Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am not sure what you mean by inappropriate.

It's a pedestrian shopping street not an area of national historical importance. What has been there previously was nothing more than some concrete and metal fountain usually with a litter filled pond round it.  Since then that location has  had temporary stages, fake alpine chalets, mini Ferris wheels and hundreds of trestle tables hastily set up by whatever rent a gob organisation wants to seize the moment.

We all know deep down that the real reason for the oversized awkwardly placed flower pots is terrorist prevention as it's happening in cities across the globe, and an unfortunate reality of the time we are now living in. If it wasn't those, it would be some glorified concrete barriers, or metal railings or bollards. At least plants are slightly better.  Whilst the bright colour may not be to everyone's taste, at least it brightens up what was a otherwise dull area undergoing redevelopment.

Same with the container park itself, yes it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is trying to bring a bit of footfall back to an area which people have been  moaning was dying off for years. Despite all the protesting and shouting on this forum, the fact remains that companies cannot be forced into empty buildings nor can landlords be forced to give up their premises without good reason and lots of legal red tape.

It really feels some people are willing it to fail.

Despite the cynics, There is a pattern of success with these projects both temporary and permanent in many other cities and I hope that the majority will see it a good addition rather than those simply picking holes and harping on about the past.  It is a great opportunity for small independent businesses to have a place in the city without great expenditure. It is a great opportunity to get people after hours down to that part of town and can bring a bit of life after 5:30.  In conjunction with the increasing numbers of residences in that area and nearby, there is a reason why it shouldn't be your success.

I bet if Leeds were building one and we weren't there would be plenty of reaction from the the complainers......  Council can't seem to win.

Hmmm... :huh:

Some valid points, but...

If Leeds started stacking a few shipping containers on top of each other in June...

... I think it's highly unlikely that they'd still not be finished in October! :hihi:

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am not sure what you mean by inappropriate.

It's a pedestrian shopping street not an area of national historical importance. What has been there previously was nothing more than some concrete and metal fountain usually with a litter filled pond round it.  Since then that location has  had temporary stages, fake alpine chalets, mini Ferris wheels and hundreds of trestle tables hastily set up by whatever rent a gob organisation wants to seize the moment. (#1)

We all know deep down that the real reason for the oversized awkwardly placed flower pots is terrorist prevention as it's happening in cities across the globe, and an unfortunate reality of the time we are now living in. If it wasn't those, it would be some glorified concrete barriers, or metal railings or bollards. At least plants are slightly better.  Whilst the bright colour may not be to everyone's taste, at least it brightens up what was a otherwise dull area undergoing redevelopment. (#2)

Same with the container park itself, yes it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is trying to bring a bit of footfall back to an area which people have been  moaning was dying off for years. Despite all the protesting and shouting on this forum, the fact remains that companies cannot be forced into empty buildings nor can landlords be forced to give up their premises without good reason and lots of legal red tape.(#3)

It really feels some people are willing to fail.

Despite the cynics, There is a pattern of success with these projects both temporary and permanent in many other cities and I hope that the majority will see is a good addition rather than those simply picking holes and harping on about the past.  It is a great opportunity for small independent businesses to have a place in the city without great expenditure. It is a great opportunity to get people after hours down to that part of town and can bring a bit of life after 5:30.  In conjunction with the increasing numbers of residences in that area and nearby, there is a reason why it shouldn't be your success.(#4)

I bet if Leeds were building one and we weren't there would be plenty of reaction from the the complainers......  Council can't seem to win. (#5)

Sorry, my personal opinion is that for their size, using such garish colours make look like some unfinished studio for a kids TV programme.

(#1)  I'm aware of what it is, and what was there originally, and has been since - I don't need reminding. I also suspect the 'plant-pots' will end up rather like the fountain - providing some pea-brained types don't decide to try smash them first.

(#2) Strange how all the other  towns/cities I have visited this year - and there have been a number - don't seem to have random lumps of concrete in their main shopping areas - in fact the only obvious 'anti-terrorist' obstructions I noticed were those around York Minster, and to be honeat, they did have another function - as seating.How high is the 'terrorist threat' these days?

(#3) Can't see much to argue about with this, so I'll pass.

(#4) Again, no real argument, but it doesn't have that effect on me.

(#5) Probably, but I wouldn't be amongst them.

9 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I keep seeing this labelled as a waste of money but I tell you what, it's given you lot something to talk about for the last few months, eh?! 😄

I've not said it is a waste of money, but its location has left me a tad perplexed.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some people on here likely to explode if they are successful.  

I hope they are, in a way, but see above.

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some people on here likely to explode if they are successful.  

Well I'd say they've already been a great success...

... in highlighting to the few of us who were maybe still unaware, just how incompetent SCC can be! :roll:

Let's just hope the containers and plant pots stay there as a permanent reminder to everyone! :hihi:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Well I'd say they've already been a great success...

... in highlighting to the few of us who were maybe still unaware, just how incompetent SCC can be! :roll:

Let's just hope the containers and plant pots stay there as a permanent reminder to everyone! :hihi:

Where is exactly is the incompetence here???

They are bringing a project to try to restore some life to an area which is obviously slowing down.

They are bringing a project which will bring an opportunity to small businesses into a part of town they would usually be out priced from.

Yes the project got delayed because of an intervention from Yorkshire Water but so what?  It hardly some great scandal. Projects get changed or delayed or adjusted all the time.  How do you know all the fault is on the council?   I don't think you have a clue as to the layers of people involved in such development.

Yes they installed some plant pot barriers which some people find distasteful. But so what? the council is never going to be able to be pleasing every single person all the time are they?

Like I said, some people just willing it to fail. Just looking for lame excuses to have a moan. Just load of old farts who seemingly cant embrace changes and want everything back the way it used to be.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@ECCOnoob- was my reply to your previous post a moan - sorry if it came across that way?

Not necessarily you personally.   But the fact this very thread is 34 pages long with a good majority of it being negative about a development that hasn't even opened yet sort of proves what I'm getting at.

Can't we all at least agree to disagree with arguments over personal taste on aesthetics and let the thing actually open before we all start jumping in on how successful, necessary or worthy it is.  

Edited by ECCOnoob