This Could Be The Biggest Recession Since The 1930s

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Britain has undergone a SeaChange, starting in the 80s and finally coming to fruition now, nearly 50 years later.

It's important to see the whole picture so 'lessons can be learned.' 

- Unfettered Toryism leads to Neoliberalism, leads to fascism, leads to blood on the streets.

We are now one of the most unequal societies in the world.

Pigeons coming home to roost....

In your fevered imagination.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Britain has undergone a SeaChange, starting in the 80s and finally coming to fruition now, nearly 50 years later.

It's important to see the whole picture so 'lessons can be learned.' 

- Unfettered Toryism leads to Neoliberalism, leads to fascism, leads to blood on the streets.

We are now one of the most unequal societies in the world.

Pigeons coming home to roost....

I read that as Sexchange Anna.

Could be some truth in that :hihi:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Just in case people need reminding how neutral you are politically!

What did I say which was incorrect ? 

I accept the percentages could vary a bit one way or the other but they are pretty much in the right ball park I would have thought.

12 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You got it right in your first line    -    the rest is redundant rubbish.

Yes,  the economy is in tatters and the government in charge for the last 13 years must accept responsibility especially when they added Brexit to the situation.

Knowing you,  you'll find a way of blaming Labour for it all but that's just the weird way your mind works.

The rest of the world is doing much better by the way,  in case you're going to blame the pandemic.   You maybe think we were the only country who had it.

Then UK has been more affected by the suppression of society during Covid because :

1 - The UK is more reliant on service industries.

2 - The UK was more generous with its furlough than just about any other country. Something Labour wanted even more of BTW.

>>the rest is redundant rubbish.<<

It really isn't, and I note you have not tried to directly dispute any of it :

Brexit is maybe responsible for about 20% of our economic malaise.

It could be argued that one cannot blame the government for leaving the EU when the country voted for it (however dishonest the campaigns were), but, since this government is stuffed full of Leavers I think we can still assign that to them.

The Ukraine war may be responsible for another 20%, but all parties have the same policy on that, which I wholeheartedly support anyway, so I am prepared to write that off as not being the fault of the Tories.

Still at 20%

Suppressing society and the economy for Covid is probably responsible for 60% of our current economic disaster.

However, even if we'd followed the sensible course and gone for targeted shielding it'd still have done big damage, but maybe only a quarter as bad (maybe less but we'll go with 25%) ?

So take 25% of 60% is about 15%, leaving 45% as down to general suppression. 

Therefore, the government (i.e. the Tories) are responsible for 65% (20% + 45%) of our predicament.

BUT, Labour also supported suppressing society and the economy, so, in a fight between the two, that 45% cannot be laid at the door of the Tories by Labour.

So, unless Labour want to be guilty of gross hypocrisy, they can only blame the government for about 20% of the economic situation.

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

This is the funniest post [copied above] that I’ve ever read on this forum.

Bravo Checkers. You are truly beyond compare.

Except for the obvious comparison with Alan Partridge, of course.

I notice you have not tried to debate or refute any of the points. 

As mentioned above I accept that the percentages may be arguable one way or the other,  but they are definitely in the right ballpark.

Edited by Chekhov

21 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Then UK has been more affected by the suppression of society during Covid because :

1 - The UK is more reliant on service industries.

2 - The UK was more generous with its furlough than just about any other country. Something Labour wanted even more of BTW.

It really isn't, and I note you have not tried to directly dispute any of it :

Brexit is maybe responsible for about 20% of our economic malaise.

It could be argued that one cannot blame the government for leaving the EU when the country voted for it (however dishonest the campaigns were), but, since this government is stuffed full of Leavers I think we can still assign that to them.

The Ukraine war may be responsible for another 20%, but all parties have the same policy on that, which I wholeheartedly support anyway, so I am prepared to write that off as not being the fault of the Tories.

Still at 20%

Suppressing society and the economy for Covid is probably responsible for 60% of our current economic disaster.

However, even if we'd followed the sensible course and gone for targeted shielding it'd still have done big damage, but maybe only a quarter as bad (maybe less but we'll go with 25%) ?

So take 25% of 60% is about 15%, leaving 45% as down to general suppression. 

Therefore, the government (i.e. the Tories) are responsible for 65% (20% + 45%) of our predicament.

BUT, Labour also supported suppressing society and the economy, so, in a fight between the two, that 45% cannot be laid at the door of the Tories by Labour.

So, unless Labour want to be guilty of gross hypocrisy, they can only blame the government for about 20% of the economic situation.

I notice you have not tried to debate or refute any of the points. 

As mentioned above I accept that the percentages may be arguable one way or the other,  but they are definitely in the right ballpark.

! - Correct  -  Who' was responsible for that ?     -     British Conservative government

2 - Probably correct because I don't know the figures     -     Who was responsible for that ?     -     British Conservative government

There you are   -   I've disputed it    -   with the truth.

The rest of it is redundant rubbish with nothing but Chekhov's figures  straight from Chekhov's imagination.

I've now disputed the lot and tried to keep it short so as not to confuse you.

The current Free Market Economics financial system has got way out of hand, and is unsustainable. We are getting close to another major financial crash which will require a complete reset.

That, and all the other problems we face as a society, such as inequality, food security, energy shortages and global warming are adding up to a Perfect Storm. 

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

The current Free Market Economics financial system has got way out of hand, and is unsustainable. We are getting close to another major financial crash which will require a complete reset.

That, and all the other problems we face as a society, such as inequality, food security, energy shortages and global warming is adding up to a Perfect Storm. 

Lol

You don't have anything resembling a "Free Market Economic System".

What you have is a huge monopoly, being run by incompetent social workers, who have no idea how goods and services are efficiently  produced and distributed.

Elected by a selfish dependent society, who just want more free stuff!

In free markets, inefficient and corrupt corporations are allowed to fail. This makes way for other, more capable entrepreneurs, with better ideas and outcomes.

Actually business failures are an essential part of truly free markets.

Propping up failed and failing institutions at home, and corrupt States internationally (See "Humanitarian Aid" to sworn enemies of democracy) is just perpetuates the problem.

You pigeons ALWAYS come home to roost, Anna.  :)

And there's no leadership on the horizon, to change anything soon.

'Great' Britain, R.I.P.

Edited by trastrick

On 04/08/2023 at 12:12, Organgrinder said:

The rest of it is redundant rubbish with nothing but Chekhov's figures  straight from Chekhov's imagination.

There you go again, not debating just insulting.

Tell us, what would you estimate were the percentages for why our present economic fix, out of :

1 - Brexit

2 - Ukraine war

3 - Suppressing society and the economy for nearly two years (to a greater or lesser extent) to try and combat Covid

And, one assumes, you cannot say "I have no idea", because I gave some estimates and you said they were "rubbish". Therefore, one assumes, you have some ideas.

So, come on, what are your estimates, and why ?

Edited by Chekhov

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

There you go again, not debating just insulting.

Tell us, what would you estimate were the percentages for why our present economic fix, out of :

1 - Brexit

2 - Ukraine war

3 - Suppressing society and the economy for nearly two years (to a greater or lesser extent) to try and combat Covid

And, one assumes, you cannot say "I have no idea", because I gave some estimates and you said they were "rubbish". Therefore, one assumes, you have some ideas.

So, come on, what are your estimates, and why ?

I don't converse with liars