Explain This To Me-Begging Sat On Cold Concrete.

12 hours ago, pattricia said:

My son once bought a beggar some sandwiches from M &S. He threw them casually over his shoulder pulling a face at the same time. I guess he wanted money instead. Most of them go back to hostels at night so are not homeless.

Happened to me too. I was going into McDonalds and was asked by a beggar for some spare change.

I said I didn't carry money but would buy him food or a hot drink.

"That's no good, I f****ng want MONEY!" he angrily shouted.

I'm not being awkward but there are various soup kitchens etc they can get food at, but they often need money for other things like toiletries for example, and yes, for drugs and alcohol to self medicate. I'm not saying that's right, but I do think it's understandable. I've said it before, I think if I was ever on the street and lost all hope, I'd probably need something to help me bear it...

22 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Or they may be mentally ill , Lots of street people are , it is not easy sitting in the cold and rain for days on end .  Every one has a story to tell .

Many years ago, perhaps before you were born, I was a trainee administrator at Fir Vale Infirmary where there was a ward, a big block separate from the rest, called Coleridge Ward which was not part of the hospital as such but was what was called then Part Three Accommodation. The "patients" were not ill but were generally incapable of finding and running a home for themselves and were allowed out of the hospital to spend the day as they wished. A great uncle of mine was one of them. A newspaper seller in his working years (Late Night Final at Moorhead) he was an odd character. But Coleridge ward offered an evening meal, a well made bed and regular health checks.  There were many people in such a situation in 1959/60. The "Old 600" hostel on West Bar took many. I think that was the forerunner of the Salvation Army Hostel in Fitzwilliam Street. But begging was illegal under the Vagrancy Act of 1877 and the City police enforced it.    When they encountered tramps and beggars they were directed or taken to these places. Some police officers were kinder than others.  Homeless and slightly mentally ill people  (i.e. those who do not conform to acceptable standards) abound. They did then and they do now. But somewhere along the line some politician(s) decided they knew better.  I feel sorry for beggars but I do not give them money. I am a pensioner myself now.  I feel sorry for Boris and his Conservatives and I give them money....in the form of reluctant taxation.   Society needs to re-balance...and we could learn a lot from the past. The answer is in the ballot box into which you should ensure you place your vote. With recent polls showing a largely apathetic turn out we can not expect good government or good policies. 

Guest makapaka
On 30/05/2022 at 19:54, Janus said:

On a cold day I see beggers sat on the cold concrete ground for example. I say to myself, there must be  easier ways to make a few quid. For example, tidying someone's garden, creosoting a fence etc

Ask em if they want to come and do some work for you for the living wage for the day - see what they say?  

£10/hr.

1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

Many years ago, perhaps before you were born, I was a trainee administrator at Fir Vale Infirmary where there was a ward, a big block separate from the rest, called Coleridge Ward which was not part of the hospital as such but was what was called then Part Three Accommodation. The "patients" were not ill but were generally incapable of finding and running a home for themselves and were allowed out of the hospital to spend the day as they wished. A great uncle of mine was one of them. A newspaper seller in his working years (Late Night Final at Moorhead) he was an odd character. But Coleridge ward offered an evening meal, a well made bed and regular health checks.  There were many people in such a situation in 1959/60. The "Old 600" hostel on West Bar took many. I think that was the forerunner of the Salvation Army Hostel in Fitzwilliam Street. But begging was illegal under the Vagrancy Act of 1877 and the City police enforced it.    When they encountered tramps and beggars they were directed or taken to these places. Some police officers were kinder than others.  Homeless and slightly mentally ill people  (i.e. those who do not conform to acceptable standards) abound. They did then and they do now. But somewhere along the line some politician(s) decided they knew better.  I feel sorry for beggars but I do not give them money. I am a pensioner myself now.  I feel sorry for Boris and his Conservatives and I give them money....in the form of reluctant taxation.   Society needs to re-balance...and we could learn a lot from the past. The answer is in the ballot box into which you should ensure you place your vote. With recent polls showing a largely apathetic turn out we can not expect good government or good policies. 

The closing of hospitals for mental ill and  displaced people was a big mistake leading to folk wondering the streets and the situation we have today , The Middlewood Hospital being a example .

1 hour ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

The closing of hospitals for mental ill and  displaced people was a big mistake leading to folk wondering the streets and the situation we have today , The Middlewood Hospital being a example .

Exactly. They closed these places and offered 'care in the community' instead. Unfortunately it proved expensive, and was gradually withdrawn, leaving these sick people to fend for themselves. We are seeing the results.

Even the Victorians had workhouses...

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Exactly. They closed these places and offered 'care in the community' instead. Unfortunately it proved expensive, and was gradually withdrawn, leaving these sick people to fend for themselves. We are seeing the results.

Even the Victorians had workhouses...

Would you like to see workhouses brought back ?