Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

57 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Has anyone been sacked for wasting our money on this idea?

Politicians take the decisions on these things, you get to vote for them every couple of years.

See if you can find any candidates who promise not to spend any public money on anything that anyone at all might regard as a waste of money. And see if they will promise that none of the projects they approve will overspend.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Politicians take the decisions on these things, you get to vote for them every couple of years.

See if you can find any candidates who promise not to spend any public money on anything that anyone at all might regard as a waste of money. And see if they will promise that none of the projects they approve will overspend.

Good luck.

Going off the views on this forum, all they would need to do is bring back flea markets, allow free parking outside the Lyceum, and reconstruct the Hole In The Road, and everything will be hunky dory again.

Hold on to yer ration books, folks!

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Going off the views on this forum, all they would need to do is bring back flea markets, allow free parking outside the Lyceum, and reconstruct the Hole In The Road, and everything will be hunky dory again.

You have forgotten the public toilets and removing the plant pots blocking roads !

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Good luck.

Sadly, in this City, the chance of the power base moving is zero - and where have we seen these 'politicians' come and apologize for the obvious almighty foul-up this individual project has been?

As, as you regularly claim, they make these decisions based on their officers recommendations, which officers, if any, have been - at least  - reprimanded for their incompetence? Two points of interest - (1) why was the power supply issue not investigated during initial planning (2) why was the utility issue not noticed during initial planning? - although a very weak excuse for that has already been floated.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I realise I am repeating myself but flea markets are popular and we had them in Sheffield years ago ,.Think they were called Setts market.

Very popular so why were they discontinued ?

Surely a suitable location could be found.

If they are classed as tatty the containers are an eyesore in an unsuitable location.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I realise I am repeating myself but flea markets are popular and we had them in Sheffield years ago ,.Think they were called Setts market.

Very popular so why were they discontinued ?

Because its not 1953 anymore?

Our opinions on flea markets obviously differ but lets be honest: local authorities in major cities are not going to look at bringing them in.

Edited by HeHasRisen

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sadly, in this City, the chance of the power base moving is zero - and where have we seen these 'politicians' come and apologize for the obvious almighty foul-up this individual project has been?

As, as you regularly claim, they make these decisions based on their officers recommendations, which officers, if any, have been - at least  - reprimanded for their incompetence? Two points of interest - (1) why was the power supply issue not investigated during initial planning (2) why was the utility issue not noticed during initial planning? - although a very weak excuse for that has already been floated.

Well, we’ve had the Lib Dem’s in power a couple of times in recent years and the current administration is  Labour / Green coalition, so you’ve had all the political parties who have elected Members in power ( there are no Tory councillors). So, your theory on lack of potential for power shift is demonstrably incorrect.

You’re very quick to judge, on the basis of very little actual knowledge. I haven’t seen anything like enough information to give me a view on whether there has been any incompetence on the part of officers. We can see from reports that SCC internal audit are looking into the project, so that review should show whether proper process and procedure has been followed.

As others have mentioned, sometimes, irrespective of officer advice, councillors take a decision that something should be done and officers just have to make the best job of it they can. I don’t know whether this is such a case and I don’t think you know either.

I don’t know many of the details other than it was said to be a design, build and operate project, which was done by a private company. Neither do I know how the contract was let and who was responsible for what. I don’t know what the issue was with the electricity supply other than they ended up using a generator. I saw it said earlier that it was not normal practice to carry out utilities searches for a temporary structure. 

I certainly don’t feel I’m in a position to take an informed view, so I’m not at all sure how you think you can.