Airport Delays

We are flying within a few days from eastmidlands airport with TUI many of our friends have had cancellations at short notice after long waits of over 6 hours at the terminal.

How are the decisions whether flights are going ahead or not or is it a combination, availability of crew and support staff. Might seem a daft question but why are the decisions been left so late in the day, surely they must know the number of staff they have available for the flights to be dispatched safely maybe more than a few days or weeks prior.

The problem stems from two things. HMG flip flopped with COVID regulations and prevented airlines from knowing when they could start recruitment again and restart flights (+ Omicron made it worse). Then, for reasons I simply cannot fathom, the airlines (collectively, it seems), ramped up their schedules to 85% capacity...but without sufficient staff (cabin crew, baggage handlers etc.) and didn't account for continued COVID infections. I've just moved back to the UK from overseas and I'll be honest...it's absolutely embarrassing.

I've no special knowledge, but surely at least part of it would be the fact that they can't forcast weeks, or even days in advance who will test positive for Covid (or otherwise be unavailable through other illnesses).  They will have minimum numbers they must observe for health and safety regarding cabin crew members, baggage handlers, and of course the pilot.

Indeed, its impossible to know how many infections there'll be. The logical thing to do would have been to, for example, increase to say 40% pre-covid flight capacity but aim for 50% staff numbers. That way, you build in a 20% margin for staff being off sick. I honestly believe its far better to have a reduced schedule and dissapoint people with a lack of flights, rather than cancel flights at the last minute. 

41 minutes ago, forgeman said:

Could it be the staff  have found other jobs and or do not intend to return to the industry after the height of the pandemic.

I'd be inclined to agree with this, with post Brexit/Covid making it a perfect storm. Why would the seemingly glamorous job of cabin crew have to deal with drunk stag/hen parties day in day out. Why should security on minimum wage get short shrift from passengers for following ever changing procedure made by people way above their pay scale. Why should baggage handlers get bad backs etc by meeting targets they can never meet in turning planes around. 

3 hours ago, Outwardbounds said:

We are flying within a few days from eastmidlands airport with TUI many of our friends have had cancellations at short notice after long waits of over 6 hours at the terminal.

How are the decisions whether flights are going ahead or not or is it a combination, availability of crew and support staff. Might seem a daft question but why are the decisions been left so late in the day, surely they must know the number of staff they have available for the flights to be dispatched safely maybe more than a few days or weeks prior.

I dont think TUI have been cancelling from EMA. Manchester, yes.

42 minutes ago, carosio said:

Dropped a friend off there on 24th may 7.30am and departure lounge seemed largely empty, she caught her flight to Spain 1 hr later.

In the current climate only dropping someone off for an international flight an hour before it goes isnt the most sensible thing in the world tbh. Its pot luck if an airport has queues or not at the moment.

Edited by HeHasRisen

41 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I dont think TUI have been cancelling from EMA. Manchester, yes.

In the current climate only dropping someone off for an international flight an hour before it goes isnt the most sensible thing in the world tbh. Its pot luck if an airport has queues or not at the moment.

Agree,  but with hindsight it might have been at least 2 hrs before the flight, and the arrival time was at the passenger's request.

Current problems appear to be due to holiday time?