Why Do We Have Job Centres?

reading the news and talking to business people with such a shortage of staff and the goverment with there top ups of wages,why have we got job centres , as theres more jobs than people to fill them,businesses  say they cannot meet demand for many occasions,so why do people sign on,i was always told its easier to get a better job if you have a job,so why? the  social top up,give extras and guarantee you will be better off,so why?

why do we pay folk to stop at home? why not better yourself?   it makes people wonder does it not.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I had to read this thread just to figure out what on earth it was about - and this from a respected poster, presumably having a bad day!

I reckon he's been eating Acholic Beef Burgers. 🍔

16 hours ago, bassett one said:

reading the news and talking to business people with such a shortage of staff and the goverment with there top ups of wages,why have we got job centres , as theres more jobs than people to fill them,businesses  say they cannot meet demand for many occasions,so why do people sign on,i was always told its easier to get a better job if you have a job,so why? the  social top up,give extras and guarantee you will be better off,so why?

why do we pay folk to stop at home? why not better yourself?   it makes people wonder does it not.

Why? 

Combination of laziness and successive government's failure to tackle the 'can work, won't work' sections of society.

For me the job-centre and job-seekers system needs to change. Those that are capable of work should be given 6 months to find their own job whilst being supported by welfare. During those 6 months their skills and knowledge base should be tested, upskilling courses offered etc.

After 6 months, if they've still not found a job then the JC should allocate them one, based on the previous testing/upskilling, obviously checking various suitability criteria. Refuse to work the allocated job then you lose the right to claim welfare. 

This is a system that works in other countries. 

• Like 1