Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know the full story about this, but I can't personally see how adding more obstructions to a 'pedestrianised' area is going to attract moe shoppers?

Don't see the relevance of your question, either, @HeHasRisen?

The OP seems to be suggesting the Council can just let them go in the empty units instead, which clearly is a non starter given they dont own them.

In any case surely anything is worth a go. If it doesnt work, so be it. People so quick to moan...

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

The OP seems to be suggesting the Council can just let them go in the empty units instead, which clearly is a non starter given they dont own them.

In any case surely anything is worth a go. If it doesnt work, so be it. People so quick to moan...

Let who go in the empty units? I still say it is a barmy idea - the few times I have need to go down Fargate, it is like a slalom course when they have 'markets' on there, and in any case shipping containers won't exactly add to the ambience - for me, anyway, but maybe others find them attractive?💩

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Let who go in the empty units? 

Ask the opening poster, he is the one who mentioned them 🤷‍♂️ clearly in his head its relevant in some way.

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Glad to see you covered yourself 

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ask the opening poster, he is the one who mentioned them 🤷‍♂️ clearly in his head its relevant in some way.

The OP mentioned 'empty shops' - I'm just wondering what the containers are for?

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The OP mentioned 'empty shops' - I'm just wondering what the containers are for?

For retailers.  Unfortunately the OP didnt provide much detail but he seems go be suggesting they go in the shops instead. I pointed out it isnt quite as easy as that.  The containers wont be at eye watering rates for starters. The old Thomas Cook unit is currently for rent at £42500pa, now add on the rates....wont be cheap.

Small independents are clearly being attracted, one example...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02QtPtXTwNCDRsCPQN5x1PtZrq5wgXuxQkACudQ8bDjvtAfpHDdTkHso7wJBaw6nbTl&id=100035421476898

Edited by HeHasRisen

Here you go. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/fargate-shipping-containers-budget-increase-as-attraction-approaches-opening-day-in-sheffield-3715706

'Work is currently taking place on the hub of shipping containers outside the Town Hall in the city centre ahead of opening day.

When completed it will feature food vendors, shops, toilets, living walls, outdoor seating and a big screen in an effort to draw more visitors to the area.' 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/look-inside-sheffield-councils-plan-for-city-centre-cafes-shops-and-big-screen-3543268

Well something needs to be done about the High Street & Fargate areas as they are supposed to be the premier retail areas but both have seen better days. 

Edited by Baron99