Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

Local media really doesnt want to give anything a chance, does it? All I have seen recently are articles of doom, gloom, waah waah waah a pint costs a fiver, waah waah waah the market was shut 2 hours after its published closing time.

Its a bit pathetic really. Yes we all know the back story is a farce.

As for the bar upstairs, if anyone read the article it sounds like its the fault of the operator (i.e. the company running the bar)

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Local media really doesnt want to give anything a chance, does it? All I have seen recently are articles of doom, gloom, waah waah waah a pint costs a fiver, waah waah waah the market was shut 2 hours after its published closing time.

As for the bar upstairs, if anyone read the article it sounds like its the fault of the operator (i.e. the company running the bar)

Probably fed up at being wazzed about since June 

On 30/11/2022 at 13:57, HeHasRisen said:

Is it any wonder? 

It was meant to open in mid-July. It partially opened (missing vendors) mid October, 3 months LATE. Architects of the project didn't consult all utilities meaning the half constructed units had to be moved when one of the utilities stated that it would collapse vital infrastructure.

£150,000 OVER budget, on an original budget of £300,000. 

It's not the back story that's a farce, it's the whole implementation.  Poorly planned, shambolic execution and the taxpayer left picking up the tab. If SCC was a private company their incompetance would have seen them all fired. Yet the morons of Sheffield keep them in the job. 

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Is it any wonder? 

It was meant to open in mid-July. It partially opened (missing vendors) mid October, 3 months LATE. Architects of the project didn't consult all utilities meaning the half constructed units had to be moved when one of the utilities stated that it would collapse vital infrastructure.

It's not the back story that's a farce, it's the whole implementation.  Poorly planned, shambolic execution and the taxpayer left picking up the tab. If SCC was a private company their incompetance would have seen them all fired. Yet the morons of Sheffield keep them in the job. 

My point was about anything in Sheffield as a whole being slagged off by local media, all I have seen about the Xmas Market (not the containers) is moan moan moan, all because you cant get a pint of Stones for £1.50 etc.

i vote for pints of beer at £1.50 a pint ,the bankers draught do some great real ales at £2 a pint ,like farmers blonde ect,but the main thing is yes lets try these container outlets but let private suppliers bring them in and pay scc to do it and any losses are theres,also put the xmas market and funfair to tender every few years,same with lots of events bring in big cash not waste it i say.but you are right some folk object that the council gift small amounts like our childrens xmas partys £200 to help the not so well off kids enjoy xmas event,not all children/familys can afford to go to huge events on ice ect.

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Is it any wonder? 

My bold. 

Well let's see Chief Executive Kate Josephs or council leader, Terry Fox, (he's quite these days), explain how the £150,000 overspend is going to be found & out of which SCC departmental budget its going to come from?  Or as usual do they think we'll forget about this £150,000 when they're banging on about being hard up again & services have to be cut?

No doubt, as you state, it'll be the council tax payers picking up the deficit AGAIN. 

Edited by Baron99

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I thought the entire funding for it came from a Government grant? Sure its been mentioned numerous times.

It has.  It was well publicised when the Yorkshire Water issue first came out that the grant was extended.  It has also been well publicised numerous times that regeneration of entire fargate is being heavily funded by 15m + government grants to redevelop high streets.  Grants which I'm sure the same doom mongers would be whining about if the council didn't take them up

But as we know, some people don't bother letting facts get in the way of a good anti-council rant.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1