The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

On 04/03/2023 at 15:47, martyn pearson said:

Brilliant! I was born in 1956 and brought up on Hawthorne road. Steep hills! And I remember bombing down on one roller skate under my christmas annual. Would go at quite a clip, straight down the hill - dread to think what would have happened if there had been any cars around. My memories are of walking on my own up to Malin Bridge Infants and Juniors with a handkerchief round my face to filter the smog - the handkerchief was black when I got there. Being lulled to sleep by the sound of steam hammers. Racing 'round the lump' and cat walking through peoples back yards and gardens. Going with my mates on Friday evening to Hillsborough Baths and eating chips with scraps from Taplin road chippy. Spending my pocket money on American comics at the newsagents at the top of the hill. I don't live in Sheffield anymore and miss it dearly.

Strange how memories differ. I was born a few years earlier in Hillsborough  and never had the need of a handkerchief to cover my face against smog.

The sound of steam hammers…yes…

Happy memories of Hillsborough baths…learned to swim there.

You went to the wrong chippy….Rudyard road chippy was the best.

Pocket money was earned..a paper round six nights a week and Sunday morning.

Earned money was paid to me Saturday morning…Saturday afternoon I paid it to the cycle shop for my cycle.

That bike opened a whole new world of cycling up the rivelin valley and beyond…..Bamford, Castleton, ..and beyond.

I don’t live in Sheffield anymore…and don’t miss it one bit.

That said….happy memories.

I attended a "reunion" up at GVS (Gleadless Valley School) in May 1995 advertised in the Star, booked the afternoon off work, and there was literally only me that turned up! Plus I was living in lower Walkley back then and didn't know the Buses in Norton so it took me 3 hours to get Home.

1 hour ago, XPertByExperien said:

I attended a "reunion" up at GVS (Gleadless Valley School) in May 1995 advertised in the Star, booked the afternoon off work, and there was literally only me that turned up! Plus I was living in lower Walkley back then and didn't know the Buses in Norton so it took me 3 hours to get Home.

43 to Pond Street every 20 mins.

What years was you at GVS?.

10 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

43 to Pond Street every 20 mins.

What years was you at GVS?.

September 1987 to end of April 1992.

More to the point, on what Planet was it a good idea to send a lad from lower Walkley to a school up Norton back in the mid to late 80s? Even if it did have a disabled "Unit"? :loopy: :rant:

Edited by XPertByExperien
More detail and a small rant

On 04/03/2023 at 15:47, martyn pearson said:

Brilliant! I was born in 1956 and brought up on Hawthorne road. Steep hills! And I remember bombing down on one roller skate under my christmas annual. Would go at quite a clip, straight down the hill - dread to think what would have happened if there had been any cars around. My memories are of walking on my own up to Malin Bridge Infants and Juniors with a handkerchief round my face to filter the smog - the handkerchief was black when I got there. Being lulled to sleep by the sound of steam hammers. Racing 'round the lump' and cat walking through peoples back yards and gardens. Going with my mates on Friday evening to Hillsborough Baths and eating chips with scraps from Taplin road chippy. Spending my pocket money on American comics at the newsagents at the top of the hill. I don't live in Sheffield anymore and miss it dearly.

I can remember doing all that with you along with steve cullen,keith robertson, gary and kevin jenkinson,all of us going to wisewood school,you have a brother called neil if i remember right.

On 29/09/2022 at 18:25, Yorkshire Lass said:

Clun Road, Pitsmore 1- 5 yrs, we lived with grandma on a very hilly cobbled road. Our neighbour had stuffed animals in his front room he was a magician and liked cactii. His daughter wore very pretty dresses. My brother made nail varnish remover for girls, he had blown eggs in his bedroom. I wet my pants at school and ran home my brother washed them. Helping mum push a wooden barrow with slack in it.

Studfield Hill Wisewood, 5-7yrs my mum putting me outside school at 6.30 in the morning so she could catch the bus to work, scrumping for apples with friends and nearly being caught by the farmer, roller skating my absolute love,  building a raft to use on the local pond, listening to the radio and thinking little people lived inside of it.

North Street  Sheffield,  our toilet was in the yard and we had newspaper hung on a nail on the door, a tin bath hung on our wall outside, we had no garden, I used to play outside on the pavement with the other children, in the winter we had ice on the inside of the windows. we had a open fire downstairs which I used to make before mum came home from work. Going on holiday and mum ran out of money and a lady gave her some so we could get home. Mum buying me a second hand treadle sewing machine and making my own clothes using patterns.

I have masses of memories of my early years and the struggle my mother had bringing my brother and  me up, she worked two jobs to make ends meet, Monday to Friday in a factory and Saturday washing glasses at a pub. Worked all her life never went out without me and lived for us. My father who I do not know decided he wanted the single life when she was pregnant with me. so left.

My mother was born in 1907 very slim 4 foot 11 inch, before she married was a under house maid in a doctors, my father was born in 1895.

Re: "Clun Road, Pitsmore 1- 5 yrs, we lived with grandma on a very hilly cobbled road."

I worked for some years on Clun Street, just around the corner. A factory called Troika. Big building. Some well dodgy pubs around there, but the best thing was an amazing kebab place near the little roundabout.

On 29/09/2022 at 18:25, Yorkshire Lass said:

Clun Road, Pitsmore 1- 5 yrs, we lived with grandma on a very hilly cobbled road. Our neighbour had stuffed animals in his front room he was a magician and liked cactii. His daughter wore very pretty dresses. My brother made nail varnish remover for girls, he had blown eggs in his bedroom. I wet my pants at school and ran home my brother washed them. Helping mum push a wooden barrow with slack in it.

Studfield Hill Wisewood, 5-7yrs my mum putting me outside school at 6.30 in the morning so she could catch the bus to work, scrumping for apples with friends and nearly being caught by the farmer, roller skating my absolute love,  building a raft to use on the local pond, listening to the radio and thinking little people lived inside of it.

North Street  Sheffield,  our toilet was in the yard and we had newspaper hung on a nail on the door, a tin bath hung on our wall outside, we had no garden, I used to play outside on the pavement with the other children, in the winter we had ice on the inside of the windows. we had a open fire downstairs which I used to make before mum came home from work. Going on holiday and mum ran out of money and a lady gave her some so we could get home. Mum buying me a second hand treadle sewing machine and making my own clothes using patterns.

I have masses of memories of my early years and the struggle my mother had bringing my brother and  me up, she worked two jobs to make ends meet, Monday to Friday in a factory and Saturday washing glasses at a pub. Worked all her life never went out without me and lived for us. My father who I do not know decided he wanted the single life when she was pregnant with me. so left.

My mother was born in 1907 very slim 4 foot 11 inch, before she married was a under house maid in a doctors, my father was born in 1895.

One day in the 1950s my cousin and his pals were playing in the tunnels at the bottom of Studfield Hill. He got trapped and his pal phoned for help. The fire brigade came and my father who was a fireman got a shock when he rescued his nephew. His nephew got a shock also when he saw his fireman uncle .

On 06/03/2023 at 17:19, jonnythefox said:

I can remember doing all that with you along with steve cullen,keith robertson, gary and kevin jenkinson,all of us going to wisewood school,you have a brother called neil if i remember right.

Yes, Neil is my younger brother and now lives in Chapletown. Steven Cullen (there's a blast from the past) lives in Liverpool last I heard. Keith Robertson did move to Stannington. Gary may still live in Hillsborough, Malin Bridge area. A number of years ago I went to a Wisewood School reunion for our year and met our old history teacher who'd turned 100. I always think of my childhood years with great happiness and still visit my parents and family regularly. 

5 hours ago, martyn pearson said:

Yes, Neil is my younger brother and now lives in Chapletown. Steven Cullen (there's a blast from the past) lives in Liverpool last I heard. Keith Robertson did move to Stannington. Gary may still live in Hillsborough, Malin Bridge area. A number of years ago I went to a Wisewood School reunion for our year and met our old history teacher who'd turned 100. I always think of my childhood years with great happiness and still visit my parents and family regularly. 

Yes i think steve cullen still lives in liverpool,keith robbo died last year and as far as i know gary does live near malin bridge.If you are wondering who i am, well im dave magill