This Could Be The Biggest Recession Since The 1930s

16 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am really worried, hold on to your hats, this is going to hurt, and possibly for years and years.

With inflation at 15% the government want a 3% cap on pay increases for our public sector workforce of millions.

That is 12% shortfall, how much hurt were you expecting?

Perhaps a pay/inflation gap of two or three percent per year would be better?

It’s hard to compare the 30’s with today, my grandparents lived in a 3 bed council house with their two schoolgirl daughters. My grandad worked at Steel Peach & Tozer and was the single wage earner. They didn’t go on holidays and spent their time very locally, no HP, no central heating, noTV, no car, no pub, so if the one wage covered rent, food, coal and clothing they were fine, my grandad even cycled to and from work.

4 hours ago, rogets said:

It's almost like the economy is being demolished on purpose

It's not, there is nothing anyone can do, the damage has been done, after March 2020 (mainly).....

The bill is being paid as we speak, and for years probably.

Edited by Chekhov

2 minutes ago, rogets said:

Seen a couple of army lorries on the motorway 

Don't want to scare people 

But what's going off? 

The army does keep going.

It doesn't mean anything.

Moving goods, training exercises, road testing etc etc

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

THATS why i cannot understand lots of jobs ,many simple ,but still folk not working,i always thought take a job then a employer is more likely to set you on the job you want when it comes up,its wrong that people refuse to take a job,even if its basic money,the goverment make up extras if needed,now they are saying we must get in labour from abroad to do basic tasks as people signing on wont take the jobs,thats not right surely

I suspet that a lot of the jobs might be simple but require a fair amount of fitness and stamina which a lot of older people aren't able to do. Working in a warehouse for example is a young person's job with a great deal of speedy walking about, as is a lot of work in hospitality, and crop picking very much so. 

We are now expecting people to work till 66, and some especially those nearing retirement age who have recently been made redundant from sedentary jobs, may just not be fit enough.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

With inflation at 15% the government want a 3% cap on pay increases for our public sector workforce of millions.

That is 12% shortfall, how much hurt were you expecting?

Perhaps a pay/inflation gap of two or three percent per year would be better?

Billion and Billions of pounds were spent during the pandemic on essentially unproductive stuff, like furlough and Test & Trace. The bill for that is in, people will feel economic pain for years. TINA (there is no alternative)