The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

Church Lane, Woodhouse. Dave Berry's dad bringing a piece of coal round at New Year. Trifle and Yorkshire salad. Story records that ran at 15rpm. Pushing the coal delivery down the coal hole. Mowing the lawn 😬

• Like 1

reney avenue in the 50s/60s not many cars in them days,off to graves park,fishing in the boating lake and putting them in the middle pond,and watching out for the park keeper, life was simple in those days,winters where cruel no central heating,ice on the windows ,kids say that must of been bad,then you tell them the inside and they go OMG,the summers seemed long,yes great days

Although for a short while, as a baby, we lived on Canny Street in Attercliffe with grandparents, first real memories are of living on Mulehouse Road on Crookes. That was through the 60s.

Played with kids on Cross Lane, on the Bole Hills, in Crookes cemetery, on the fields behind Crookes Workingmen's Club (before they built houses on them) and knew every single shop on Crookes main drag that sold Marvel and DC Comics. My grandad had the allotment next to Joe Cocker's granddad.

Educated at Lydgate Lane, then on to King Ted's.

Not a bad childhood at all 😀.

chapel lane attercliffe, just off worksop road. sitting on the footpath in summer making marbles from the tar between the cobbles. running around the waste ground behind the library.visits to the baths. glory days!!

52 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Not far away in Parson Cross. I remember the famous Magnet pub.

Life was simpler in those days without the internet. Kids actually played outside ! 

We’d play hours at marbles,kick can and football because we couldn’t afford real toys and wasn’t unusual to roll in after 8pm with grazed knees.

Green Oak Ave , Totley 

Prefab life was the best 

Like others , we spent whole days out of the house, either in the park or in the woods or just sat on a pavement edge.

We biked, played football and sledged on our road  cos cars were such a rarity 

As kids there were no trips out, no dining out and a holiday was treated like a once in a lifetime event.
Simpler more innocent times , and that’s not just cos we were young 

Coniston Avenue, Darton near Barnsley. Middle 1950s to late 1960s, turned 16 in 1970.

Similar memories as above. I suppose my childhood was quite idyllic when I look back similar to other stories above.  Only one family had a car on the street which meant we could play football or cricket all day without fear . Roamed in woods, fields etc.   When I look back it was a homogeneously white working class background where I grew up. It was a pit village and seemingly all the men worked in the mines. Life was all about football and cricket and fortunately i was good at both. We played tennis at the local Rec during Wimbledon and cricket had equal importance with football although that seemed to change after England won the World Cup in 1966 and football just became the all encompassing monolith that it is today. Mores the pity. As others have said life was traditional and each week seemed pre-determined, Prudential man Tuesday, washing Monday, fish and chips Friday.

To be honest I think Thatcher’s election in 1979 was the catalyst that seemed to change a lot

Edited by Ridgewalk