Modern Life Is Rubbish

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That isn't what I am suggesting, what I said was I will no have to pay for an extra EIRC if my tenants move out because, err, they don't move out.

You wouldn't have to anyway, as I said before there is no obligation to repeat testing on change of tenant as far as I can see. There is however an obligation to have a survey carried out every five years.

9 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

You wouldn't have to anyway, as I said before there is no obligation to repeat testing on change of tenant as far as I can see. There is however an obligation to have a survey carried out every five years.

I will check up on this with an electrician I know. I hope you are right and he is wrong.

35 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I would have thought the vast majority are good why would any landlord want to let their property deteriorate ? PS The clue is their property....

I spoke to a couple of electricians I know and both quoted around £150.

Now, if hundreds of tenants were getting killed every year in properties with dangerous electrics I could understand spending a quarter of a Billion pounds a year on electrical inspections but that is very far from the case.  In the time I am prepared to spend on this is it is not that straightforward to find out how many people died of electrocution in the home, but it will be  a very low number. You have it add to that fires caused by electrical faults, but what is at issue is the number that would have been prevented by this legislation, a fire or electrocution caused by a faulty or overloaded mains adaptor or extension would not be prevented by any number of electrical checks.

As mentioned before my mate's property needed hundreds of pounds in work doing not because it was dangerous, but because it wasn't up to the latest regs, a fuse board is no longer counted as acceptable, even if they have been for about a hundred years. A classic case of Heath & Safety mission creep.

That isn't what I am suggesting, what I said was I will not have to pay for an extra EIRC if my tenants move out because, err, they don't move out.

Unfortunately we all have to abide by the law, even if the law is a (disproportionate) ass.

Any domestic property using fuses for electrical safety is in need of an upgrade of its electrical system.

Edited by Bargepole23
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I will check up on this with an electrician I know. I hope you are right and he is wrong.

I'm confused - if as you say your tenants aren't moving out, what do you need to ask an electrician about?

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Any domestic property using fuses for electrical safety is in need of an upgrade of its electrical system.

Why ?

Can you give me an objective reason what is gained by spending hundreds of pounds having a fused mains board ripped out ?

And just saying "because its safer" is not acceptable, we want to know exactly how much safer and if it justifies the hassle and cost of having it done.

2 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

I'm confused - if as you say your tenants aren't moving out, what do you need to ask an electrician about?

Because I want to know if the EICR requirements are just disproportionate, or are in actual fact thoroughly disproportionate.

My electrician has assured me a new EICR is required on change of tenancy, so it's all a bit confusing.

Whatever, with the trend of more and more regulation "to keep us safe" it is only a matter of time before an EICR (or equiv) will be required to sell a house, and then, some time after that, all houses will require one every 5 years.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

My electrician has assured me a new EICR is required on change of tenancy, so it's all a bit confusing.

If I were you I'd ask him to point out which paragraph in the Regulations states this requirement. 

Latest modern life BS....

I was going to take my lad to the Manchester museum, but it's shut for renovation. That's not the BS by the way, nor even the fact it'll almost certainly be dumbed down, but again, that's not the BS I'm referring to either, no, it's this message on their website :

"Manchester Museum is closed to the public until February 2023 as we transform into a more inclusive, imaginative and caring museum"

What is an "inclusive museum" ? 

Even worse, the bleedin' hell is a "caring museum" for Gawds' sake ?

When did these terms start being used about Museums ?

Excuse me whilst I throw up.

Edited by Chekhov

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I was going to take my lad to the Manchester museum, but it's shut for renovation. That's not the BS by the way, nor even the fact it'll almost certainly be dumbed down, but again, that's not the BS I'm referring to either, no, it's this message on their website :

"Manchester Museum is closed to the public until February 2023 as we transform into a more inclusive, imaginative and caring museum"

Probably altering the language on the exhibits etc so as not to offend the sensitive. 

I just hope it stays honest and doesn't water down / change history, and you still get a sense of the past as it was, not as they would like it to be.

Quite a risky and dangerous strategy.  

28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Hmmm... :huh:

It prolly just means they're going to start selling eggs in the gift shop so that visitors can express themselves if they happen to see any statues they don't like the look of... :roll:

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Why ?

Can you give me an objective reason what is gained by spending hundreds of pounds having a fused mains board ripped out ?

And just saying "because its safer" is not acceptable, we want to know exactly how much safer and if it justifies the hassle and cost of having it done.

Because I want to know if the EICR requirements are just disproportionate, or are in actual fact thoroughly disproportionate.

Whatever, with the trend of more and more regulation "to keep us safe" it is only a matter of time before an EICR (or equiv) will be required to sell a house, and then, some time after that, all houses will require one every 5 years.

Fuses provide little or no protection in the event of a person coming into contact with a live part,. The time taken for a fuse to clear a fault and the current required mean that little or no protection is provided in the event of a person coming into contact with a live part.

A modern board with RCD protection will clear a fault very quickly and at a much lower current, typically less than 20mA, and will trip within a few milliseconds which is generally below the level which will kill you.

No idea on the number of accidents prevented by improved circuit protection or if any sort of cost-benefit analysis has been carried out.

One for your conscience I guess.