Modern Life Is Rubbish

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:

So it’s not lost then ? And your library as is mine , is still open 

I visited my local library not so long ago.

Totally disappointed, I've more books on a better range of subjects in my attic, than they had on their shelves ☹️.

Keep safe and read well 8)

51 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

I visited my local library not so long ago.

Totally disappointed, I've more books on a better range of subjects in my attic, than they had on their shelves ☹️.

Keep safe and read well 8)

I've managed to collect a few of  the same editions of the actual dog eared books that inspired me when I was a lad, off EBay.

Percy Westerman Omnibus (Captain Cain, Flying Submarine)

Treasure of the Hebrides - (A ripping yarn about 3 lads and a voyage from Arijaba (Harwich Harbour) round the coast to Iona) - Bourne

Rob the Ranger (the French, British, American and Indian Wars in Canada) _ Herbert Strang.

The Growth of Physical Science -Sir james Jeans (The one I've given away the most)

Oh and can't forget that book read under the covers on a cold night with a torch - Swiss Family Robinson. (A morallity tale of optimism, self reliance, resourcefulness, and survival in an "alien" world, or a "paradise" depending on one's worldview!  :)

Nice to see them on my shelf, after all this time!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

I've managed to collect a few of  the same editions of the actual dog eared books that inspired me when I was a lad, off EBay.

Percy Westerman Omnibus (Captain Cain, Flying Submarine)

Treasure of the Hebrides - (A ripping yarn about 3 lads and a voyage from Arijaba (Harwich Harbour) round the coast to Iona) - Bourne

Rob the Ranger (the French, British, American and Indian Wars in Canada) _ Herbert Strang.

The Growth of Physical Science -Sir james Jeans (The one I've given away the most)

Oh and can't forget that book read under the covers on a cold night with a torch - Swiss Family Robinson. (A morallity tale of optimism, self reliance, resourcefulness, and survival in an "alien" world, or a "paradise" depending on one's worldview!  :)

Nice to see them on my shelf, after all this time!

I kept most of my books / car / motorcycle magazines I bought at an early age. and just kept building on what is quite an eclectic collection.

(Mrs Rocker uses a different word ☹️). 

First book I was ever given (Birthday present) 'Two years before the mast'. still not sure I understand all those nautical terms :huh:.

Swiss Family Robinson film has to be one of the best films ever made.

If him upstairs ever graces us with a sizable win on't lottery I'm havin a Tree house same as in the film, and a be-spoke library on two floors, with curly stairs on both sides and a veranda, in the main house 🧐

See the source image

See the source image

That would do :thumbsup:.

Modern life isn't rubbish 8).

Driving in't rain with pillocks with no lights on (usually in black BMW's) in the early morning is.

Keep safe out there 8)

Many people on here, and in fact face to face, keep telling me all these restrictions on pics of school performances and kids galas is because of "social media" and the parents being paranoid about their kids pics being on the internet and possibly being identifiable.

I think it is more likely that it is down to the modern obsession with "you cannot be too safe" (regardless of the cost, financial or to our freedoms).

Well I got a very interesting book out of Stocksbridge Library "Sheffield in the 70s" by Peter Goodman, a former Assistant Editor of The Star. The Moor before pedestrianisation, Sheaf Valley baths, working men's clubs full of, err, actual working men (and their wives) etc etc, and the fashions really are something to behold ! 

It was published in 2002 and has loads of pictures of adults and kids, there must be 100s of people with their full name published, and, in many cases, the school or area of Sheffield where they live ! OK it's in a book not Online, but, in fact (and many people do not seem to realise this) far far more people will see those pics than would see any pics published on the internet, 100X more, maybe even a 1000X more ? And that, for many of them, is with their names printed as well, not just some pic where some people are semi identifiable in the middle background.

In fact in the Intro Pater Goodman even states "There are hundreds of identifiable faces in the book - and yours might just be one of them !"

And a good thing to, I was trying to identify some of the unnamed kids from King Ecgbert's !

People won't be doing that 40 years as there will be no identifiable pics, certainly not with names on them, because, err, modern life really is rubbish. It's paranoid and getting worse all the time.....

Edited by Chekhov

23 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Many people on here, and in fact face to face, keep telling me all these restrictions on pics of school performances and kids galas is because of "social media" and the parents being paranoid about their kids pics being on the internet and possibly being identifiable.

I think it is more likely that it is down to the modern obsession with you cannot be too safe (regardless of the cost, financial or to our freedoms).

Well I got a very interesting book out of Stocksbridge Library "Sheffield in the 70s" by Peter Goodman, a former Assistant Editor of The Star. The Moor before pedestrianisation, Sheaf Valley baths, working men's clubs full of, err, actual working men (and their wives) etc etc, and the fashions really are something to behold ! 

It was published in 2002 and has loads of pictures of adults and kids, there must be 100s of people with their full name published, and, in many cases, the school or area of Sheffield where they live ! OK it's in a book not Online, but, in fact (and many people do not seem to realise this) far far more people will see those pics than would see any pics published on the internet, 100X more, maybe even a 1000X more ? And that, for many of them, is with their names printed as well, not just some pic where the subjects are semi identifiable in the middle background.

In fact in the Intro Pater Goodman even states "There are hundreds of identifiable faces in the book - and yours might just be one of them !"

And a good thing to, I was trying to identify some of the unnamed kids from King Ecgbert's !

People won't be doing that 40 years as there will be no identifiable pics, certainly not with names on them, because, err, modern life really is rubbish. It's paranoid and getting worse all the time.....

I would wager that the number of children molested by a camera carrying spectator at a school event, is dwarfed by the number of innocents molested by relatives, care givers, schoolteachers, priests. and others in society who have supervisory rights over children.

What's madness is that the increasing regulation of law abiding citizens is the least effective way of dealing with these unfortunate crimes, and a waste of government resources to boot!

There seems to be much more enthusiasm for protecting and enhancing criminal's "rights", in today's Western society!

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I think it is more likely that it is down to the modern obsession with "you cannot be too safe" (regardless of the cost, financial or to our freedoms).

It was published in 2002 and has loads of pictures of adults and kids, there must be 100s of people with their full name published, and, in many cases, the school or area of Sheffield where they live ! OK it's in a book not Online, but, in fact (and many people do not seem to realise this) far far more people will see those pics than would see any pics published on the internet, 100X more, maybe even a 1000X more ? And that, for many of them, is with their names printed as well, not just some pic where some people are semi identifiable in the middle background.

Is that book available worldwide instantly?

Does the Police have a 'historical books ' division as well as a cyber security division too? 

I hope so because a local history book seems like a massive threat 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Delayed said:

Is that book available worldwide instantly?

Does the Police have a 'historical books ' division as well as a cyber security division too? 

I hope so because a local history book seems like a massive threat 

Sorry, of what possible relevance is that ? Are you saying all those Paedos (who we are restricting our lives to protect people from) or estranger parents live abroad ?

>>I hope so because a local history book seems like a massive threat<<

We can agree for once. The threat from a local history book is close to zero, just like the threat from having one's picture on a website somewhere or other (that hardly anyone will go on anyway).

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Sorry, of what possible relevance is that ? Are you saying all those Paedos (who we are restricting our lives to protect people from) or estranger parents live abroad ?

>>I hope so because a local history book seems like a massive threat<<

We can agree for once. The threat from a local history book is close to zero, just like the threat from having one's picture on a website somewhere or other (that hardly anyone will go on anyway).

Not what I'm saying at all. 

I'm saying that a local history book isn't available to everyone worldwide instantly as opposed to anything on the internet

A random local history book is not a risk in comparison to photos on the internet

If you genuinely believe that it is you're a bigger idiot than I took you for. 

@Chekhov

Nothing has changed.

Plenty of picture of kids on TV ,on websites and in newspapers.

A few celebrities kids faces are blocked out to keep their privacy and some kids identities withheld for perfectly good reason.

Your only argument is with the establishments that ban you taking photos for their own reasons on their own premises or at events under their control.

Why such a song and dance about it.

10 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Not what I'm saying at all. 

I'm saying that a local history book isn't available to everyone worldwide instantly as opposed to anything on the internet

A random local history book is not a risk in comparison to photos on the internet

If you genuinely believe that it is you're a bigger idiot than I took you for. 

>>A random local history book is not a risk in comparison to photos on the internet<<

Really ? If you think that it's you who are the idiot.

Have you any idea how few people actually go on most webpages ?

No you haven't have you ?

And the fact a webpage is available worldwide is, for most purposes irrelevant for two reasons :

1 - A website from abroad, esp in a foreign language, would not usually come up on a  search result, or it would be so far down nobody would ever get that far scrolling down to it.

2 - How many people abroad would be interested in what is happening in Sheffield ?

Basically your attitude to this subject reflects your attitude to Covid and much else : a poor grasp of risk probability and very high risk aversion, in fact it's fear verging on paranoia. Stay behind your Sofa D, it's much safer there (but don't use the stairs because they are, statistically, quite dangerous).

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

@Chekhov

Nothing has changed.

Plenty of picture of kids on TV ,on websites and in newspapers.

A few celebrities kids faces are blocked out to keep their privacy and some kids identities withheld for perfectly good reason.

Your only argument is with the establishments that ban you taking photos for their own reasons on their own premises or at events under their control.

Why such a song and dance about it.

Because it's unnecessary disproportionate BS and it is negatively affecting me and thousands (millions ? ) of other parents.

>>Nothing has changed.<<

I don't think you understand this my post, this whole thread, and indeed life, if you think that.

Edited by Chekhov