Modern Life Is Rubbish

8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am simply stating a fact, modern rolling stock has a worse view out than older rollingstock, and the pictures prove it beyond doubt.

What can you see out of the larger windows that you can't with the smaller ones, apart from a bit more sky or a bit further up a tall building next to the track?

In fact it is not just the size of the windows and the lack of care in to seat /window alignment,

That's just down to them trying to squeeze more seats onto the train.

On 04/01/2024 at 14:37, Chekhov said:

Is that a joke ?

The tartan train interior on the left is the original tilting train from the 1970s, the APT. It has a window area per coach of about 19 sq m.

The other train is a Pendolino with a window area of about 10 sq m.

One is bigger than the other by around 90% (that's ninety, as in nine zero, percent) : 

Left is on a Pendolino, right is a class 222 (used from Sheff to London) :

But the best view, particularly when being hauled by a steam train, is by leaning out of the drop light, just watch out for possible soot in your eye....

When you learn to quote properly you will avoid misleading your readers.  

What I said was clearly in relation to the West Highland line and it's stock that when I said "Premium fares are charged above the normal  fares on the route(views  are much better from modern stock!)."

You decided to omit the bit about this "Premium fares are charged above the normal  fares on the route..."  gave you the opportunity to falsely claim my opinion related to stock that has never ran on that line.  Then wibble on about views from all modern public transport that.

21 hours ago, altus said:

That's just down to them trying to squeeze more seats onto the train.

Gordon Bennet, I agree with Altus.

They bang on about how modern rolling stock is more comfortable then ever, it certainly is not to those of us with long legs and/or a desire to look out of the window.....

On 05/01/2024 at 23:07, Annie Bynnol said:

When you learn to quote properly you will avoid misleading your readers.  

What I said was clearly in relation to the West Highland line and it's stock that when I said "Premium fares are charged above the normal  fares on the route(views  are much better from modern stock!)."

You decided to omit the bit about this "Premium fares are charged above the normal  fares on the route..."  gave you the opportunity to falsely claim my opinion related to stock that has never ran on that line.  Then wibble on about views from all modern public transport that.

OK, so, if I have this right, you are saying that views from the Highland line are better from modern stock, it's to be hoped they don't put these units on then :

img_8730.jpeg

>>Then wibble on about views from all modern public transport that.<<

Sorry which way are you arguing here ?

Are you saying views from modern public transport are good or not ?

8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

OK, so, if I have this right, you are saying that views from the Highland line are better from modern stock, it's to be hoped they don't put these units on then :

These units have already been on the West Highland Line.

The logo on the single carriage might give you a clue as to the main function of this vehicle. 
    Try again.

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The logo on the single carriage might give you a clue as to the main function of this vehicle.

Not to mention the depiction of the Glenfinnan viaduct on the side of the carriage.

On 05/01/2024 at 09:14, Chekhov said:

You are stooping rather here.

The failure of the APT was nothing whatsoever to do with it's large (by modern standards) windows.

>>When were the APT, 390 or 222 allowed on the West Highland Line?<<

Who said they were (though why would 222s be banned from it anyway) ?

I am simply stating a fact, modern rolling stock has a worse view out than older rollingstock, and the pictures prove it beyond doubt.

In fact it is not just the size of the windows and the lack of care in to seat /window alignment, it is that incredibly annoying habit that some train company's have of putting ruddy great transfers all over the windows (and bus companies are even worse) :

img_8730.jpeg

image011_1687784293.jpg

Aren't you mixing up Adam Ant and the Bay City Rollers ? ! ?

No Chekhov I’m old enough to know the difference.

I was referring to the fact you mentioned that you had to be careful when leaning out of a steam train window not to get Cinders in your eyes!

I’ve been to too many pantomimes recently.

echo.

On 05/01/2024 at 09:22, Chekhov said:

Actually Boeing deliberately designed the 787 ("Dreamliner") with larger windows and it's one of its selling points.

So, it seems, Boeing are going in the opposite (and very welcome) direction to the bus and train companies.

Certainly the Boeing 737 Max 9 is the aircraft to get the best view out of particularly when the door plug, which hasn’t been secured properly, flies off in mid air. It gives you a floor to ceiling view of the world below which can’t be beaten and also provides plenty of fresh air; non of this recycled stuff.😀

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Haha 1