Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

38 minutes ago, Resident said:

People have little faith in their own internal investigations. It's like asking Ian Huntley to investigate the Soham murders. 

Why not alleviate the population's fears and invite an outside audit, no stone unturned? 

My experience of SCC internal audit is that they are independent and thorough.

Alleviate the population’s fears? I think a little proportionality is perhaps needed. SCC spend circa £1.5 billion a year. On that scale, the overspend is relatively modest and is well within the wider scheme’s budget. We’re told the wider Fargate regeneration scheme is still expected to hit its targets and outputs.

Unless the internal review uncovers any wrongdoing, I wouldn’t see any need for external audit. 

Lots of construction projects overspend. It’s a fact of life in that field. You don’t send for external audit every time there’s an overspend.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Alleviate the population’s fears? I think a little proportionality is perhaps needed. SCC spend circa £1.5 billion a year. On that scale, the overspend is relatively modest and is well within the wider scheme’s budget. We’re told the wider Fargate regeneration scheme is still expected to hit its targets and outputs.

Unless the internal review uncovers any wrongdoing, I wouldn’t see any need for external audit. 

Lots of construction projects overspend. It’s a fact of life in that field. You don’t send for external audit every time there’s an overspend.

You would say that - you worked for them at the time, and now work elsewhere in the same field, therefore with the same mind-set.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Was fine until they started actually building them 🤣

I still maintain done properly it would have gone a whole lot better 

I am sure the council/planners will have thought it was a new, different, exciting idea for Sheffield.

Unfortunately it appears not to have been given enough investigation before implementation.

1 hour ago, ukdobby said:

Is she still in charge on oodles of cash?

Yes , her wages for ........

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Thats ok then :rolleyes: . What are the Fargate regeneration schemes targets and outputs ?

13 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Yes , her wages for ........

Thats ok then :rolleyes: . What are the Fargate regeneration schemes targets and outputs ?

https://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/content/articles/regeneration-of-fargate-and-high-street/

The "Front Door" scheme seems like a good idea, and in fact has already started.

I also like the Grey to Grey schemes rolled out in other parts of the city. 

Edited by Bargepole23
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Well, we’ve had the Lib Dem’s in power a couple of times in recent years and the current administration is  Labour / Green coalition, so you’ve had all the political parties who have elected Members in power ( there are no Tory councillors). So, your theory on lack of potential for power shift is demonstrably incorrect.

You’re very quick to judge, on the basis of very little actual knowledge. I haven’t seen anything like enough information to give me a view on whether there has been any incompetence on the part of officers. We can see from reports that SCC internal audit are looking into the project, so that review should show whether proper process and procedure has been followed.

As others have mentioned, sometimes, irrespective of officer advice, councillors take a decision that something should be done and officers just have to make the best job of it they can. I don’t know whether this is such a case and I don’t think you know either.

I don’t know many of the details other than it was said to be a design, build and operate project, which was done by a private company. Neither do I know how the contract was let and who was responsible for what. I don’t know what the issue was with the electricity supply other than they ended up using a generator. I saw it said earlier that it was not normal practice to carry out utilities searches for a temporary structure. 

I certainly don’t feel I’m in a position to take an informed view, so I’m not at all sure how you think you can.

For someone who doesnt work for the council you revealed that last Friday even though it was only announced yesterday..............

• Like 1