Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

10 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The council, they own the shops in the city centre and rent them out. Stone The Crow's in Barker's Pool put up a big notice saying they had to close because they couldn't afford the council's rates.

Love Potion . The council dont own the shops 

14 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The council, they own the shops in the city centre and rent them out. Stone The Crow's in Barker's Pool put up a big notice saying they had to close because they couldn't afford the council's rates.

No they don't.

What are council's rates? Business rates are set by central government.

Edited by Bargepole23

6 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Business rates are nothing to do with who owns a building or who a  company pays their lease to.  It's entirely separate.

You really need to wise up on how things work in the world before you embarrass yourself with these uninformed rants.

The council own very little in the city centre. Most of the buildings and premises are owned by private Enterprises which offer them for lease through agents or sell them off to private developers. The council can't force tenants into buildings. They can't suddenly change a buildings use overnight without lengthy legal and public consultations. It's exactly the same in cities across the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

Why can't they do all of this with the empty shops they have? Fargate is difficult enough to navigate with the druggies and the persistent cold calling sales representatives trying to get you to sponser Ernie the dog for £4 a month, blah blah blah. SCC are an absolute joke. PS they need to re-open Leopold street right now. 

My bold. 

Here's me believing, from what I've garnered from a number of other threads you've posted on, that those highlighted in bold are your kind of people, the ones you're always conserned about, the unfortunate in society, the low paid & those working for charities? 

Hmmm?  It's like you're only posting inconsistencies to be argumentative? 

4 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Where have I ever said that druggies & vagabonds are my kind of people? I have said in the past that we have an income support system and numerous charities that offer help for those who are genuinely in need. I have in no post said that they are "(my) kind of people".

The council don't own the shops in the city centre though - do you admit saying that was wrong? 

If you can prove you're correct on that 1 point I will give you 5 pounds (payable by cash, cheque, postal order, bankers draft, shiny beads - definitely not card)

5 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

A sentence needs a full stop at the end. I've fixed that for you.

I'll admit my missing full stop was poorly judged if you admit that your statement about  SCC owning all the shops in the city centre was daft.