Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Why did we not need them in the 1980s then ?

If we went the other way and had no entry security, you’d be up there leading the outrage when a student was injured/abducted/killed.

I really wouldn't, depending on how many obviously. You see, it's a matter of proportion......

And schools are like prisons, certainly compared with the 1970s/1980s.

Rest assure that if such an incident occurred within an area that all headmasters would be looking at their own arrangements.

Yes even for a single incident,but you might be able to put a number on what is acceptable.

Guest sibon
4 hours ago, RJRB said:

Rest assure that if such an incident occurred within an area that all headmasters would be looking at their own arrangements.

Yes even for a single incident,but you might be able to put a number on what is acceptable.

I think that Checkers has led a very sheltered life.

In his world, it seems as though it is forever 1950 with girls waving red knickers at passing steam trains and prime numbers of children solving mysteries with the assistance of a slightly naughty dog.

Life really isn't like that. Many of todays kids face threats in the home, at school and in the street. 

It is a sad state of affairs, but the genie isn’t going back into the bottle anytime soon, so we will all have to accept professionals making decisions to mitigate risk.

Or, I guess, we could just bleat and whine on a minor Internet forum.

Edited by sibon

15 hours ago, sibon said:

I think that Checkers has led a very sheltered life.

Quite the opposite, can't you see that ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody has answered this. Basically locking kids in and the world out has negative effects :

23 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Kids are not stupid, they can see what is happening, they MUST form the view that the world is a dangerous place with loads of people out to get them. The latter does at least explain why so many people these days are so fearful of their own safety, because they were bought up to be so.

Edited by Chekhov

On 07/07/2022 at 14:07, Chekhov said:

Supervision, which we had back in the 70s and 80s, is not the same as being locked in, and the world locked out.... Kids are not stupid, they can see what is happening, they MUST form the view that the world is a dangerous place with loads of people out to get them. The latter does at least explain why so many people these days are so fearful of their own safety, because they were bought up to be so.

Some kids are stupid and most are not..

Some are impetuous  such as running into the road when their football goes astray and that is why playgrounds have fences around them

Also of course to help the school staff to control the children in their charge.

Nothing to do with being fearful ,more a case of kids being feckless 

Incidentally which school was it that only had a 2 feet boundary wall.

42 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Some kids are stupid and most are not..

Some are impetuous  such as running into the road when their football goes astray and that is why playgrounds have fences around them

Also of course to help the school staff to control the children in their charge.

Nothing to do with being fearful ,more a case of kids being feckless 

Incidentally which school was it that only had a 2 feet boundary wall.

Didn't schools start getting fenced in after the Dunblane massacre?

My memory could be faulty on that but I'm sure that's what kicked off the fence them up and lock them in situation we have now?

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Didn't schools start getting fenced in after the Dunblane massacre?

My memory could be faulty on that but I'm sure that's what kicked off the fence them up and lock them in situation we have now?

As I said before all the schools in my district most of which are pre war have surrounding walls and /or fencing.

When these were built I am sure that it was more to keep the kids in a defined area rather than to keep intruders out.

Security as regards locked premises may well have been stepped up as a result of Dunblane and perhaps we have to keep an eye on the all too frequent incidents across the pond.

It seems David Hockney agrees with me :

He said that his era had been the "freest" ever. "I now realise it's over, so I've locked myself away in a nice house in Normandy where I can smoke and do what I want"

@Chekhov

Modern life really is rubbish for many people and for many reasons and that has been the case in every country for generations .

However to be living in England,having a reasonable income,a wife and young family should make you feel reasonably happy with your lot irrespective of the petty tribulations of officialdom and life.

Like David Hockney I get wistful about smokey pubs and pints of Stones but still find plenty to enjoy ,as do my children and grandchildren I am pleased to say.