Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

'Man, I wish online financial transactions were less secure' said no one ever.  Apart from Chekov, naturally.

Are you another one who seems to think anyone would pay their HMRC account fraudulently ?

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Are you another one who seems to think anyone would pay their HMRC account fraudulently ?

Try to remove yourself and your petty grievances from the centre of the universe for a second and imagine what a log in attempt from an unrecognised system might represent.

On 12/08/2023 at 14:07, Hecate said:

>>Chekhov said:
Are you another one who seems to think anyone would pay their HMRC account fraudulently ?<<

Try to remove yourself and your petty grievances from the centre of the universe for a second and imagine what a log in attempt from an unrecognised system might represent.

I note you haven't answered the question....

>>petty grievances<<

My grievance is with the disproportionate attitude of society, and requiring a One Time Passcode to pay HMRC is ludicrous nonsense as only a deranged imbecile would ever do that, and even if they did they would not get away with it.

And it is not "petty", if you cannot see there are more and more disproportionate restrictions on people's lives you have not got your eyes open.

The problem is the pathetic cotton wool society we live in where everyone is oversensitive and over reacts to everything.

On 14/08/2023 at 07:19, Prettytom said:

If there's one thing  Covid (censored) has taught me you have to be sceptical about everything you are told.

Where is that level crossing ?

If it's on the ECML it's unfathomable.

If it's on a straight section of some little used freight line with a 20mph max speed then it's a bit irresponsible but it's not quite the same is it ?

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The problem is the pathetic cotton wool society we live in where everyone is oversensitive and over reacts to everything.

That.

And the fat and getting fatter bureaucracy that is more than happy to regulate and monitor every aspect of your life, because, well, there are foolish people out there, and you can't be too careful!  :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I note you haven't answered the question....

>>petty grievances<<

My grievance is with the disproportionate attitude of society, and requiring a One Time Passcode to pay HMRC is ludicrous nonsense as only a deranged imbecile would ever do that, and even if they did they would not get away with it.

And it is not "petty", if you cannot see there are more and more disproportionate restrictions on people's lives you have not got your eyes open.

If there's one thing  Covid (censored) has taught me you have to be sceptical about everything you are told.

Where is that level crossing ?

If it's on the ECML it's unfathomable.

If it's on a straight section of some little used freight line with a 20mph max speed then it's a bit irresponsible but it's not quite the same is it ?

You do realise its your bank asking for the code and not HMRC, don't you? 

As already said, the bank don't give a toss if you are paying Ryanair two grand or HMRC two grand, it's still a high value transaction and the same checks are required. 

Every time I spend a tenner online I have to go into my app and do a fingerprint. Do I mind? Absolutely not. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You do realise its your bank asking for the code and not HMRC, don't you? 

As already said, the bank don't give a toss if you are paying Ryanair two grand or HMRC two grand, it's still a high value transaction and the same checks are required. 

Every time I spend a tenner online I have to go into my app and do a fingerprint. Do I mind? Absolutely not. 

I have answered this on the excessive online security thread.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/484479-john-lewis-boss-calls-for-abusing-shop-workers-to-be-an-offence/?do=findComment&comment=8712903

"I can't believe you can't go into a bleedin' airport and tell someone you have a bomb in your bag as a joke these days! When I was a lad you could have a bloomin' joke with the staff about such things! What woke nonsense!" 

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/484479-john-lewis-boss-calls-for-abusing-shop-workers-to-be-an-offence/?do=findComment&comment=8712903

"I can't believe you can't go into a bleedin' airport and tell someone you have a bomb in your bag as a joke these days! When I was a lad you could have a bloomin' joke with the staff about such things! What woke nonsense!" 

>>You said:
How about if they
[the passenger whose flight home had been cancelled and with no alternative offered and no offer of any help with accommodation or anything] said "put me on a flight or I will bomb the airport"? Is that acceptable? 

Go into an airport and say the word bomb in a threatening sentence to a member of staff and see how you get on. <<

And I replied :

It wouldn't bother me in the least as it would be obvious to anyone with more than two brain cells they weren't being serious.

>>Go into an airport and say the word bomb in a threatening sentence to a member of staff and see how you get on.<<

I have no doubt they'd over react. 

What is the chances that an irate passenger just happens to have a bomb secreted about his person to use whenever check in staff annoy him ? Err, as close to zero as it is possible to get without actually being zero ?

And even if he has happened to remember his bomb and put it in his inside pocket that morning how would he get it on the plane ?

Lastly, if someone was planning on bombing a plane, why would they tell the airport they were flying from ?

And I still mean it.

• Haha 1