Tv Screen Sizes

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

How do the manufacturers make any money these days, I’ve recently purchased a 32” HD Smart set that had the greatest clarity of any tv that I’ve seen or just under £180.00?

The reality is they are being manufactured as simply as shelling peas in massive town size factory floors by rows of workers on back to back rolling shifts for pennies an hour.

We simple consumers get in awe about the technological wonderment and wizardry that makes these giant screens with the perceived ridiculously low bargain price on the shop shelf.... but I bet the actual base cost of manufacturing the TV set is about a 10th of that.  

15 hours ago, carosio said:

In a large room, even a 65" screen gets lost when it's wall mounted. At that size though it's starting to test Standard Definition  quality.

+1.

We went 65” last year around Black Friday (or some similar price-slashing occasion), a one-time and long-overdue upgrade from the creaky 50” LG that I’d bought for £100 on Shpock as a gaming TV years ago (and which has now been re-retired to ‘gaming monitor’).

We’d had one of the first ‘flagship’ full LEDs by LG, ‘smart’ 47” affair, for years and years beforehand (with built-in obsolescence: Youtube stopped working after 5 or 6 years, when the platform updated its codecs, and the TV/OS had ceased to be supported), until it got broken 6 months before we left the UK.

So, I wasn’t in a rush to repeat the experience (£££££ on a TV, that works less and less well over time, and needs ‘boxes’ to keep functionalities)

5-starred What HiFi, €1200 or so middle-range smart QLED affair from Samsung, and not that noticeably larger relative to the 50” (it’s a large and well-lit room). Could have gone up in size, still, and the room would have taken it…but I don’t watch that much TV, and wasn’t sure the stand would take it.

Some of the monster TV sets that our local white goods store had on display, though…you could tell you were in Luxembourg, they looked like 9ft across (IIRC they were 120” or 132” or something like that), with a €30k price tag to match 😳

No chance you’d “lose” these, they must be visible from the entire neighbourhood!

Edited by L00b

On 18/06/2022 at 15:53, HeHasRisen said:

I have a Smart tv and I cant control it from outside my house, maybe you are misunderstanding the term.

Why would you be trying to control your telly outside, have you misunderstood the term,  Garden Furniture. :hihi:

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

Why would you be trying to control your telly outside, have you misunderstood the term,  Garden Furniture. :hihi:

Have you actually read the post I quoted?

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, L00b said:

+1.

We went 65” last year around Black Friday (or some similar price-slashing occasion), a one-time and long-overdue upgrade from the creaky 50” LG that I’d bought for £100 on Shpock as a gaming TV years ago (and which has now been re-retired to ‘gaming monitor’).

We’d had one of the first ‘flagship’ full LEDs by LG, ‘smart’ 47” affair, for years and years beforehand (with built-in obsolescence: Youtube stopped working after 5 or 6 years, when the platform updated its codecs, and the TV/OS had ceased to be supported), until it got broken 6 months before we left the UK.

So, I wasn’t in a rush to repeat the experience (£££££ on a TV, that works less and less well over time, and needs ‘boxes’ to keep functionalities)

5-starred What HiFi, €1200 or so middle-range smart QLED affair from Samsung, and not that noticeably larger relative to the 50” (it’s a large and well-lit room). Could have gone up in size, still, and the room would have taken it…but I don’t watch that much TV, and wasn’t sure the stand would take it.

Some of the monster TV sets that our local white goods store had on display, though…you could tell you were in Luxembourg, they looked like 9ft across (IIRC they were 120” or 132” or something like that), with a €30k price tag to match 😳

No chance you’d “lose” these, they must be visible from the entire neighbourhood!

Mines a 55" Sony, 2015 vintage but still a decent pic apart from "grey" black levels. Can't go much bigger as I can hardly get to the front window as it is. Not too keen on wall mounts, not kind to my neck!

It's unlikely that I will want to pay for 4K subscription services but the next tv will be a 4k (at present only a handful of free HD channels). Why? Well we have blue ray and internet sources , and what's often overlooked is the potential for displaying hi-res photos from smartphones and camcorders.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Have you actually read the post I quoted?

Perhaps the original poster was referring to Miracast, the wi-fi app that can allows a smartphone to project its images onto a smart tv's screen. I did it on a friend's tv, she wondered what was happening! Possibly could work outside the house depending on walls, etc.

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

Mines a 55" Sony, 2015 vintage but still a decent pic apart from "grey" black levels. Can't go much bigger as I can hardly get to the front window as it is. Not too keen on wall mounts, not kind to my neck!

Don't get put off it as it can save a bit of space by doing that. A common mistake made by a great deal of people is to mount the TV too high on the wall so you have to look up which is unnatural hence the neck problems, it's what I call the pub effect.

11 minutes ago, carosio said:

It's unlikely that I will want to pay for 4K subscription services but the next tv will be a 4k (at present only a handful of free HD channels). Why? Well we have blue ray and internet sources , and what's often overlooked is the potential for displaying hi-res photos from smartphones and camcorders.

Most modern TV these days also do a good job of upscaling a standard HD TV picture on a 4k TV so it looks much better and clearer. On my 50" 4k TV it's hard to notice the difference between Standard HD and 4k when watching films at the normal distance for viewing.

I did have an Amazon Prime 4k subscription but then realised that a lot of the content I was viewing was actually 1080p and not 4k.