Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why change the paving - it is not that long ago (relatively speaking) that it was repaved anyway?

because a lot of the slabs are broken, and a lot of people (particularly those with mobility issues) really don't like the uneven 'setts'...

and, also, in parallel, the regen plans include more trees, planting, power and utilities for the markets / events. There will be a lot of digging - it would be difficult to install the new facilities, without digging up a lot of the existing surface - which is looking a bit tired.

Edited by ads36

Just now, Meltman said:

A 40ft  shipping container weights about 3.8 tonnes and rest on 4 pads in the corners (I think!). Multiply by the number of containers, some stacked on top of other and the point contact load should be calculated. 

Wonder if they did this when planning the project ?

7 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I do understand what you are saying and also understand that there can always be unexpected 'problems ' in any construction job however big or small. What is annoying me is the excuses put forward. I know I keep going on about the sewer but it was a massive construction, great cost, great publicity, lots of disruption  and a great outcome to hope to prevent flooding and pollution into the rivers. What I find poor is the fact that no one involved in the container project didn't know about it. I also realised that as a temporary structure there is no requirement to carry out statutory undertaking to the utilities...but there is also no requirement to not ask the utilities. I'm amazed that no one sat round the table when this was being planned didn't know about the sewer or couldn't be bothered to make a couple of phone calls/e mails 

You’ve basically got an unreasonable expectation.

How many years ago was that sewer put in? 20 or more?

Some people working for the council weren’t even born then. Employees and managers  come and go. It isn’t reasonable to expect there to be someone on a project team that knows and remembers everything that may have gone into the ground at some point or other.

Designers follow a process, there will be a checklist. If it’s a temporary structure, they don’t need to make enquiries about buried utilities. That’s the standard process which is clearly fine for the vast majority of cases. Sadly this was an exception. 

It isn’t a case of making a call or sending an email. There’s a formal process to making enquiries with utilities about where their plant is located. It takes time, there is a cost.

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The containers were only temporary and hopefully easily moved in an emergency.

So they should be easily (and cheaply) removed when not wanted. From what I know it's a case of disconnecting the services and getting a suitable lorry with hyab crane to pick them up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You’ve basically got an unreasonable expectation.

How many years ago was that sewer put in? 20 or more?

Some people working for the council weren’t even born then. Employees and managers  come and go. It isn’t reasonable to expect there to be someone on a project team that knows and remembers everything that may have gone into the ground at some point or other.

Designers follow a process, there will be a checklist. If it’s a temporary structure, they don’t need to make enquiries about buried utilities. That’s the standard process which is clearly fine for the vast majority of cases. Sadly this was an exception. 

It isn’t a case of making a call or sending an email. There’s a formal process to making enquiries with utilities about where their plant is located. It takes time, there is a cost.

Surely the council hold plans detailing where the main city sewers are.

• Like 1

Just now, harvey19 said:

Surely the council hold plans detailing where the main city sewers are.

No they don’t. It is not their responsibility to keep those records. The sewers and other buried plant belong to others and it’s their responsibility to keep records.

8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

because a lot of the slabs are broken, and a lot of people (particularly those with mobility issues) really don't like the uneven 'setts'...

and, also, in parallel, the regen plans include more trees, planting, power and utilities for the markets / events. There will be a lot of digging - it would be difficult to install the new facilities, without digging up a lot of the existing surface - which is looking a bit tired.

Fair enough. I'll have a wander down there tomorrow while I'm close by on business.