Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

53 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I read the council had spent £5.5 million on the containers and the government £15 million !

Where did you read that? The figure I’ve seen in a few places is £446,000, paid for by government grants.

Edit to add-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffields-fargate-shipping-container-park-25291528.amp

https://www.pentalvercontainerconversions.com/blog/sheffield-shipping-container-market-set-up/

Edited by nikki-red

50 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Indeed, its a grant. A grant based on a proposal to do the containers.

They wouldnt have got any money had they bought prime retail estate in Sheffield (I dread to think how much it would cost to BUY a unit, rents arent cheap) , thats even assuming the likes of Scottish Widows and the other major retail property owners are even selling any currently. And it would have cost more than £446k.

12 minutes ago, prince al said:

Ahhh..I must be mistaken. I imagined a process called compulsory purchase, never mind……..

A procedure during which the market value would have to be paid, plus compensation.

What do you think the market value (plus compo) is of, say, a 2000 square foot unit on Fargate? Where does the money come from for this? 

Is there any example you can cite of a local authority using the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965 in order to buy up shops on its high streets?

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A procedure during which the market value would have to be paid.

What do you think the market value is of, say, a 2000 square foot unit on Fargate? Where does the money come from for this? 

I have an idea but I'll not mention it but you may have an idea what it is.

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A procedure during which the market value would have to be paid, plus compensation.

What do you think the market value (plus compo) is of, say, a 2000 square foot unit on Fargate? Where does the money come from for this? 

Is there any example you can cite of a local authority using the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965 in order to buy up shops on its high streets?

Why not think out of the box? Just because it hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Be the first!

The containers are inappropriate in that particular setting.

Edited by prince al

3 minutes ago, prince al said:

Why not think out of the box? Just because it hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Be the first!

Imagine if they had spent, say, five million to compulsory purchase a shop on Fargate and then rent it out ffs, people on here would be having absolute kittens.

Why have you now edited the post I quoted to say something totally different?

Edited by HeHasRisen