Modern Life Is Rubbish

14 hours ago, RJRB said:

Exactly as people did then.

You can see examples of people rising  to the occasion in times of adversity over and over again.

Only then might you judge who is feeble or otherwise.

BTW. Which was that school you went to that only had a 2 feet boundary wall?

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

And those filthy rat infested trenches are definitely superspreaders :)

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, trastrick said:

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

And those filthy rat infested trenches are definitely superspreaders :)

Oh, I don’t know. If you threatened the young men with imprisonment or execution, I guess they’d toe the line.

It is  almost always old men that glorify the sending of young men to their deaths in war.

Just now, sibon said:

Oh, I don’t know. If you threatened the young men with imprisonment or execution, I guess they’d toe the line.

It is  almost always old men that glorify the sending of young men to their deaths in war.

Well, it worked for Churchill in WW2 Lots of volunteers, from all over the World.

Wouldn't be surprised if speaking German under the jackboot wouldn't really bother you.  :)

Edited by trastrick

Guest sibon
33 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Well, it worked for Churchill in WW2 Lots of volunteers, from all over the World.

Wouldn't be surprised if speaking German under the jackboot wouldn't really bother you.  :)

Why would you suppose such a stupid thing?

My late uncle was wading along the edge  of the Waal River in 1944 when his mate went under the water, he dived down and saved him but was met by a German soldier when he came up, he reckoned that the event along with his time in a POW camp saved his life, it’s a funny old thing being a hero.

Edited by crookesey

Just now, sibon said:

Why would you suppose such a stupid thing?

I said it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of anti-Bexiters seem to be happy living under the influence of Germany the "powerful powerhouse of the EU" that dominates Europe. (How did THAT happen?  Lol)

They also seem to be involved in World Wars on a regular basis.

As for the language:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/brexit-learning-german-language.aspx

"Germany is Europe’s largest economy, the UK’s most important trading partner, and the political powerhouse of the EU. Graduates with German-language skills are therefore consistently the most sought-after languages graduates by major UK employers.

"In light of these realities, encouraging knowledge of German, the mother tongue of over 100 million Europeans, ought to be a top priority for both government and the business community." 

It makes sense to learn the language of the country that dominates Europe.

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I said it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of anti-Bexiters seem to be happy living under the influence of Germany the "powerful powerhouse of the EU" that dominates Europe. (How did THAT happen?  Lol)

They also seem to be involved in World Wars on a regular basis.

As for the language:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/brexit-learning-german-language.aspx

"Germany is Europe’s largest economy, the UK’s most important trading partner, and the political powerhouse of the EU. Graduates with German-language skills are therefore consistently the most sought-after languages graduates by major UK employers.

"In light of these realities, encouraging knowledge of German, the mother tongue of over 100 million Europeans, ought to be a top priority for both government and the business community." 

It makes sense to learn the language of the country that dominates Europe.

That took you a long time.

I only quoted you to ensure that you couldn’t delete your ridiculous insult. To see you backpedal so furiously is a pleasant bonus.

FYI. I like Germans. They are lovely people.They make excellent cars and household appliances.  I like them so much that I married one.

Edited by sibon

Just now, sibon said:

That took you a long time.

I only quoted you to ensure that you couldn’t delete your ridiculous insult. To see you backpedal so furiously is a pleasant bonus.

FYI. I like Germans. They are lovely people.They make excellent cars and household appliances.  I like them so much that I married one.

Jawohl!

It took me an hour or so to get my walk and swim in today.

I promise not to let it happen again! :)

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Jawohl!

It took me an hour or so to get my walk and swim in today.

I promise not to let it happen again! :)

That’s a shame. I was expecting an unconnected story about teaching in Lincolnshire in the 1950s and the best way to milk a chicken.

Another time, perhaps.

Modern life is great.  I've already basically outlived the generation but one before me due to both better healthcare & new medicines & better health advice overall.  Better housing; better sanitation; better education, available to all.  And before anyone goes on about student fees, (which should never have been introduced), the opportunity for education in the formative years is still free, it's your choice to take it up or not. 

More disposable money but I suppose that's also linked to education? 

The ability to travel more than previous generations & experience more opportunities.   

The internet (good or bad, once again, that's down to the individual). 

To read some of the posts on here, you'd think we were living in some deprived dust bowl in the back of beyond.  Your living in the 21st century, not the 18th.