Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

You, in part, pay for their treatment in the long run.

The Train company does have a duty of care... also, if someone does lose their head, the train stops (for probably quite a long time) and everyone is inconvenienced.

Yes, so it's about education not trying to skint everyone. I did it myself where I lost a few stone to feel better, healthier and to give me a better chance of prolonging my life. The issue is when we pander to the 'Fatphobic' crew who would rather be fat and lazy and expect others to sort it out for them. Don't want airlines to charge you more for an extra seat? Lose some fat. It needs doctors to be honest with patients and not just pander to them for fear of hurting their feelings.

And the train company has a duty of care... but you can't legislate for stupid 100% of the time.

3 hours ago, Delayed said:

>>Chekhov said:

The world is heading in the direction where everything is aimed at ensuring that the most sensitive, over cautious, paranoid, dim person will not get upset about anything or put themselves in danger in any way.

And it's the other ninety odd percent of people who suffer for that.<<

It's none of that. 

All your grievances about smoking, weight gain, photography, swimming bath closures, sticking head out of trains, all boil down to one thing .

You don't like being told 'No'!

So you make it a wider issue to deflect, making outrageous claims that the majority of normal people agree with you. 

It's EXACTLY that.

But you have no problem with it because you are an authoritarian, and, I may add, a false empathiser. You think you have so much empathy for people but you only have empathy for people who think like you do.

>>You don't like being told 'No'!<<

Who would like being told No! when they really want to do  something and there s no good reason why they should not ?

You might not mind because you are an rule following authoritarian who probably likes being told what to do so you don't have to think for yourself.

You must remember most of these disproportionate petty edicts did not exist 20 or so years ago, but they are being introduced because :

The world is heading in the direction where everything is aimed at ensuring that the most sensitive, over cautious, paranoid, dim person will not get upset about anything or put themselves in danger in any way.

10 minutes ago, Magilla said:

You, in part, pay for their treatment in the long run.

Society's attitude to obesity is the ultimate in hypocrisy, as I mentioned on the smoking thread :

On the subject of "public health" interventions it has already been mentioned that obesity causes more bad health outcomes than smoking, and, puts far more pressure on the NHS - mainly type 2 diabetes - than smoking and even than Covid ever did (or could have done).

But far from society putting pressure on the overweight to slim down, this is what is happening :

I regret my jokes says Richard Curtis [Writer of Four weddings and  a Funeral, and Love Actually]

He said of his fat jokes : "I remember how shocked I was five years ago when Scarlett [his daughter] said to me 'you can never use the word 'fat' again'. Wow, you were right. In my generation calling someone chubby [was funny] - in Love Actually there were jokes about that. Those jokes are no longer funny.

(The Times 16 Oct 23)

I have said before that sooner or later "fatness" will be a "protected characteristic", and I am only half joking.

This is a mad mad mad mad world where the risk of upsetting anyone is the paramount aim of society.

We really do live in an inconsistent, not to say hypocritical (and pathetic), world.

17 minutes ago, Magilla said:

The Train company does have a duty of care... also, if someone does lose their head, the train stops (for probably quite a long time) and everyone is inconvenienced.

That is as straw man argument :

1 - Hardly anyone gets killed putting their head out of a train window. In fact the 2019 ORR webpage "explaining" the necessity for banning opening train windows (after over 150 years...) mentioned a case 3 year before, that's THREE YEARS.

2 - I HATE that term "duty of care". They should ban it, as it is just an excuse to treat everyone like kids. Life has risk, get used to it. They should scrap "duty of care" and go back to "reasonable care", which assumes people have at least half a brain..... They use that, for example, to stop all the passengers on the Jacobite steam specials looking forward at the steam engine, because one person with less sense than he was born with got killed 7 years ago. It's UTTER cobblers.

Edited by Chekhov

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You might not mind because you are an rule following authoritarian who probably likes being told what to do so you don't have to think for yourself.d.

Youve been told about this before.

I strongly suggest you stop making baseless assumptions about people. 

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

"You've been told!" Checky.

So stop making "baseless assumptions" about authoritarians, their bureaucrat enforcers,  and their servile followers, who are quite happy sucking on the government teat.

:)

Edited by trastrick
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Delayed said:

Not sure what you are referring to but I'm referring to the Discrimination Laws 

The world needs more discriminating people (in the classical sense of the word). 

You'd have better governments, less stupid wars, less economic chaos, and less endless "crises".

Better diets, and not so many fat people telling you how to live!  :)

I was brought up in a time when discriminating in ones choices, was an admirable virtue.

Now, it's Verboten!

Only lockstep groupthink in today's new rules based world order allowed,

YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD!!!!

Edited by trastrick

57 minutes ago, trastrick said:

"You've been told!" Checky.

So stop making "baseless assumptions" about authoritarians, their bureaucrat enforcers,  and their servile followers, who are quite happy sucking on the government teat.

:)

Grow up child 

18 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That is as straw man argument :

1 -2019 ORR webpage "explaining" the necessity for banning opening train windows (after over 150 years...) mentioned a case 3 year before, that's THREE YEARS.

2 - I HATE that term "duty of care". They should ban it, as it is just an excuse to treat everyone like kids. Life has risk, get used to it. They should scrap "duty of care" and go back to "reasonable care", which assumes people have at least half a brain..... They use that, for example, to stop all the passengers on the Jacobite steam specials looking forward at the steam engine, because one person with less sense than he was born with got killed 7 years ago. It's UTTER cobblers.

Hardly anyone gets killed putting their head out of a train window because the NOBODY CAN put their head all the way out of a train window unless they are on heritage stock on heritage railways. In fact as there is no rolling operating in the public timetable where you can put your head  out of a train window.

For well over a hundred years coach designers have worked on removing 'drop down' window where practical. Children and train spotters putting their head out of a train window was not a major issue, dirt, noise, temperature control,  speed and fuel consumption, ingress from vegetation  cinders etc. movement around the train were.

You have falsely claimed several times that a ban mai  been imposed on window opening heritage stock on heritage railways.

If want to indulge your passion, there are dozens of heritage railways and on (especially the Jacobite)the mainline, plenty of sharp curves to see you loco.

The Jacobite is operated (as is every other mainline timetabled service in GB is) by a TOC-the one with the worst safety and training record pro rata -having several times been stopped from operating services. 

20 hours ago, Delayed said:

>>Chekhov said: You might not mind because you are an rule following authoritarian who probably likes being told what to do so you don't have to think for yourself.<<

And I have frequently asked you to prove me wrong by providing a list of regulations bans or restrictions which you think are unnecessary or disproportionate.  And you have never done so. This strongly implies I am correct in my accusation that you are an authoritarian rule follower.

What I do not understand is why argue about it  ? Are you not proud of what you see as your commitment to "keeping people safe", albeit it any cost.....

46 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Hardly anyone gets killed putting their head out of a train window because the NOBODY CAN put their head all the way out of a train window

That has only been the case relatively recently, as you full well know.

Let me remind you ;

Timeline 

1830 - First inter city rail service [without central locking of doors and with opening windows] 

1951 - Mk1 coaches (as used on the Jacobite service) introduced [without central locking of doors and with opening windows]

2005 - Central door locking mandated [175 years since the 1st inter city service, 54 years since the introduction of the  Mk1 coach]

2019 - Opening windows banned on mainline trains [189 years since the 1st inter city service]

Personally, prior to 2019, I do not remember seeing piles of decapitated heads by the side of the tracks, nor do I remember reading about any. And, in fact, as I said earlier, even the ORR had to quote a case which was THREE YEARS previously.

You might be happy about it but I am sick to death of being treated like a child by a bunch of little Hitlers just because a minute proportion of the population have not got the brains they were born with.

Edited by Chekhov