Modern Life Is Rubbish

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

If you had one child that was being protected because their parents were going through a messy divorce, that is enough for a blanket ban on filming.

No it isn't, how much benefit for how much cost ? You talk like someone who doesn't give a toss about the cost, all the parents who want pics and videos of their kids doing something they're good at. Probably because you are not the one paying that cost as you sit at your computer virtue signalling.

But anyway, in the great majority of cases, it's actually the parents "being protected", not the child.

BTW, do you know anything about the internet ? There is so much on there that it's difficult to find anything without Mr Google's help, and if the "problem parent" knows the child is at a particular school (or whatever) then this is all a total waste of time anyway. It makes me laugh, people think they'll put some video "of interest" on You Tube and get millions of hits, hardly any do because thousands of others are doing the same thing.

8 hours ago, Delayed said:

As a visitor to Madeira, you wouldn't be able to change things as you are only there for a short time, so you would have to report your concerns to the local police force. 

Unless you wanted to become a citizen and then vote for law changes.  

(See I can be bothered now)

Is this a genuine answer ?

Did you think I was being serious in my ideas to ban photography within a mile of any beach ?

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am sure it's a small number, but the people organising the event don't know if there will be zero vulnerable children or one hundred.

No, they do know there will not be 100.

BTW, how are you defining "vulnerable" ? I mean exactly and objectively speaking.

This was a big problem during Covid, all those "vulnerable people", but they never objectively defined what "vulnerable" meant.

It's just a word, vulnerable, it's their definition that counts and not ours.

Not sure where to post what I just heard on TV. Advice regarding power cuts and your fridge/freezer, if meat is not refrigeratored for four hours, throw it away 🤣😭

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It's just a word, vulnerable, it's their definition that counts and not ours.

Not sure where to post what I just heard on TV. Advice regarding power cuts and your fridge/freezer, if meat is not refrigeratored for four hours, throw it away 🤣😭

If Chekhov walked across the A616 at Oughtibridge whilst an Audi driver was approaching he may be vulnerable.

As for the meat,throw it in my direction please.

The problem has arisen since photographs are widely circulated on the internet.

Often nothing to do with paedophiles.

A family may have left an area because they were in danger and relocated to an anonymous area.

The photograph could give away their new identity/location.

The problem can be overcome by only having arranged photographs taken excluding the vulnerable person.

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If Chekhov walked across the A616 at Oughtibridge whilst an Audi driver was approaching he may be vulnerable. a prime target

As for the meat,throw it in my direction please.

My abbreviation & additional bold :hihi:

Same here RJRB defrosting meat sounds like a good idea for a midnight barbeque at Padders Bar :thumbsup:

Bring your own serviettes 8)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

A family may have left an area because they were in danger and relocated to an anonymous area.

The problem can be overcome by only having arranged photographs taken excluding the vulnerable person.

And therein lies the problem.  In many cases staff may not know who the vulnerable person is (just that there is one), and the other kids/parents certainly wont, so far easier to ban it altogether.

Also try explaining to a child why they cant be in a photo.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

A friend was a foster carer and she explained that taking photos was an issue for some of her children. More so now that we have social media and photos can be seen by many. Some schools just ban putting photos on social media, but some parents believe their rights are uppermost.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

This is compounded by reverse image searches enabling someone who has one image of someone they wish to target to search for other images containing that person and hence their new identity/location/etc.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

This is true. Sad but true.

When I was teaching the internet was in it's early days, but it was causing a lot of issues even then, photographs being one of them.

We had to write to all the parents (over 400) asking for permission to include photos of their children in the school magazine, (always complimentary, receiving a prize or on a school trip etc.) but it became a nightmare. Checking not just the featured child, but who was in the background, that sort of thing, and then cross referencing it with proof we had the all the relevant parent's consent.

Some parents will always object for whatever reason. The photo of the whole class with the teacher, became a thing of the past, which is such a shame as I greatly value mine from my own and my children's childhood which become more valuable historically with passing time.  

Then there was the school website, (schools have to more or less advertise their school these days on the web.) Again how do you do that without including pictures of pupils doing projects and other interesting things? And then there are the photos/ videos of school plays, sports days etc.

Teachers have enough to do without all this, so many schools have simply stop taking photographs.

It's an absolute minefield.

It's tragic. 

Edited by Anna B