Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

Really good of The Star to post their article on Twitter/Facebook with a vague and therefore slightly misleading header that gives the impression that it's being ripped up tomorrow, instead of several months time as is the case. I've already seen some comments from people basically saying, 'well I won't bother going to see it now then', so they're basically costing the tenants and council business.

It's been a complete mess of an installation by the council, and that itself will have damaged peoples view of it from the off, so the council deserve criticism for that, but it's open now and the tenants deserve to be given a chance. Having the local 'newspaper' sending out the message that it's closed before it's even got started is hardly helpful.

The Star this morning also pedalling the 'everyone will be getting charged in the Sheffield CAZ scheme' myth via vague & misleading clickbait on their social media. Pretty shameful, really.

6 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Really good of The Star to post their article on Twitter/Facebook with a vague and therefore slightly misleading header that gives the impression that it's being ripped up tomorrow, instead of several months time as is the case. I've already seen some comments from people basically saying, 'well I won't bother going to see it now then', so they're basically costing the tenants and council business.

It's been a complete mess of an installation by the council, and that itself will have damaged peoples view of it from the off, so the council deserve criticism for that, but it's open now and the tenants deserve to be given a chance. Having the local 'newspaper' sending out the message that it's closed before it's even got started is hardly helpful.

The Star this morning also pedalling the 'everyone will be getting charged in the Sheffield CAZ scheme' myth via vague & misleading clickbait on their social media. Pretty shameful, really.

Keep on fighting the good fight 

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Keep on fighting the good fight 

I just think it's a bit of shame now that it's open that in the face of council ineptitude and the local rag worrying more about clicks than anything else that you've got some businesses down there who are at least giving it a go suffering because of mixed messages and bad PR.

Just a bit of positivity!

I've never worked for the council, the Star, or any of the vendors in the container park, but the relentless desire for failure that you see on this forum and elsewhere can grate after a while.

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I just think it's a bit of shame now that it's open that in the face of council ineptitude and the local rag worrying more about clicks than anything else that you've got some businesses down there who are at least giving it a go suffering because of mixed messages and bad PR.

I've never worked for the council, the Star, or any of the vendors in the container park, but the relentless desire for failure that you see on this forum and elsewhere can grate after a while.

Hmmm... :huh:

I think it's a bit silly to suggest that anyone wants these things to fail.

It's just that a lot of us have realised that if SCC have had a hand in the planning and management of a project then it's usually only a matter of time before something goes amiss...

... and none of us can do anything about it, so we just have to giggle at their incompetence! :roll:

What I can't understand is WHY these businesses have got involved with this AT ALL!

At best, it could only ever be a short-term plan (with presumably short-term leases?).

Yep, I understand it's probably cheap(?) and you get lots of people passing by...
... but where's the long term business planning essential in any start-up business?

Let's assume your business is the bee's-knees, and people are queueing up to buy whatever it is you're selling.

What happens when SCC decide that they want to move your 'business premises' to the back of beyond?

Are your customers going to follow you, or do you have to start all over again building up your customer base?

Obviously if you're a known 'name' then that will help customers follow you to wherever, but for a new 'unknown' business I'm not too sure.

And if you don't see moving your business about as a problem and it's nothing to worry about...
... then you'd probably be better off investing in 'mobile' premises and then you can locate your business to wherever YOU decide, and NOT be moved to a location where someone at SCC has decided on a whim that you should be trading from! :|

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Obviously if you're a known 'name' then that will help customers follow you to wherever, but for a new 'unknown' business I'm not too sure.

And if you don't see moving your business about as a problem and it's nothing to worry about...
... then you'd probably be better off investing in 'mobile' premises and then you can locate your business to wherever YOU decide, and NOT be moved to a location where someone at SCC has decided on a whim that you should be trading from! :|

I agree with all of your points except the one above. 

Surely if you are a known name you will have built that name and have a good customer base where you are. Unless you are under notice to quit I can see no advantage in moving to a temporary property in a fairly dead part of town. 

Then what when they close or move?  

I don't see a forward business argument for this. 

48 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I agree with all of your points except the one above. 

Surely if you are a known name you will have built that name and have a good customer base where you are. Unless you are under notice to quit I can see no advantage in moving to a temporary property in a fairly dead part of town. 

Then what when they close or move?  

I don't see a forward business argument for this. 

Hmmm... :huh:

Yep... that's a good point!

I thought it was originally intended just to help new businesses...

... but from reading some posts on here, I got the impression that some of the businesses are already 'well known' names, and it was just me that hadn't heard of them! :)

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Shipping containers in the most prestigious position in Sheffield is a bloody disgrace , It is a scheme dreamed up by the luvvies down Kelham  and then taken up by so called Town Planners at the Town hall .

The  Square  or  High Street vista  that they stand on has been  ruined , It is a area where  Street activity has taken place at various times through out the years , The Continental  Markets , The big wheel and so on 

How any can actually believe that putting tin sheds on that spot is some how a good idea is beyond belief .

17 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Shipping containers in the most prestigious position in Sheffield is a bloody disgrace , It is a scheme dreamed up by the luvvies down Kelham  and then taken up by so called Town Planners at the Town hall .

The  Square  or  High Street vista  that they stand on has been  ruined , It is a area where  Street activity has taken place at various times through out the years , The Continental  Markets , The big wheel and so on 

How any can actually believe that putting tin sheds on that spot is some how a good idea is beyond belief .

Our council believe its a good idea  😂😂😂