Modern Life Is Rubbish

We had our rentals electrics checked £200 independent survey came back with over 30 minor/mid range faults quotes to fix range £1,500-£2000  there had been no issues previously reported by tenants, we chose to have the survey done.

our own electrian did the job for £750 which included new LED light some usb sockets, new consumer unit change of outdoor security wiring from grey to black cable.

Being a landlord has responsibilities, its a business anyone not factoring in these expenses is a fool or a tool, if they try and skimp on them!

whining on a forum and risking tenants! 

shows the mindset and morals of a turd, a complete ZERO empathy for others.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

It prolly just means they're going to start selling eggs in the gift shop so that visitors can express themselves if they happen to see any statues they don't like the look of... :roll:

I saw what you did there

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Latest modern life BS....

I was going to take my lad to the Manchester museum, but it's shut for renovation. That's not the BS by the way, nor even the fact it'll almost certainly be dumbed down, but again, that's not the BS I'm referring to either, no, it's this message on their website :

"Manchester Museum is closed to the public until February 2023 as we transform into a more inclusive, imaginative and caring museum"

What is an "inclusive museum" ? 

Even worse, the bleedin' hell is a "caring museum" for Gawds' sake ?

When did these terms start being used about Museums ?

Excuse me whilst I throw up.

It means get rid of that Roman Empire/Columbus/Cap'n Cook statue stuff to avoid making some feel people "uncomfortable".

You can't be too careful!  :)

Edited by trastrick
  • Haha 1

We've got our 9 year old's school sports day coming up, wonder whether we'll be banned from taking any pics of him there ?

TBH it puts me off wanting to go at all because I'll feel so angry if he's there doing something I want to record but banned from doing so.

Why do so many people just accept all this ?

The  more people just accept it the more they'll restrict our lives.

Modern life really is rubbish. 

21 hours ago, trastrick said:

It means get rid of that Roman Empire/Columbus/Cap'n Cook statue stuff to avoid making some feel people "uncomfortable".

You can't be too careful!  :)

Some people genuinely think so, it's pathetic.

And yet these same people go out driving, speeding even, when there is, statistically, a significant chance they could kill someone. So they either have a very poor grasp of risk probability, or they are hypocrites.

Edited by Chekhov

On 01/06/2022 at 16:41, Chekhov said:

Latest modern life BS....

I was going to take my lad to the Manchester museum, but it's shut for renovation. That's not the BS by the way, nor even the fact it'll almost certainly be dumbed down, but again, that's not the BS I'm referring to either, no, it's this message on their website :

"Manchester Museum is closed to the public until February 2023 as we transform into a more inclusive, imaginative and caring museum"

What is an "inclusive museum" ? 

Even worse, the bleedin' hell is a "caring museum" for Gawds' sake ?

When did these terms start being used about Museums ?

Excuse me whilst I throw up.

I think the nine-year old would be very disappointed  after a visit to the University Museum- it is "pots and pans" mainly with a lot collection from the days of Empire. I know that they are working on the role Manchester workers in defeating the slave owners of the Confederacy. The waves of immigrants from rural Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Wales, Scotland, Ireland. Europe, Africa, India etc. will get a mention for the first time. Museums are about learning and most of their collections are hidden away. Delivery of knowledge and interpretations were often decided by financial donors- things change.

The Natural History section was largely draws and glass cases used by University departments. The Alfred Denny Museum at Sheffield University is similarly full of pinned, stuffed and bottled.

The Science and Industry Museum on Liverpool Road near Deansgate tram and train station (Wed Sun 10.00–17.00) is far more exiting place.

38 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I think the nine-year old would be very disappointed  after a visit to the University Museum- it is "pots and pans" mainly with a lot collection from the days of Empire. I know that they are working on the role Manchester workers in defeating the slave owners of the Confederacy. The waves of immigrants from rural Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Wales, Scotland, Ireland. Europe, Africa, India etc. will get a mention for the first time. Museums are about learning and most of their collections are hidden away. Delivery of knowledge and interpretations were often decided by financial donors- things change.

The Natural History section was largely draws and glass cases used by University departments. The Alfred Denny Museum at Sheffield University is similarly full of pinned, stuffed and bottled.

The Science and Industry Museum on Liverpool Road near Deansgate tram and train station (Wed Sun 10.00–17.00) is far more exiting place.

Funnily enough we went there but most of it was shut for refurbishment. Even worse, one of my favourite sections of that museum was the aerospace building, but that was closed for good years ago.

We also went to the reopened Silk Mill museum in Derby, now, rather pretentiously called "Museum of Making". That's also not as good as it used to be, basically, as with many of these updated museums, it there is less to see, it's all simplified into "themes" with less to read etc. I used to think the display of all the Rolls Royce aero engines at the Silk Mill was the best bit, but they have all now been moved out. Incredibly, they don't even have a Rolls Royce Merlin there any more, the best they've got is a model of one !

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Funnily enough we went there but most of it was shut for refurbishment. Even worse, one of my favourite sections of that museum was the aerospace building, but that was closed for good years ago.

We also went to the reopened Silk Mill museum in Derby, now, rather pretentiously called "Museum of Making". That's also not as good as it used to be, basically, as with many of these updated museums, it there is less to see, it's all simplified into "themes" with less to read etc. I used to think the display of all the Rolls Royce aero engines at the Silk Mill was the best bit, but they have all now been moved out. Incredibly, they don't even have a Rolls Royce Merlin there any more, the best they've got is a model of one !

If you like Merlins you should have been where I was yesterday. East Kirkby airfield over in Lincolnshire. Just Jane was doing a taxi run at the same time as the RAF sent their Lanc for a fly past, eight Merlins running at the same time. Great day out 👍 Btw, I agree about the standard of museums. Weston Park for one was better before the refurbishment.

11 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

If you like Merlins you should have been where I was yesterday. East Kirkby airfield over in Lincolnshire. Just Jane was doing a taxi run at the same time as the RAF sent their Lanc for a fly past, eight Merlins running at the same time. Great day out 👍 Btw, I agree about the standard of museums. Weston Park for one was better before the refurbishment.

With the bees, sumo wrestler, and moth eaten bear