Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Flea markets. Come on now. Tatty as anything.

Things like that best left in the past, or if needs must, away from the main shopping streets.

Lots of people enjoy them and travel to Chesterfield on a Thursday to look for things that take their interest.

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Lots of people enjoy them and travel to Chesterfield on a Thursday to look for things that take their interest.

That doesnt change the fact they are tatty. Not hard to wonder why a local authority may not want to plonk them on main shopping streets,.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

That doesnt change the fact they are tatty. Not hard to wonder why a local authority may not want to plonk them on main shopping streets,.

We have beggars on our streets, buildings covered in graffiti, empty shops  and you talk about a market being tatty.

Maybe tatty to you but attractive to many people.

Visit Chesterfield open market tomorrow and see how well attended it is.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

We have beggars on our streets, buildings covered in graffiti, empty shops  and you talk about a market being tatty.

Just like every other large urban area then.

Does Manchester have a flea market on one of its main shopping streets? How about Leeds?

Nottingham?

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Just like every other large urban area then.

Does Manchester have a flea market on one of its main shopping streets? How about Leeds?

Nottingham?

Does it make it right that our town centre and other areas have got into this state and is accepted as the norm.?    No it does not !

I do not know about the cities you mention but I do know about a neighbouring town Chesterfield and can see for myself how popular it is and attracts visitors from other towns who spend in the shops and cafes in the area as a result of the market.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Does it make it right that our town centre and other areas have got into this state and is accepted as the norm.?    No it does not !

Yes, its perfectly right that a major city doesnt have a tatty flea market cluttering up a major shopping street.

Key work in bold for you, there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I suggest you look harder, I put one word in bold.

I dont want the "norm" to include bloody flea markets 🤣

Urban areas have homeless people. As a result of the pandemic urban areas now have more empty shops than before. If you can think of ways to solve this nationally, go ahead and contact the government. I suspect "flea markets" arent the answer.

Edited by HeHasRisen

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I suggest you look harder, I put one word in bold.

I dont want the "norm" to include bloody flea markets 🤣

Urban areas have homeless people. As a result of the pandemic urban areas now have more empty shops than before. If you can think of ways to solve this nationally, go ahead and contact the government. I suspect "flea markets" arent the answer.

Flea markets will not solve the answer of run down cities but they will encourage people to visit and spend money in existing shops whilst in the area.

Obviously you are not a fan of the idea but many people are as is proved by them travelling to a neighbouring town to shop in them.

It  may have been worthwhile to have a Sheffield flea market trial alongside the shipping containers idea and see which was  the more widely used, and appreciated.