Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Well, yes they have slightly repositioned the glaringly inappropriate 'giant flower pots' but they still (a)look wrong and (b) block access.

Some have been move across the road to the opposite corner. There are some still adjacent to the hoardings for the container site. I would say it is the hoarding which is blocking access, and which will be removed in due course.

I find them less obtrusive now they are repositioned.

Just now, Bargepole23 said:

Some have been move across the road to the opposite corner. There are some still adjacent to the hoardings for the container site. I would say it is the hoarding which is blocking access, and which will be removed in due course.

I find them less obtrusive now they are repositioned.

I appreciate they have been repositioned and don't appear to be as obstructive, but I still say they are totally inappropriate for that location - if they were slightly less glaringly coloured, they may work, although I personally still think they are wrong.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I appreciate they have been repositioned and don't appear to be as obstructive, but I still say they are totally inappropriate for that location - if they were slightly less glaringly coloured, they may work, although I personally still think they are wrong.

I am not sure what you mean by inappropriate.

It's a pedestrian shopping street not an area of national historical importance. What has been there previously was nothing more than some concrete and metal fountain usually with a litter filled pond round it.  Since then that location has  had temporary stages, fake alpine chalets, mini Ferris wheels and hundreds of trestle tables hastily set up by whatever rent a gob organisation wants to seize the moment.

We all know deep down that the real reason for the oversized awkwardly placed flower pots is terrorist prevention as it's happening in cities across the globe, and an unfortunate reality of the time we are now living in. If it wasn't those, it would be some glorified concrete barriers, or metal railings or bollards. At least plants are slightly better.  Whilst the bright colour may not be to everyone's taste, at least it brightens up what was a otherwise dull area undergoing redevelopment.

Same with the container park itself, yes it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is trying to bring a bit of footfall back to an area which people have been  moaning was dying off for years. Despite all the protesting and shouting on this forum, the fact remains that companies cannot be forced into empty buildings nor can landlords be forced to give up their premises without good reason and lots of legal red tape.

It really feels some people are willing it to fail.

Despite the cynics, There is a pattern of success with these projects both temporary and permanent in many other cities and I hope that the majority will see it a good addition rather than those simply picking holes and harping on about the past.  It is a great opportunity for small independent businesses to have a place in the city without great expenditure. It is a great opportunity to get people after hours down to that part of town and can bring a bit of life after 5:30.  In conjunction with the increasing numbers of residences in that area and nearby, there is a reason why it shouldn't be your success.

I bet if Leeds were building one and we weren't there would be plenty of reaction from the the complainers......  Council can't seem to win.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1