Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

The original costs of this project (£300,000 later increased to £446,000) were met from central government funding via the "Get Britain Building" fund. Has it been stated whether the latest costs will also be met by central government or will the council have to make up the difference? (I know it all comes out of our taxes in one way or another, but local council funds seem to be particularly squeezed at the moment.)

On 17/02/2023 at 14:55, E-Man Groovin said:

Abbeydale and Eccleshall Roads for example. Current status: not broke; indeed thriving.

I'm not sure - go and look at the empty shops - particularly on Ecclesall road - something has clearly been going wrong for years.

business rates?

online shopping?

1 hour ago, northernboy said:

The original costs of this project (£300,000 later increased to £446,000) were met from central government funding via the "Get Britain Building" fund. Has it been stated whether the latest costs will also be met by central government or will the council have to make up the difference? (I know it all comes out of our taxes in one way or another, but local council funds seem to be particularly squeezed at the moment.)

I believe the containers were part of the £15.8m Future High Streets funding the council have received from government for the wider regeneration work on Fargate, so cost increases will come out of that as far as I’m aware.

• Like 1

Just now, Planner1 said:

I believe the containers were part of the £15.8m Future High Streets funding the council have received from government for the wider regeneration work on Fargate, so cost increases will come out of that as far as I’m aware.

And reduce even further the amount of finance available for the wider project which, hopefully, will (or would) have a more lasting benefit.

20 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Is that the same £15.8 M that is already allocated to the work on Fargate which has spiralled out from 8M to £18M?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The contractors have unilaterally increased their bill.

Then maybe, just maybe, the council should have ensured that such a massive increase should have been subject to renegotiation - seems strange that such a clause was not included in the contract - it would be, in any sensibly negotiated one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And reduce even further the amount of finance available for the wider project which, hopefully, will (or would) have a more lasting benefit.

Yes of course, but over the development of a large project it isn’t unusual for the actual content of the scheme to change as the understanding of costs and deliverability grows through the design process. 

• Haha 1