Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

1 hour ago, sheflad said:

Why is everyone so against this? Newcastle had something similar called the Stack bang in the city Center which had street food places and bars in it with walkways around and a stage for live bands to play on which was a cracking venue and for an outdoor venue quite well covered. Why can’t we just wait and see what it’s like before writing it off.

We will see but Sheffield annual food market that's held right there has been spiralling downwards in interest over last few year. 

Putting containers is not going to make people suddenly want food again.

Places like Netherlands used containers because there is an enormous shortage of space and real estate, it is a completely different issue.

Here they think it is something artistic or creative.

Picasso had his own style or opinions, don't think Sheffield council knows what it is doing.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

So "trying nothing" would have been your preferred option then @dutch?

Sheffield city centre skyline is full high risers. Its main streets have many boarded up areas and closed shops.

"Trying too hard" can create more problems that could have been solved in simpler ways. 

Creating a large massive area with lots of colourful flowers on fargate will attract more shoppers and business than some containers.

Being creative can have beautiful results, and does not need this hopeless effort of throwing some containers on fargate.

It makes me laugh cause they thought it would be a cheap thing to do but (I have not seen the actual figures) will certainly cost loads more than they budgeted for.

Edited by dutch

57 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some flowers will attract businesses?

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion I suppose.

Rejuvenated public realm on Fargate and High St is already happening, using the £15 million SCC have secured from the government’s Future High Streets fund. See this article.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

Sheffield city centre skyline is full high risers. Its main streets have many boarded up areas and closed shops.

"Trying too hard" can create more problems that could have been solved in simpler ways. 

Creating a large massive area with lots of colourful flowers on fargate will attract more shoppers and business than some containers.

Being creative can have beautiful results, and does not need this hopeless effort of throwing some containers on fargate.

It makes me laugh cause they thought it would be a cheap thing to do but (I have not seen the actual figures) will certainly cost loads more than they budgeted for.

"I have no evidence, no intention of looking for it, but I'll make something up for effect anyway"

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some flowers will attract businesses?

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion I suppose.

Colourful flowers. I am at fargate right now and it's all a grey running down area. 

Of course people like you do not understand this. 

3 minutes ago, dutch said:

Colourful flowers. I am at fargate right now and it's all a grey running down area. 

Of course people like you do not understand this. 

Ok so sod the rent, sod the rates, oh and sod the changes in shopping habits accelerated by Covid, a few flowers is all that is needed? 

It would achieve very little.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ok so sod the rent, sod the rates, a few flowers is all that is needed? 

It would achieve very little.

It would achieve little with trolls like yourself. You would need to lighten up first a bit and open your eyes in a way that appreciated life instead of some metal containers. It's your choice I'm not surprised.