Explain This To Me-Begging Sat On Cold Concrete.

11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Would you like to see workhouses brought back ? 

Of course not, they were dreadful places, but were they any worse than leaving sick people to survive alone on the streets being despised by everyone? I meant it as a comparison not a solution.

On 30/05/2022 at 19:54, Janus said:

Maybe this is the way I think, but I am interested to hear the perspective of how others see this.

On a cold day I see beggers sat on the cold concrete ground for example. I say to myself, there must be  easier ways to make a few quid. For example, tidying someone's garden, creosoting a fence etc.

When sitting on the ground it has to be colder than walking about, and even walking about in winter is cold. What do others think? What/how  would  you do  in their situation?

I think it's disgusting that in the 21st century there are still people who are so ill, poor or disabled in some way who are forced to beg in order to continue to exist.  You are assuming that these 'beggars' are all feeling well and are not depressed or feeling sad/anxious/upset/scared. They must have lost all sense of pride and dignity. What I think is that there's just not enough empathy. Sadly, not everyone who is down on their luck has the capability to be tidying someone's garden or creosoting fences. You don't know anyone else's story or struggles and it's really not your place to judge them, either. If I were in their situation I would just cry all day long. Someone would take me away to somewhere at some point eventually.  And they're not all on drugs, either.

4 hours ago, MallyMon said:

I think it's disgusting that in the 21st century there are still people who are so ill, poor or disabled in some way who are forced to beg in order to continue to exist.  You are assuming that these 'beggars' are all feeling well and are not depressed or feeling sad/anxious/upset/scared. They must have lost all sense of pride and dignity. What I think is that there's just not enough empathy. Sadly, not everyone who is down on their luck has the capability to be tidying someone's garden or creosoting fences. You don't know anyone else's story or struggles and it's really not your place to judge them, either. If I were in their situation I would just cry all day long. Someone would take me away to somewhere at some point eventually.  And they're not all on drugs, either.

I think the vast majority of people think it’s disgusting that there are people begging on the street in this country in 2022.  I would be happy to pay more tax if it went towards providing long term help to these people and getting them off the streets. I am not happy about giving cash to a beggar who might well use it to buy drugs…. WHY IS THAT? There was a case fairly recently of someone who died recently because they refused to go to hospital for treatment because they wanted to stay in the city centre to beg to fund their drug habit. This person was not homeless.  Clearly they had serious mental health issues but it’s misplaced kindness that stopped this person engaging with support services and buying drugs that killed them. That is the sad, cold truth.
The message then goes out to try to discourage people for giving money directly to beggars but is often met with ‘how can you be so heartless’ and ‘even it goes on drugs they must be desperate and they should have a crumb of comfort at least’ and so it goes on and on an on..

I blame the policy makers that closed the institutions that used to care for those unable to take care of themselves. They were not perfect but the situation we have today is worse.  

I came out of the City Hall one evening after a concert. A young woman came up to me holding her hand out for money. When I refused, she followed me down town, shouting at the top of her voice “ You don’t know what it’s like to be homeless!”  Many of these people go back to hostels each night. If they are homeless where are their sleeping bags ?

On 06/06/2022 at 09:23, pattricia said:

I came out of the City Hall one evening after a concert. A young woman came up to me holding her hand out for money. When I refused, she followed me down town, shouting at the top of her voice “ You don’t know what it’s like to be homeless!”  Many of these people go back to hostels each night. If they are homeless where are their sleeping bags ?

Did you not know that when people are moved on from shop doorways etc. their sleeping bags and paraphernalia are often confiscated and trashed to 'tidy up the area,' and to stop them setting up elsewhere.

Same thing happens if they leave them unattended. 

As for the woman who followed you, I appreciate it was unpleasant for you, but there's a good chance she is desperate and /or mentally ill. Women in particular are not safe on the street in this position, I'm sure if she could find a place in a hostel (they fill up quickly and places not always available) she would be using it. 

You know what gets me so angry about this situation !!!!....

There are loads of organised groups claiming to help these unfortunate people but for me they are making the problem much worse !!!!...

They encourage people to talk constantly about their problems even on TV and radio stations national and local !!!...

If you broke your leg had a operation you wouldn’t bang on about it 24/7 would you by making people open up and spilling their guts is no good for anybody....

You would get on with it and be positive for me many of these so called organisations that are supposedly helping people are not fit for purpose at all and are years behind  !!!!...

They should be teaching them how to be self efficient and strong and to stand on their own instead of constantly going through a revolving door !!!!...

That’s my opinion !!!!...

”Sorry for the rant but like I said the whole situation just makes me so angry and upset” !!!!....

Edited by Box11

On 07/06/2022 at 18:52, Box11 said:

You know what gets me so angry about this situation !!!!....

There are loads of organised groups claiming to help these unfortunate people but for me they are making the problem much worse !!!!...

They encourage people to talk constantly about their problems even on TV and radio stations national and local !!!...

If you broke your leg had a operation you wouldn’t bang on about it 24/7 would you by making people open up and spilling their guts is no good for anybody....

You would get on with it and be positive for me many of these so called organisations that are supposedly helping people are not fit for purpose at all and are years behind  !!!!...

They should be teaching them how to be self efficient and strong and to stand on their own instead of constantly going through a revolving door !!!!...

That’s my opinion !!!!...

”Sorry for the rant but like I said the whole situation just makes me so angry and upset” !!!!....

Don't apologise, you are entitled to your opinion. 

I would agree with the highlighted bit of your post if it was a practical option, but it's not dealing with the mental health crisis which is the cause of much homelessness. 

And any intervention comes with a cost. And the more complex the problem the greater the cost. 

Edited by Anna B

I don't know what the problem with "homelessness" in the U.K. is, but I know the prime cause of the problem they have in the city of Toronto, where they (mostly younger folk) clog up the sidewalks, subways, bus shelters, and restaurant doorways.

In addition to the substantial and generous social and safety net resources available. we have a population of caring folk, who have come to accept them, as just victims of society. They watch TV, Lol

So people feel good about buying them food, giving them money, bringing them clothing, as just a part of their civic duty, to care.

These panhandlers sometimes get into a spat about their "territory", the prime post up spots, (the liquor strore, and donut shop entrances are often contested)

This, in a city that will even provide them hotel accomodation, to get them off the street, but it doesn't work, for one obvious reason.

Panhandling pays!

From what I've seen, these people are not "mental cases", they know exactly what they are doing.

Some people in our midtown pub claim to have watched their "earnings" over an hour or so, and it's hard to believe.

(For some reason, we don't have that problem in my town in the DR, despite the lack of the nanny state safety net)

Edited by trastrick

On 07/06/2022 at 18:52, Box11 said:

A social worker I knew years back (1980?) told me about being at a basic cookery class in Barlinnie Prison Glasgow. One guy who'd been in and out a few times had just been taught how to make an omelette. He was standing for several minutes in total shock looking between the eggshells and the omelette he'd just made, brain blowing fuses. He'd never once seen food made in his life. As a kid his mum just fed him sandwiches. Then he moved out and ate in cafes with interludes of prison meals. That's how unprepared some people are for life.  As I recall this scheme of teaching basic life skills really helped lower reoffending rates.  

Just now, RabM said:

A social worker I knew years back (1980?) told me about being at a basic cookery class in Barlinnie Prison Glasgow. One guy who'd been in and out a few times had just been taught how to make an omelette. He was standing for several minutes in total shock looking between the eggshells and the omelette he'd just made, brain blowing fuses. He'd never once seen food made in his life. As a kid his mum just fed him sandwiches. Then he moved out and ate in cafes with interludes of prison meals. That's how unprepared some people are for life.  As I recall this scheme of teaching basic life skills really helped lower reoffending rates.  

Ah. Life skills.

How important they are. And how they are almost a lost art among today's generation.

In the UK, I was home doing the "house husband" job for my partner, who was away at her work. Her teenage grammar school kids turned their noses up at the healthy hearty food I'd cooked. So I told them to cook their own damned food.

A little later the boy 17 or so, comes in to the lounge, holding up a frying pan.

"Is this a frying pan?", he asked.

Seriously  :)