Why Do We Have Job Centres?

26 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why not,put a sale sign in a shop window upside down ,it gets noticed a lot  more and the thread title got you to notice did it not? so thats the answer

.Bassett Mr. analogy good very a that's

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Lastly, technology is everywhere, and increasing in every job. Not all people can cope with it. Just because they can work a mobile phone doesn't mean they can cope with complex IT systems.

Nope. I am not accepting this, how much longer can this sorry excuse keep being rolled out about technology and training. 

Even the oldest people still in the working world on the cusp of retirement, would have had at least 25 years of their career exposed to or be using mainstream computer systems, mobile phones and the internet.

For the vast majority of people in the workforce, they've had even longer career exposure to

'modern' day work technology and its newfangled concepts. 

Even way back the 70s computers were starting to infiltrate the office and by the end of the 80s it was becoming the norm. Mobile phones have been common by the 1990s as was the internet.  Since the late-2000s onwards, even the most 'manual' of operations has at some point involved computing or mobile technology. Warehouse workers, checkout cashiers, delivery drivers, labourers, builders, receptionists even cleaners will at some point have their hand touched by the silicon chip.

You keep trying to portray that there are entire swathes of workers out there who can't cope beyond pad and pencil or filling in forms on carbon paper chits.   I say nonsense. They have had more than ample opportunities to learn for at minimum half of their career time. It's called adapting.  If they don't know, they need to be retraining or taking courses pretty sharpish to drag themselves into a working world which has been in existence for 20 to 30 years.They can't sit there refusing to embrace change and then be moaning about being left behind.

Generations before had to cope as will the future ones.  One of my relatives had a career with British Telecom starting off in dusty old switchrooms with plug and cord boards, by the time they retired they had to adapt to continual change in computerisation and auto call switching including learning code, bits of programming and keyboarding skills as late as into their 60s.  

I have friends who work in house clearance and Council renovation roles where they had to learn over the years increased use in computerised reports, filling in forms online to be sent back to their base, mobile technology and the use of tablets when on sites.

Even in my own legal career, I started in an era of of dusty old law books, dictating letters on tape for Miss Smith to type up on electric typewriters. I've had to evolve to using online case management programs, web-based law journals and virtual court hearings.  By the time I reach retirement there will likely be mainstream use of voice recognition, artificial intelligence and automated documents.

The evolution of the workplace and its technology has always been moving forward.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Nope. I am not accepting this, how much longer can this sorry excuse keep being rolled out about technology and training. 

Even the oldest people still in the working world on the cusp of retirement, would have had at least 25 years of their career exposed to or be using mainstream computer systems, mobile phones and the internet.

For the vast majority of people in the workforce, they've had even longer career exposure to

'modern' day work technology and its newfangled concepts. 

Even way back the 70s computers were starting to infiltrate the office and by the end of the 80s it was becoming the norm. Mobile phones have been common by the 1990s as was the internet.  Since the late-2000s onwards, even the most 'manual' of operations has at some point involved computing or mobile technology. Warehouse workers, checkout cashiers, delivery drivers, labourers, builders, receptionists even cleaners will at some point have their hand touched by the silicon chip.

You keep trying to portray that there are entire swathes of workers out there who can't cope beyond pad and pencil or filling in forms on carbon paper chits.   I say nonsense. They have had more than ample opportunities to learn for at minimum half of their career time. It's called adapting.  If they don't know, they need to be retraining or taking courses pretty sharpish to drag themselves into a working world which has been in existence for 20 to 30 years.They can't sit there refusing to embrace change and then be moaning about being left behind.

Generations before had to cope as will the future ones.  One of my relatives had a career with British Telecom starting off in dusty old switchrooms with plug and cord boards, by the time they retired they had to adapt to continual change in computerisation and auto call switching including learning code, bits of programming and keyboarding skills as late as into their 60s.  

I have friends who work in house clearance and Council renovation roles where they had to learn over the years increased use in computerised reports, filling in forms online to be sent back to their base, mobile technology and the use of tablets when on sites.

Even in my own legal career, I started in an era of of dusty old law books, dictating letters on tape for Miss Smith to type up on electric typewriters. I've had to evolve to using online case management programs, web-based law journals and virtual court hearings.  By the time I reach retirement there will likely be mainstream use of voice recognition, artificial intelligence and automated documents.

The evolution of the workplace and its technology has always been moving forward.

I still can't manage to do a Jigsaw Puzzle ?

8 hours ago, Resident said:

For me the job-centre and job-seekers system needs to change. Those that are capable of work should be given 6 months to find their own job whilst being supported by welfare. During those 6 months their skills and knowledge base should be tested, upskilling courses offered etc.

After 6 months, if they've still not found a job then the JC should allocate them one, based on the previous testing/upskilling, obviously checking various suitability criteria. Refuse to work the allocated job then you lose the right to claim welfare. 

This is a system that works in other countries. 

Which countries?

4 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

People don't seem to be aware that when you're signing on, you have to show continuous efforts of applying for jobs, going for job interviews etc, or they cut your benefit off.

Wouldn’t working be easier? In my 70s, I’ve been retired a few years, I volunteer now.  Fortunately my health is ok.  I can’t imagine, unless I had poor health/disability, not working when I was younger. Its not just about money, its about responsibility, for ourselves and our dependents. Its about having choices, and being a good role model for your children.

There are jobs, permanent ones. NHS in Sheffield has over 50 less skilled jobs, https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/search_vacancy/

And many more higher paid.  The council is always recruiting too.  Look at the apprenticeships for young people along with the other jobs here. https://ce0369li.webitrent.com/ce0369li_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC105GF?USESSION=D9A10E6D35FAF0C67AFBA85BFF10C3DC&WVID=658647Iqms&LANG=USA

Edited by Ms Macbeth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Wouldn’t working be easier? In my 70s, I’ve been retired a few years, I volunteer now.  Fortunately my health is ok.  I can’t imagine, unless I had poor health/disability, not working when I was younger. Its not just about money, its about responsibility, for ourselves and our dependents. Its about having choices, and being a good role model for your children.

And keeping you sane too. I had 3 months off after selling my business and couldn't last any longer. Went back to work and felt much better. Its good to have routines and structures and a purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1