Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

How can SCC & its Officers get this so wrong when they have a successful blueprint just down the road in the much larger 'Steel Yard' at Kelham Island?   

Listening to the report on Radio Sheffield earlier this afternoon, it's been a total shambles that has been allowed to continue, even after the shambles were accepted.  

A FIXED TERM contract signed by SCC, to have a generator supplied to power the project, yet as confirmed by one of SCC's Officers, only for the costs to double before the contract apparently expired.  What?  No legal team at SCC? 

A diesel generator running 24 hours a day to keep the units ticking over.   Clean Air Zone anyone?  This wasn't even touched upon by one of the Green councillors interviewed. 

And why is a generator required? Because nobody at SCC / Northern Power have actually spoken to each other about work undertaken 2 years ago when NP actually removed a major electricity cable from the top end of Fargate.  (I seem to remember mentioning about SCC & its departments not actually consulting the utility firms a few posts back.  Thanks for confirming SCC.).   

What else does the report reveal?  SCC is still paying for electricity from a non-existent cable.  We'll now that's be established, let's hope SCC are now chasing NP for a rebate. 

As for the upstairs bar.  Apparently forget it.  Those interested might get to drink in it when the containers are relocated to their next site at the side of Midland Station.   And as for the tv screen showing football but not showing England playing.  Apparently that had something to do with licensing rules which nobody thought about sorting out...Hmmm?

The funniest quote I heard, clearly from the early days of the project, (no idea who said it but it sounded like a SCC councillor bigging the project up),  "This is going to make Sheffield city centre one of the best in county."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fredderick said:

People need to ask linked questions about (I) the relationship between the developer of the containers - Mr McGrail -and cabinet member for business (and responsible for the deal that started all this) Mazar Iqbal.  And ii) the process by which the developer was appointed. Any normal process where there could be a number of possible operators (like those doing it successfully in other cities for example) is advertised and run as a competitive process? Can anyone tell me if there was a competitive process for this? And if not, why not?

A lot of us can guess the answers. 

don’t believe me? Ask the questions of Council and let them prove otherwise! if there was a competitive process that the developer won fair and square I will hold my hands up and apologise for getting it horribly wrong. Maybe they could provide a link to the advert  / tender docs or tell us how many bids they evaluated. I don’t believe they can. 

If I read correctly , the Star said the council had interest from 1 operator and as the budget was under 5 million they didnt need to put it out to tender 

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

How can SCC & its Officers get this so wrong when they have a successful blueprint just down the road in the much larger 'Steel Yard' at Kelham Island?   

Listening to the report on Radio Sheffield earlier this afternoon, it's been a total shambles that has been allowed to continue, even after the shambles were accepted.  

A FIXED TERM contract signed by SCC, to have a generator supplied to power the project, yet as confirmed by one of SCC's Officers, only for the costs to double before the contract apparently expired.  What?  No legal team at SCC? 

A diesel generator running 24 hours a day to keep the units ticking over.   Clean Air Zone anyone?  This wasn't even touched upon by one of the Green councillors interviewed. 

And why is a generator required? Because nobody at SCC / Northern Power have actually spoken to each other about work undertaken 2 years ago when NP actually removed a major electricity cable from the top end of Fargate.  (I seem to remember mentioning about SCC & its departments not actually consulting the utility firms a few posts back.  Thanks for confirming SCC.).   

What else does the report reveal?  SCC is still paying for electricity from a non-existent cable.  We'll now that's be established, let's hope SCC are now chasing NP for a rebate. 

As for the upstairs bar.  Apparently forget it.  Those interested might get to drink in it when the containers are relocated to their next site at the side of Midland Station.   And as for the tv screen showing football but not showing England playing.  Apparently that had something to do with licensing rules which nobody thought about sorting out...Hmmm?

The funniest quote I heard, clearly from the early days of the project, (no idea who said it but it sounded like a SCC councillor bigging the project up),  "This is going to make Sheffield city centre one of the best in county."

Reight laugh  int it :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, SFBeca said:

The city centre was pretty busy Thursday night... walked past the containers and I felt sorry for the businesses in there, it was dead.  Surely this isn't what they envisioned or were promised. 

They were promised it in the summer . I wonder if there could be a claim from them for loss of business 

4 minutes ago, SFBeca said:

The city centre was pretty busy Thursday night... walked past the containers and I felt sorry for the businesses in there, it was dead.  Surely this isn't what they envisioned or were promised. 

@SFBecaas  has been pointed out often in this topic, this is/was a poorly thought-out and badly executed operation, with the results we now see.