Modern Life Is Rubbish

9 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

So they're not really breaking in then...
... they're just going through an open door! :suspect:

Now, had it been a cat burglar... :hihi:

You wouldn’t be laughing if you got a seal through your cat flap.

14 minutes ago, sibon said:

You wouldn’t be laughing if you got a seal through your cat flap.

Hmmm... :huh:

It's an interesting article title - "Seal breaks into New Zealand home, traumatises cat...".

We've already agreed that there was no breaking in!

Now call me cynical but...
... I wouldn't be surprised if it's all a scam and the cat intends to make a fraudulent insurance claim! :suspect:

It doesn't look too traumatised to me and seems to be happy enough posing for photographs... :roll:

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Are these foot crossings, or road crossings? And a link to the full story would probably be useful.

It's in my Railway Magazine, which is not "online", not without paying anyway.

But, take my word for it, Network Rail want to get rid of as many level crossings (road or foot) as possible. Any inconvenience caused is of no consequence to them.

Railway crossings have been "safe" for nearly two hundred years, so why are they now "unsafe" ? And how far is this all going to go anyway? 

The truth is society's idea of what is "safe" is going into the stratosphere, the world's reaction to Covid is the best example, it has never occurred before, but, unfortunately, I suspect it will happen again within 50 or so years. Maybe less. One can only hope the massive economic shock we are experiencing will lessen the chances of it, but I am not confident, particularly as Ukraine was invaded shortly after and many people with agendas will (incorrectly) blame that instead.

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

But, take my word for it, Network Rail want to get rid of as many level crossings (road or foot) as possible. Any inconvenience caused is of no consequence to them.

Railway crossings have been "safe" for nearly two hundred years, so why are they now "unsafe" ? And how far is this all going to go anyway? 

The truth is society's idea of what is "safe" is going into the stratosphere, the world's reaction to Covid is the best example, it has never occurred before, but, unfortunately, I suspect it will happen again within 50 or so years. Maybe less. One can only hope the massive economic shock we are experiencing will lessen the chances of it, but I am not confident, particularly as Ukraine was invaded shortly after and many people with agendas will (incorrectly) blame that instead.

Who's on page 3 ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

OK - if it isn't available on line, then I won't be able to verify your claim. I can't take your word for it, because to be honest that sounds a little stupid, especially as regards the road crossings - I can think of a number in Sussex where removing them would cut communities in half - literally. All crossings are 'safe' if those using them employ common sense, but unfortunately 'common sense' is gradually being replaced by 'sod everybody else. I'll do it the way I want - hang the consequences'

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

More Modern Life is becoming more and more (restrictive read rubbish) :

Railway Magazine reports that "approval from the Secretary of State for Transport will allow Network Rail to close or modify 37 crossings in Essex, Hertfordshire and the London Borough of Havering. Where a crossing is closed users will be diverted to a suitable alternative route".

They do not care if anyone will be inconvenienced by these railway crossings being closed, just so long as there is some possibility it will "keep us all safe".

Meanwhile anyone can cross any road (apart from motorways) with no restriction, not that I am arguing for any of the latter.

It's cobblers anyway, one wonders if these rail crossing closures simply result in more road crossings being forced upon the hapless pedestrians as they have to find new longer routes round. Or indeed it just encourages people to drive if the walk is significantly further....

Me being restricted from swimming obviously restricts other people from the same, that goes without saying. 

Where my folks come from there are a couple of isolated pedestrian crossings notorious for teenage suicides. Sure there are other places to do this, but at the moment people don't use those places for this purpose. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

Where my folks come from there are a couple of isolated pedestrian crossings notorious for teenage suicides. Sure there are other places to do this, but at the moment people don't use those places for this purpose. 

Suicide by train is not a pretty sight , believe me