Shipping Containers Coming To Fargate

9 hours ago, blackydog said:

Free parking and (relative) ease of access, seems to work for Meadowhall but wouldn't work for the city centre? 

Name any city in the UK or Western Europe that offers free parking and doesn’t have traffic restrictions. No one else does. Why do you think it would work here. There is no evidence anywhere to support that theory.

Meadowhall was planned, designed and built with ease of car access in mind. It’s designed as a shopping and leisure centre. Their business model from day 1 has been to offer free parking to customers ( which the businesses there actually pay for through their rents)

The city centre has grown organically from a small settlement hundreds of years ago. It was not originally planned and built to accommodate cars. It’s the base for a huge number of businesses, shops, leisure facilities, hotels, and it has lots of housing.

The two are not the same, they are nothing like each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Most of it was , two markets , supertram , court house , main police station, cathedral , leisure centre etc 

No, don’t agree. The city centre stretched from Moorfoot to Wicker.

Cathedral is in the middle of that and so is the tram.

Most people think that the city centre was too stretched out anyway.

21 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

You win .   But what about jobs for the boys , Unqualified  boys its not what you know its who you know . 

Utter rubbish. Might have happened many years ago, well before my time, but I’m sure it also happened in the private sector too.

I’ve worked in local government since the 1970’s and every job I’ve ever seen has had a recruitment process. I have never ever seen any trace of “jobs for the boys” or heard of anyone trying to influence the results of any recruitment exercise ( and I’ve done a fair bit of recruitment in my time).

59 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The fact you have answered my point in this way says it all.

It says you haven’t made your point clearly enough. I’m a simple chap. Just say what you mean.

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

No, don’t agree. The city centre stretched from Moorfoot to Wicker.

Cathedral is in the middle of that and so is the tram.

Most people think that the city centre was too stretched out anyway.

So move everyone away from the middle and a good transport network. Why not rebuild the area with most facilities? 

23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So move everyone away from the middle and a good transport network. Why not rebuild the area with most facilities? 

I believe they’ve regenerated the bit that the private sector were prepared to fund. ( the Moor). They’ve now secured some funding to rebuild the public realm on Fargate, which might stimulate some private investment there. There’s seldom enough money to do everything you’d want in the exact order you’d like to do it. 

Fair play to you Planner1. I only come on here occasionally but every time I do, you are deep into it trying to add your own brand of objectivity and reasoned argument. I don’t always agree with you (well, very rarely do TBF), but I do admire your tenacity. Merry Xmas and a happy new year to you and everyone else