Explain This To Me-Begging Sat On Cold Concrete.

Grammar school? I know my daughter's schools have taught her to make a pretty good tomato soup, a pasta sauce, and other decent food as part of the curriculum. She started in KS2 but I don't remember when she stopped, certainly before choosing her GCSEs.  She's 17 now as well. 

eta: I'm pretty sure she learned to use a frying pan but we taught her at home as well. 

Edited by RabM

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2022 at 11:47, Anna B said:

Don't apologise, you are entitled to your opinion. 

I would agree with the highlighted bit of your post if it was a practical option, but it's not dealing with the mental health crisis which is the cause of much homelessness. 

And any intervention comes with a cost. And the more complex the problem the greater the cost. 

Regarding your comment about “Mental Health “....

Or shall we say “Well Being”...

It sounds better there is still a lot of stigma with the words “Mental health”...

You are right to point this out “Anna B”...

People suffering need to realise that by drinking and taking drugs will bring out bad thoughts and also psychological problems....

People who have suffered abuse when young and turn to drugs in their adulthood run the risk of bringing on psychosis it will bring the suffering to the forefront and will consume them....

I know it is a uphill battle to turn our homeless people away from drugs but it needs to be done....

Many of these unfortunate people didn’t experience any family love at all I am also aware that many have had a decent family and still turned to drugs there has to be a solution or it will get much worse than it is...

Society on a whole needs to find a solution to fix this problem or we will have more generations turning to drink/drugs to deal with their problems maybe someone needs to teach them how to make peace with their suffering and to let go of their pain and hurt and to turn it into positive acts....

Just a thought....

1 hour ago, Box11 said:

Regarding your comment about “Mental Health “....

Or shall we say “Well Being”...

It sounds better there is still a lot of stigma with the words “Mental health”...

You are right to point this out “Anna B”...

People suffering need to realise that by drinking and taking drugs will bring out bad thoughts and also psychological problems....

People who have suffered abuse when young and turn to drugs in their adulthood run the risk of bringing on psychosis it will bring the suffering to the forefront and will consume them....

I know it is a uphill battle to turn our homeless people away from drugs but it needs to be done....

Many of these unfortunate people didn’t experience any family love at all I am also aware that many have had a decent family and still turned to drugs there has to be a solution or it will get much worse than it is...

Society on a whole needs to find a solution to fix this problem or we will have more generations turning to drink/drugs to deal with their problems maybe someone needs to teach them how to make peace with their suffering and to let go of their pain and hurt and to turn it into positive acts....

Just a thought....

I couldn't agree more, but the problem is so big and the cure so complex,  for the most part it is neither available or nor effective. Characteristics like resilience, independence and endeavour start being built in childhood, preferably in a safe, secure family environment, and sadly for some people they are not always achievable.

People grow up with different personalities, strengths and weaknesses that they struggle with. Modern Society seems to be applying more and more pressure to succeed, and those without those attributes will always struggle.   

Guest sibon
On 09/06/2022 at 15:31, trastrick said:

Ah. Life skills.

How important they are. And how they are almost a lost art among today's generation.

In the UK, I was home doing the "house husband" job for my partner, who was away at her work. Her teenage grammar school kids turned their noses up at the healthy hearty food I'd cooked. So I told them to cook their own damned food.

A little later the boy 17 or so, comes in to the lounge, holding up a frying pan.

"Is this a frying pan?", he asked.

Seriously  :)

That will be lack of parenting skills that caused the problem.

Nobody else to blame, but the family, or families, that the kid was raised in.

Edited by sibon

10 hours ago, sibon said:

That will be lack of parenting skills that caused the problem.

Nobody else to blame, but the family, or families, that the kid was raised in.

Always lots of blame to go around! Blame is the name of the game, these days.

My first week of teaching high school kids, I found myself in an OFSTED inspection. The big reason I was there.

In an IT class, I had to quickly get up to speed with the curriculum, so I gave them 3 simple projects, a spreadsheet of their personal monthly budget with a forecast for the year,  a school newsletter, and a formal letter of application to the HR Director of a major company, with a CV.

Through it they learned the basics of modern communications, and I was able to set up a system for course work marking.

It was met with surprise at first, but the Inspectors liked it, and Iater I was congratulated by the Head and the teachers, for getting a sorely needed "satisfactory" classification for my class, in my first week there.

Don't recall spending any time on "gender studies" or "racial discrimination".

Life skills are the responsibility of parents AND teachers, in my view.

Edited by trastrick

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

Always lots of blame to go around! Blame is the name of the game, these days.

My first week of teaching high school kids, I found myself in an OFSTED inspection. The big reason I was there.

In an IT class, I had to quickly get up to speed with the curriculum, so I gave them 3 simple projects, a spreadsheet of their personal monthly budget with a forecast for the year,  a school newsletter, and a formal letter of application to the HR Director of a major company, with a CV.

Through it they learned the basics of modern communications, and I was able to set up a system for course work marking.

It was met with surprise at first, but the Inspectors liked it, and Iater I was congratulated by the Head and the teachers, for getting a sorely needed "satisfactory" classification for my class, in my first week there.

Don't recall spending any time on "gender studies" or "racial discrimination".

Life skills are the responsibility of parents AND teachers, in my view.

So true.

But it seems that so much in the modern world conspires against it.

Teachers are hidebound by an often unsuitable curriculum that they have had no say in, and the need to hit targets and achieve good exam results, often at the expense of kids with other skills. Kids are also often disillusioned with the whole education process which sometimes seems irrelevant to them, and are also lacking in experiences that mould them outside the curriculum. Not all kids get the support they need.

Parents do their best, but not all parents are good parents for all sorts of reasons. Most parents often have to work long and hard to support their family even in the basics. Yes, of course they should be teaching their children life skills, and most manage it to some degree but it requires energy and time.  I can see why it's not always able to be a priority, and it has to be said not all kids want to learn. 

There's a lot of anxiety about, and about the future and the direction things are heading in. Not all kids have the confidence to plot a path through it, and find it easier to bury their heads in the sand. Then they don't develop the right skills needed to cope with problems and adversity, and become pray to things like drugs and alcohol. 

It's a long way down, and very difficult to climb back up.  

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

So true.

But it seems that so much in the modern world conspires against it.

Teachers are hidebound by an often unsuitable curriculum that they have had no say in, and the need to hit targets and achieve good exam results, often at the expense of kids with other skills. Kids are also often disillusioned with the whole education process which sometimes seems irrelevant to them, and are also lacking in experiences that mould them outside the curriculum. Not all kids get the support they need.

Parents do their best, but not all parents are good parents for all sorts of reasons. Most parents often have to work long and hard to support their family even in the basics. Yes, of course they should be teaching their children life skills, and most manage it to some degree but it requires energy and time.  I can see why it's not always able to be a priority, and it has to be said not all kids want to learn. 

There's a lot of anxiety about, and about the future and the direction things are heading in. Not all kids have the confidence to plot a path through it, and find it easier to bury their heads in the sand. Then they don't develop the right skills needed to cope with problems and adversity, and become pray to things like drugs and alcohol. 

It's a long way down, and very difficult to climb back up.  

It all comes down to education.

There are some who believe that parents should have no part in school education and curriculum.

They can cite extreme cases of parental neglect and so on.

But most succesful people in all areas of society, will, more than not, on recieving awards, thank their parents for the sacrifices and encouragement of their careers.

It's the proud parents in the audience that get teared up, not their school teachers.

(And they take their cameras with them!)  :)