Modern Life Is Rubbish

2 hours ago, sibon said:

As a piece of friendly advice, don’t pop to your local school and start photographing PE lessons through the security fences.

Just out of interest, what law would you be breaking ?

2 hours ago, sibon said:

As a piece of friendly advice, don’t pop to your local school and start photographing PE lessons through the security fences.

Hmmmm. Reminds me of the antics of a former member of this very forum. 

Guest sibon
28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just out of interest, what law would you be breaking ?

You might not be breaking any.

You might be breaching the peace. 

You could easily be causing a nuisance on school premises.

But mostly, any investigation into your motives could be quite damaging for you personally.

I wouldn’t be doing it.

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have not shifted my argument at all, where do you get that from ?

Why is it fine for parents to watch their kids get swimming lessons they are paying for, directly, but not those they are paying for indirectly ?

If my lad was having a sports lesson on the school sports field technically I could go and watch it (through the security fence, another thing I disapprove of, they're schools not effin' prisons), so what's the difference ?

But this is to miss the point anyway, what this is about is the kind of society we live in where more and more is banned "to keep us safe", even though the rational arguments for most of these edicts is almost totally absent. Disproportionate is the name of the game.

I get it from reading your swimming posts that started with your belief that you should attend a school lesson and then segued into a criticism of the teaching methods.

Your second paragraph is plainly ridiculous based on your contorted logic.

Your third paragraph makes me laugh.Schools are obviously secure areas to keep the kids in and intruders out.Do you need this spelling out?

Do you ever consider that your reactions are Disproportionate?

28 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I get it from reading your swimming posts that started with your belief that you should attend a school lesson and then segued into a criticism of the teaching methods.

I totally understand this. It's natural for a parent to want to be active in their kids life including sporting activities. 

Slightly different as my daughter's were extra curricular  sporting activities but until very recently I was at every single training session she had. Every event, every run, every fight. Absolutely Everything. I did this for around 7 years without missing a single one. I took pictures and videos, sorted and stored these pics and videos (I've accumulated several terabytes ) even making some into music videos and slide shows for her and yes, on that saved media are many other people with a large proportion being other people's kids along with adults, trainers etc...

I really don't see the problem. 

35 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I totally understand this. It's natural for a parent to want to be active in their kids life including sporting activities. 

Slightly different as my daughter's were extra curricular  sporting activities but until very recently I was at every single training session she had. Every event, every run, every fight. Absolutely Everything. I did this for around 7 years without missing a single one. I took pictures and videos, sorted and stored these pics and videos (I've accumulated several terabytes ) even making some into music videos and slide shows for her and yes, on that saved media are many other people with a large proportion being other people's kids along with adults, trainers etc...

I really don't see the problem. 

Well apparently you don’t understand it at all.

I am all for family involvement in their kids sporting activities and school work for that matter.

I am totally against the idea that a parent should be entitled to sit in on a school lesson.

Extracurricular activities are a different issue entirely

The photography is a side issue as far as I am concerned and better discussed with the headmaster or school governors as to their reasoning.

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Well apparently you don’t understand it at all.

I am all for family involvement in their kids sporting activities and school work for that matter.

I am totally against the idea that a parent should be entitled to sit in on a school lesson.

Extracurricular activities are a different issue entirely

The photography is a side issue as far as I am concerned and better discussed with the headmaster or school governors as to their reasoning.

I know extra curricula activities are different as I said as much.

The point is I understand completely Chekhov's desire to watch his lad do his sport. 👍

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I know extra curricula activities are different as I said as much.

The point is I understand completely Chekhov's desire to watch his lad do his sport. 👍

And he is free to do so........but not in a school lesson.

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

And he is free to do so........but not in a school lesson.

If my kids were still at school and a parent asked permission to sit in on certain classes I wouldnt object but I accept some might.

Yeah I'd draw the like at photographing it but not because I'd assume the other parent was a nonce but because my daughter used to have a shockingly low opinion of herself and Hated her picture being taken. 

5 hours ago, sibon said:

You might not be breaking any.

You could easily be causing a nuisance on school premises.

But mostly, any investigation into your motives could be quite damaging for you personally.

I wouldn’t be doing it.

How so ?

But what your post (and I accept many people would agree with you)  reveals is just how paranoid society has become, and why modern life really is rubbish. A quote from a Guardian article is relevant :

The spread of photo bans is not really a response to child abusers stalking school sports days. Instead, it reflects the contamination of everyday adult-child relations – and the new assumption, as the children's author Philip Pullman put it, that "the default position of one human being to another is predatory rather than kindness". Any adult looking through the viewfinder at a child is viewed as potentially sinister and in need of regulation.