Modern Life Is Rubbish

Just now, sibon said:

That’s a shame. I was expecting an unconnected story about teaching in Lincolnshire in the 1950s and the best way to milk a chicken.

Another time, perhaps.

Sorry to disappoint you.

But I have a life away from SF, and I might not be back until tomorrow!  :)

36 minutes ago, sibon said:

That took you a long time.

I only quoted you to ensure that you couldn’t delete your ridiculous insult. To see you backpedal so furiously is a pleasant bonus.

FYI. I like Germans. They are lovely people.They make excellent cars and household appliances.  I like them so much that I married one.

I like the Germans too and contrary to the belief of a few usual suspects on here most Germans like the Brits too.

As for their claim that that the Germans dominate Europe why not ask Macron what he thinks.

The truth is no country dominates Europe and decisions are made by mutual agreement by the member states.

The Coal and Steel community/EEC/EU were created primarily as a peace project.

The 'proof of the pudding is in the eating' and The Coal and Steel community/EEC/EU has proven to be the most successful peace project in history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

And would be again

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

I am sure that those who volunteered or were conscripted had their social lives disrupted.

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

Warfare is not a safe environment for those who have to fight the politicians battles.

Having the choice of men or women’s uniforms should cover most eventualities.

18 hours ago, trastrick said:

The last time a Totalitarian tried to take over Europe, he was met with a fair bit of resistance.

Today, most young people would find the basic training at Aldershot would interfere with their social life. Do they have WiFi?

And it definitely is not a safe environment! And they only have 2 uniforms, mens and womens? 

And those filthy rat infested trenches are definitely superspreaders :)

Which war did you fight in? Not many WW2 veterans alive now, would be good to hear your stories of your time on the front line.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Which war did you fight in? Not many WW2 veterans alive now, would be good to hear your stories of your time on the front line.

The times I grew up in were turbulent times. Iron Curtain, Berlin Blackade, Suez Canal. The Atom bomb, the Hydrogen Bomb. Stalin, Mao, Korea, and the nuclear drills. Compulsory National Service.

It was expected that we would be going, like the 2 generations of our family before us. So we prepared, as best we could.

Joined the army cadets at 14/15 with mates Harry Carnall, and Pete Scolley, from Heeley Bank, to learn the basics. Used to drill and play hide and seek at Lowfields School 2 nights a week, Learned how to use and clean a rifle,  and a hot spoon to make those army boots shine.

Registered and took the medical at 18. National Service ended, before I was called up, thank god!

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

The times I grew up in were turbulent times. Iron Curtain, Berlin Blackade, Suez Canal. The Atom bomb, the Hydrogen Bomb. Stalin, Mao, Korea, and the nuclear drills. Compulsory National Service.

It was expected that we would be going, like the 2 generations of our family before us. So we prepared, as best we could.

Joined the army cadets at 14/15 with mates Harry Carnall, and Pete Scolley, from Heeley Bank, to learn the basics. Used to drill and play hide and seek at Lowfields School 2 nights a week, Learned how to use and clean a rifle,  and a hot spoon to make those army boots shine.

Registered and took the medical at 18. National Service ended, before I was called up, thank god!

Can't see any mention of your basic training at Aldershot or life in the trenches that you referred to earlier, I wrongly assumed you had first hand experience rather than spouting about something you know nothing about, and in fact are questioning whether young people could handle it.

Just now, Bargepole23 said:

Can't see any mention of your basic training at Aldershot or life in the trenches that you referred to earlier, I wrongly assumed you had first hand experience rather than spouting about something you know nothing about, and in fact are questioning whether young people could handle it.

I saw what it did to my uncles.

They used to write letters home.

Remember letter writing?  :)

Do you think the young folk would go to the war in Europe to save democracy, if Boris or somebody told them to?

Edited by trastrick

Calling people 'Toffs' or 'Chavs' is being mooted as a Hate Crime.

Name calling is rude and not nice, but a 'Hate Crime?'

This is the problem, once almost anything can be put forward as an undefined, punishable 'Hate Crime,' we are in deep trouble.

17 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Maybe Mr Trastrick has aspirations of becoming a 'forum expert'? :hihi:

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Somewhat undermining your claimed recollection of "having survived the bombs dropped in our neighborhoods"...

...imagine my surprise! :roll:

Edited by Magilla