Tv Screen Sizes

On 01/07/2022 at 11:38, Waldo said:

Yes, 4k TV's absolutely shines on some YouTube 4k content, esp. where it's super sharp, almost designed to look good in 4k.

I think for day to day TV, the improvement (4k vs 1080p) is not something you're going to notice. We get normal TV channels from FREESAT, and I think even the handful of HD channels, are only 1080p. Not sure if the situation is any better with FREEVIEW (using a digital arial etc?

So far as streaming services; we sometimes have Amazon Prime Video, which has a few 4k things; I think for Netflix, you need their most expensive package to get 4k, £16 ish quid per month I think?

You make some good points.

Live TV is mostly SD quality. Most better quality new TV's do have good hardware to upscale, but it still doesn't look great (IMO) I decided to drop live TV and put the money towards streaming services, also buying UHD-BR.

4K and 4K HDR certainly looks excellent. I was a bit of a naysayer until I got one and saw the difference for myself.

I went for a 65" 4k HDR after weeks of reading up and getting a better understanding on the new technologies, and which TV to go for. I have a large living room, so the big TV doesn't look out of place.

It's personal choice but I'll never go back to a small screen, lower resolution TV.

1 hour ago, zach said:

I went for a 65" 4k HDR after weeks of reading up and getting a better understanding on the new technologies, and which TV to go for. I have a large living room, so the big TV doesn't look out of place.

Nice!

We only got a 50 inch 4k TV. I personally wanted bigger, but other people involved in the decision.

I think ours is HDR, not sure what it means or stands for, High Dynamic Range maybe?

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Nice!

We only got a 50 inch 4k TV. I personally wanted bigger, but other people involved in the decision.

I think ours is HDR, not sure what it means or stands for, High Dynamic Range maybe?

I still have my old 50" 1080p Tesco special.  As a screen size, it isn't bad. It just looks quite small when you're used to the bigger TV.

If your TV is HDR, definitely give it a go with a proper HDR film or Documentary (Anything you want really) You might have to alter the settings. I found the default a bit too dark. Like anything new to us, a bit of trial and error, and we get there.

I remember when 405 lines went over to 625 lines (on BBC2 only at that time)!

While many uprade to the latest large screen with highest fidelity picure (and why not), the audio side tends to be ignored (provided it's intelligible), and the speaker systems are squeezed into the bottom corners of the set. Bigger speakers would spoil the sleek looks, wouldn't they?

The sound potential is quite good (TV audio standards) and you don't necessarily have to invest in an expensive 'cinema sound' system. I couple mine up to the hi-fi system, makes a huge difference with films, musical performances etc. I take the TV's optical output into a D/A converter, then feed into the  analogue audio amplifier.

On 27/06/2022 at 13:39, carosio said:

Can't go much bigger as I can hardly get to the front window as it is. Not too keen on wall mounts, not kind to my neck!

I can never understand why people wall mount the TV really high. It wouldn't be kind to my neck either. The wall mount is good for saving space, but just fix it at at eye level when you're sat down (or there about), much more comfortable IMO.

23 hours ago, carosio said:

I remember when 405 lines went over to 625 lines (on BBC2 only at that time)!

While many uprade to the latest large screen with highest fidelity picure (and why not), the audio side tends to be ignored (provided it's intelligible), and the speaker systems are squeezed into the bottom corners of the set. Bigger speakers would spoil the sleek looks, wouldn't they?

The sound potential is quite good (TV audio standards) and you don't necessarily have to invest in an expensive 'cinema sound' system. I couple mine up to the hi-fi system, makes a huge difference with films, musical performances etc. I take the TV's optical output into a D/A converter, then feed into the  analogue audio amplifier.

It's like most things, you get what you pay for. The sound on mine is fairly good, it has Atmos built in etc. Even with whistles and bells, it wasn't what I thought was great. I ended up getting an Atmos soundbar with wireless sub and wireless rear speakers (Got for a good price as I bought the telly). I set the PC up to 5.1 and it sounds great, I set it up for Atmos, all the other sounds are fantastic, but I can't hardly hear any of the spoken words. It's run via ARC as optical can't handle some of the newer sound formats (apparently) So for now it will stay on 5.1, when I get really bored, I'll look deeper into the Atmos settings. 

A lot of fancy words but the same concept as yours...TV > Amplifier > Better Speakers.