Modern Life Is Rubbish

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You mean that same boiler than can go wrong and hence the need for a carbon monoxide alarm?

Ah you are finally getting it.

its unlikely to sink in, thankfully the laws inplace are getting tighter to deal with the likes of justin and his ilks thinking 

Just now, Chekhov said:

I am not moaning about houses being fitted with smoke detectors, I am moaning about the fact it is a legal requirement for landlords to fit them and, probably, maintain them. One wonders if that includes having to check the effin' batteries because, apparently, tenants are regarded as being so stupid.....

Quite apart from anything, for a portable (and cheap) item like a smoke alarm, if they want to be consistent, why is it not a legal requirement for all houses to have them ? Why just rented properties ?

It isn't the cost, it's the hassle. My friends Mum's house is  60 miles away and managed by an agent, they want to charge £75 to get someone to go and fit one, or "only" £36 if done at the same time as a boiler service. What the hell is a boiler service anyway ?

>>just be a decent landlord<<

You have missed the point entirely. Owner occupiers are expected to sort out their own smoke alarms, why cannot tenants do so ? 

Classic class distinction, and streotyping.

Apperently, tenants are incapable of taking care of property and making it safe, or their garden if they happen to have one. They need lots of help against those "evil rich landlords" that provide a livable home (also known as exploiting the pooor!)  :)

Dependency breeds big govermnent, and human nature being what it is, most appear to be happy with it.

And how many landlords are happy to take the weekly sub rent from the local council, instead of having to chase the tenant on payday?

Edited by trastrick

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I am not moaning about houses being fitted with smoke detectors, I am moaning about the fact it is a legal requirement for landlords to fit them and, probably, maintain them. One wonders if that includes having to check the effin' batteries because, apparently, tenants are regarded as being so stupid.....

Quite apart from anything, for a portable (and cheap) item like a smoke alarm, if they want to be consistent, why is it not a legal requirement for all houses to have them ? Why just rented properties ?

It isn't the cost, it's the hassle, yet another complication in life. That is the whole point of this thread, life is getting too soddin' complicated and restricted, and more and more so every year. 

hat said it can be a cost issue, my friends Mum's house is  60 miles away and managed by an agent, they want to charge £75 to get someone to go and fit one, or "only" £36 if done at the same time as a boiler service. What the hell is a boiler service anyway ?

You have missed the point entirely. Owner occupiers are expected to sort out their own smoke alarms, why cannot tenants do so ? 

My bold. Is that a serious question? Do you really not know what a boiler service is? Or why they're necessary? And you're a landlord...?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It isn't the cost, it's the hassle, yet another complication in life. That is the whole point of this thread, life is getting too soddin' complicated and restricted, and more and more so every year. 

hat said it can be a cost issue, my friends Mum's house is  60 miles away and managed by an agent, they want to charge £75 to get someone to go and fit one, or "only" £36 if done at the same time as a boiler service. What the hell is a boiler service anyway ?

boiler service is whats meant to happen every year, its a requirement...

we do it and have various plans, landlord insurance without exception fire alarms and detectors are landlords responsibility, so for a few quid why invalidate the insurance  and a gas safety check every year. it's not difficult to be above board with the regulations such as the deposit scheme over 10 years never had a problem tenant always carried out repairs and maintenance its not difficult, if you need a letting agent then it comes at a cost like anything thing need to be paid for no matter how short your arms might be,  it'll be an expensive lesson if any property has fire damage through a landlords neglect.

5 minutes ago, Carl said:

My bold. Is that a serious question? Do you really not know what a boiler service is? Or why they're necessary? And you're a landlord...?

Please don't take anything he posts seriously, he's clearly just out to wind people up. 

13 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Classic class distinction, and streotyping.

Apperently, tenants are incapable of taking care of property and making it safe, or their garden if they happen to have one. They need lots of help against those "evil rich landlords" that provide a livable home (also known as exploiting the pooor!)  :)

Tenants pay rent, as part of that rent, it covers wear and tear, repairs and maintenance.

We have just been talking at work about all this over regulated cotton wool society. One of my colleagues pointed out that the very idea of a bus where you could get on and off whenever you wanted (according to whether you thought it safe enough) sounded extremely convenient but something that these days people would throw their arms up in absolute horror over and totally fail to believe they ever existed.

But they did :

routemaster-15-rear-1.jpg#

And we even had them in Sheffield.

The case for banning the open backed bus, how would it stack up ? :

Exactly how much safer will this make us ? 

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ?

(PS the answer to the second part is obvious, especially if the bus is stuck in a traffic jam......)

Edited by Chekhov

Just now, steve68 said:

Tenants pay rent, as part of that rent, it covers wear and tear, repairs and maintenance.

If you can find them after they do a midnight flit. And take anything that is movable with them.

Lol

Edited by trastrick

15 minutes ago, steve68 said:

Does that include a battery in a smoke alarm......

25 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Please don't take anything he posts seriously, he's clearly just out to wind people up. 

No absolutely not. I have never had any of my gas boilers serviced.

Why would I ?

Tell me, since you appear to be an expert in this, exactly what do you get for a "boiler service" ? 

Why is one necessary ?  And saying "for safety" is not an acceptable answer, I want to know exactly why a boiler service is required. And the approximate risk of it not being done, e.g. 1 in xx million of xxxxxx occurring.

Edited by Chekhov