Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No no no no you can drive straight into Leeds city centre and park slap bang outside the train station for free. All day.

At least that is what some posters on here would have you believe.

Why would any one on Earth want to park in Leeds

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

He used to be the major events manager and he’s been parking services manager for the past few years. So, he knows the city centre and how it all works better than most and he’s a very nice chap too.

Hmmm... :huh:

I bet it wound a few SCC planning employees up a bit when someone decided that a Sports Management "expert" knew more about town planning than the long serving members of the SCC planning department.

Not that any of us should be surprised by that!

Some of those "planning experts" were probably even so miffed...
... that they no longer work for SCC! :hihi:

7 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I bet it wound a few SCC planning employees up a bit when someone decided that a Sports Management "expert" knew more about town planning than the long serving members of the SCC planning department.

We were working on a scaffold on Burnaby Street , When A official rom the council turned up to inspect the Scaffold , 

i knew him he used to work at Firth Browns. in the wages dept . His name is Louie , 

I said  "Whats tha know about scaffolding "  His reply  "Its not what you  know but who you know".

This was brought home to me when my own brother in law got a job as building dangerious structure officer in Poole , He had been in the Navy all his life

20 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Event management isn’t spatial planning ( ie what most people think of as council planners) or transport planning ( me) they are completely different things.

Putting a temporary structure in a public place for a limited period isn’t something that spatial planners or transport planners would get involved in. It’s very much within the city centre management / events arena, so is certainly something you could expect that officer to be leading on.

44 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Why would any one on Earth want to park in Leeds

Same reasons anyone would want to park in Sheffield.

56 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

His team don’t set the parking charges, rules or policies, they just enforce them.

Parking rules, charges or enforcement don’t deter most folk from visiting the city centre. It’s what anyone would expect in a major city. 

There’s plenty of parking in the city centre, it’s easy to get to and the prices are reasonable compared to similar cities. Most of the off street parking is private sector controlled anyway.

Must say, quite predictable of you to say that.

The on street  parking is scattered all over the place, and just because it is on a par cost with other places (that may actually have something worth visiting for) doesn't make it reasonable or attractive. And saying something in the town centre is easy to get to, is just fantasy.  

The town centre is on it's knees, Meadowhall is flourishing.

Carry on ignoring that. 

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Event management isn’t spatial planning ( ie what most people think of as council planners) or transport planning ( me) they are completely different things.

Putting a temporary structure in a public place for a limited period isn’t something that spatial planners or transport planners would get involved in. It’s very much within the city centre management / events arena, so is certainly something you could expect that officer to be leading on.

Same reasons anyone would want to park in Sheffield.

No , there’s no reason to go to Leeds 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackydog said:

Must say, quite predictable of you to say that.

The on street  parking is scattered all over the place, and just because it is on a par cost with other places (that may actually have something worth visiting for) doesn't make it reasonable or attractive. And saying something in the town centre is easy to get to, is just fantasy.  

The town centre is on it's knees, Meadowhall is flourishing.

Carry on ignoring that. 

The city centre has problems that all towns and cities are facing. The city centre is also not just about shops. You can’t just compare it to a shopping centre. There are other businesses, offices, universities, hotels, leisure facilities etc etc and people live there.

As you suggest, it’s the overall “offer” of a place which determines how attractive a place is to visitors. People visiting town and city centres expect to pay for parking. There isn’t a town or city of any size that I know of that gives free parking. (Nothing is free, it has a cost associated with it).

The on street parking is on streets, so of course it’s scattered around. It’s only a small proportion of the overall amount of parking in the city centre. The car parks are well signed, conveniently placed and easy to get to from the inner ring road.

Guest busdriver1

I work for a company that used to make deliveries to a city centre establishment. We have had to inform the customer that we are no longer able to make deliveries there due to road closures and restrictive loading bays. The customer now has goods delivered to their home address and has to make their own arrangements to get them to her premises., Progress? 

Given her business was struggling as it was she has recently informed us she will be closing her business and moving elsewhere so she can get daily deliveries made and she is sure - to get a higher footfall. 

16 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I work for a company that used to make deliveries to a city centre establishment. We have had to inform the customer that we are no longer able to make deliveries there due to road closures and restrictive loading bays. The customer now has goods delivered to their home address and has to make their own arrangements to get them to her premises., Progress? 

Given her business was struggling as it was she has recently informed us she will be closing her business and moving elsewhere so she can get daily deliveries made and she is sure - to get a higher footfall. 

Times change, places change, businesses change with them.

You can’t plan a city centre around one business.