respective argument there. The only time when it'd be safe to do 50mph through Oughtibridge would be at 3.00 in the morning.....

But, the reason why I have no time for these ludicrous rules, e.g. about non opening train windows and central door locking on trains is that, in the very rare instance when anything goes wrong, it is the person stepping out of a moving train who is primarily in danger.

It's called personal responsibility which goes with personal freedom.

On the other hand a speeding driver is probably more likely to kill (or seriously injure) someone else. That's the difference.

And that is what most rules and laws  amount to.

We all at favour some of them or rail against others,frequently based on how they affect us personally.

Some greatly,some hardly at all.

What is inescapable is that rules are necessary in society or chaos would ensue and some authorities have the powers to impose rules based on their own considerations.

I put them at those who flaunt rules are usually the ones at most risk,but there is also the question of being a good role model to others including children,and the fact that the general public also should bear responsibility for policing the rules.

Edited by RJRB

5 hours ago, RJRB said:

What is inescapable is that rules are necessary in society or chaos would ensue and some authorities have the powers to impose rules based on their own considerations.

I put them at those who flaunt rules are usually the ones at most risk, but there is also the question of being a good role model to others including children, and the fact that the general public also should bear responsibility for policing the rules.

What is also inescapable, and the theme of this thread, is that the number of "rules" is going up at an alarming rate.

It really will not be long before everything is banned unless specifically allowed. When I come out with that prediction I have had people tell me I am taking alarmist rubbish, but in fact this is already happening !

I bought a device, a Sonr, to enable me to talk to my son as he swam, it's brilliant BTW, it increases the efficacy of a coach by up to 100%.

However, in the pool I was using at the time, the first time I used it  the duty manager rolls up and says "you can't use that in here".

Why not ? I asked.

Well, she went through a whole load of reasons none of which stood up to any scrutiny, before she turns to me and said "well, why would you have thought you could use it in here ?"

Or, in other words, everything is banned unless specifically allowed, just as I have been predicting for years.

And it will get a lot worse, I guarantee it 100%......

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

... she went through a whole load of reasons none of which stood up to any scrutiny ...

What were the reasons?

2 hours ago, Hecate said:

What were the reasons?

"You shouldn't be coaching your child"

If that's banned half the parents, who take their kids to teach them to swim, would also be banned.....

"you aren't allowed on the poolside"

What, so nobody is allowed to get out of the pool ? Or to sit on the side if you're tired ? Or to get out to jump back in (don't tell the kids....) ? And do you have to ask permission to get out to walk along the poolside to the loo ?

"you shouldn't have electronics on the poolside"

The lifeguards also have walkie talkies on the pool side.... Plus the Sonr transmitter is IP54 water and dust protected.

"Your radio might interfere with the lifeguard's walki-talkies"

Now, I admit this would be a good reason to ban the Sonr, but, unsurprisingly, it did not interfere.

Unsurprisingly because :

1 - The pool's walkie-talkie network is safety critical and therefore would be on a dedicated network

2 - The Sonr's manufacturer would be pretty stupid to produce a coach to swimmer walkie-talkie system which interfered with ones used by pool life guards....

Edited by Chekhov

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

All round the houses...... yet you STILL have not explained to me how having non central locking doors on trains was safe for 175 years, but since 2005 is now "dangerous".

It is all very clearly explained in several ORR and RAIB (and their predecessors)reports.

Pointing out the factual errors, the misinformation and the disinformation you provide to justify your 'right' to walk across 120 mph railway tracks, open train windows on 90 mph trains and now open train doors when you decide, is sufficient.