Explain This To Me-Begging Sat On Cold Concrete.

Maybe this is the way I think, but I am interested to hear the perspective of how others see this.

On a cold day I see beggers sat on the cold concrete ground for example. I say to myself, there must be  easier ways to make a few quid. For example, tidying someone's garden, creosoting a fence etc.

When sitting on the ground it has to be colder than walking about, and even walking about in winter is cold. What do others think? What/how  would  you do  in their situation?

18 minutes ago, Janus said:

Maybe this is the way I think, but I am interested to hear the perspective of how others see this.

On a cold day I see beggers sat on the cold concrete ground for example. I say to myself, there must be  easier ways to make a few quid. For example, tidying someone's garden, creosoting a fence etc.

When sitting on the ground it has to be colder than walking about, and even walking about in winter is cold. What do others think? What/how  would  you do  in their situation?

By sitting in the cold perhaps they think you may be more sympathetic towards them and give them money 

23 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

By sitting in the cold perhaps they think you may be more sympathetic towards them and give them money 

A good few years ago I vaguely remember reading a case in the papers where well dressed, well spoken woman was caught begging in London. Her schtick was to say to passers by that her purse had been stolen, and she needed to get back home as her baby sitter was due to leave.

Apparently she had been doing this for months, and had amassed a great deal of money.

What made this stick in my mind was the fact that she lived somewhere like Chelsea or Kensington, and had a husband in a very well paid job. I wished I could remember more of the details, because it was a fascinating, though probably unique case.

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Or they may be mentally ill , Lots of street people are , it is not easy sitting in the cold and rain for days on end .  Every one has a story to tell .

1 hour ago, Janus said:

An interesting question, but I have to ask you what you would do with no money, no support and no address? I think part of the problem is we just can't really imagine ourselves in that situation. We might survive a night or two, but beyond that we would find ourselves in serious trouble and would have to learn how to survive fast. Accessing benefits takes months, jobs impossible to get without an address or sponser. Yes, sitting outdoors on cold hard concrete must be extremely unpleasant, but maybe the rest of their day is spent walking about, either from A to B, or just wandering about trying to keep warm, or going through bins etc.

For those who say 'the help is out there,' I have to say it isn't, not always. Social services and volunteer organisations are stretched to breaking point, shelters get full, and can be dangerous places. Unless help is accessed very quickly, it's easy to fall into despair. The boredom and frustration alone must be very depressing.  

I think we have become a lot less trusting as a nation than we once were. We don't even trust the fact that they are genuinely homeless! (OK there are some scammers out there, but not all.) And it might seem simple to just go door to door and ask for jobs, but would I trust a complete stranger who just came knocking at my door? Especially a scruffy individual.  -Would you?

And street people sometimes struggle with serious mental health problems, their confidence is 0, and their ability to think straight is also negligible. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

We have a family member on our lasses side that we no longer associate with. He is a beggar in Sheffield town centre, him and his girlfriend are both druggies. They are both on benefits and are provided with properties by SCC. (They don’t live together as the benefits system penalises couples who live in the same property). He has had several properties from SCC over the years and I couldn’t venture to guess what he has cost the taxpayer for NHS, police and court time plus the expense of his several prison sentences. So although I sympathise greatly with the genuinely homeless and needy I know for a fact that the quid you are tempted to spare will very often end up in a drug dealers pocket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delayed said:

So it is out there then..

As I said, not always. It's very hit and miss. Services such as they are, are stretched to breaking point and finding it harder to cope. More and more people are falling through the net unable to get any help.

Edited by Anna B