Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Are they not there now ?

Tons of stuff disappeared after the refurb, we were told at the time that it would be going to the Millennium gallery but it didn’t.  Guess it must be in storage somewhere.

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

No Mel I was thinking more of the vast collection of cutlery,knives,swords,tools, etc. You know, our industrial heritage and all that.

If there's one gallery I found uninteresting as a child and still find deathly dull as an adult it's the cutlery and knives gallery. Give me geology, ancient history and social history any day.

I went in Weston Park the other day, the new Thomas Bateman exhibition is worth a visit.

Also went in the Millennium Gallery, the Not Without My Ghosts: The Artist As Medium exhibition is just awful, but the pictures next door of Humberstone Fitties and other housing is good.

IMO.

Spent a lot of time at the Western Park Museum as a kid.

The collection of pinned insects, moths and butterflies in the drawers, gave me my first look at evolution and introduced me to Darwin, around age 10/11. Can't remember much else, except lying to a posh couple there with their beautiful little girl, who took an interest in my interest.

When they asked me where I was from, I didn't want to say t' arbourthorne so I blurted out "Plymouth" which sounded a bit posher.

Bet they didn't arf laugh about it later!

Glad to hear it's still there.

3 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Tons of stuff disappeared after the refurb, we were told at the time that it would be going to the Millennium gallery but it didn’t.  Guess it must be in storage somewhere.

It is. The cost of redisplaying it all at millennium would more than the museum can afford, and for which there isnt sufficient space. There is a lot of  display at millennium gallery, certainly enough to represent sheffields industrial light trades heritage.

I was talking to my brother earlier today, he is a governor of a school in Manchester.

He was saying they do not stop parents taking pics etc, they only ask they do not put any pics on the internet, e.g. Facebook.

Surely that is a far better compromise ?

Surely even Sibon could not object to that ?

And if he does, why exactly ?

6 hours ago, Jim117 said:

If you like Merlins you should have been where I was yesterday. East Kirkby airfield over in Lincolnshire. Just Jane was doing a taxi run at the same time as the RAF sent their Lanc for a fly past, eight Merlins running at the same time. Great day out 👍 Btw, I agree about the standard of museums. Weston Park for one was better before the refurbishment.

Sounds fantastic, literally.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I was talking to my brother earlier today, he is a governor of a school in Manchester.

He was saying they do not stop parents taking pics etc, they only ask they do not put any pics on the internet, e.g. Facebook.

That pretty much concurs with various comments above that the central issue is the uploading of material on social media.

So become a school governor or raise this and any other issues with the current ones.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That pretty much concurs with various comments above that the central issue is the uploading of material on social media.

So become a school governor or raise this and any other issues with the current ones.

12 minutes ago, RJRB said:

But does Sibon think it's reasonable ? I'm betting on a no, but he may surprise us.

Guest sibon
42 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

But does Sibon think it's reasonable ? I'm betting on a no, but he may surprise us.

It would be perfectly reasonable if people weren’t idiots.

Sadly, we live in a world where people cannot see the potential problems that their actions could cause. Others have a very warped sense  of danger. 

For example, some people think that driving at 75 on a clear motorway is more dangerous than sticking your fingers in a plug socket.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

It would be perfectly reasonable if people weren’t idiots.

Sadly, we live in a world where people cannot see the potential problems that their actions could cause. Others have a very warped sense  of danger. 

For example, some people think that driving at 75 on a clear motorway is more dangerous than sticking your fingers in a plug socket.

Good reply . Would people trust some people not to put photos of kids onto facebook and the like . Sad thing is some people live their lives on social media